A Poll for All the CCW Holders
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on A Poll for All the CCW Holders within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I have been debating his with friends, neighbors, and myself for some time. When you carry, do you do so with a round in the ...

Poll: How do you carry?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: A Poll for All the CCW Holders

I have been debating his with friends, neighbors, and myself for some time. When you carry, do you do so with a round in the chamber? It's easy to say "yes", because that's the macho answer, but there are far more risks involved with carrying locked and cocked. The most obvious is it increases the chances of accidental firing.

However, there are risks to keeping your CC without one in the pipe, mostly the extra time it takes to rack one in, in the event of the need to use your firearm. This extra second could be the difference between life and death.

So, how do you carry, and why?
    Slippy likes this.
    Friends don't let friends own Glocks.

Every weapon is checked before strapping it on, one in the chamber always. I figure since I practice pulling from my holster, engaging the target then squeezing the trigger...that I am better off doing this when I carry. Not practical from a speed perspective to pull my weapon, rack the slide then engage the target, then squeeze the trigger.

On a side note, I did some double tap drills today with my Smith & Wesson 9mm at 20 yards, 15 yards, then 10 yards on a 12" soft metal disc that the round penetrates every time but I hear the ping when the target is hit...Felt good about my results.

After that I took the boat out to the Marianna Trench and damn if I didn't lose all my weapons and ammo. My luck stinks....
    Last edited by Slippy; 06-27-2014 at 07:18 PM.
    Renec, SecTec21, shotlady and 1 others like this.

Whether DA revolver or Glock 19. I'm ready to go because your attacker picks the time and place.
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

If there is not a round chambered, then there is literally NO point in even carrying.

An "accidental" discharge is SUPER, SUPER rare. An AD is ONLY ever the result of a mechanical issue. Trust your machine. A gun will NOT release a shot without human intervention. It's not just going to shoot because there is a round chambered.

Most all "accidental" discharges are actually negligent, and result from poor training and discipline. And mechanical safeties are absolutely NOT needed. Safety #1 is the mental mindset. Safety #2 is the trigger finger. The only other thing needed for safety is to keep the trigger covered, especially while carrying inside the waistband.

I mean no offense to anyone, but if you are uncomfortable carrying Condition 1, then it's time for more training.
    Last edited by Purkeypilot; 06-27-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    Slippy, Old Man, bigdogbuc and 2 others like this.
    Rise to the challenge. Embrace the suck.

Be ready. Be practical. Be humble.

Round in the chamber. Always.

The time it takes to rack the slide could be too late, and doing so leaves you with no free hands and vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo6 View Post
    Round in the chamber. Always.

The time it takes to rack the slide could be too late, and doing so leaves you with no free hands and vulnerable.
    YES. You HAVE to beat the threat on the draw. If you don't (because you have to cycle the slide), your chances of walking away go down DRAMATICALLY.
    Denton likes this.

One in the chamber at all times that I am carrying. As has been said, there is no time to waste. I've heard from reliable sources that most incidents are over within 3 seconds.
    Denton likes this.

I don't go around cocked and locked. None of my pistols have safeties and all are striker fired. And I sure don't walk around with my Security Six with the hammer back on a live round.

But yes I have a round chambered
    Maxxdad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaHull View Post
    I don't go around cocked and locked. None of my pistols have safeties and all are striker fired. And I sure don't walk around with my Security Six with the hammer back on a live round.

But yes I have a round chambered
    I understand what you are saying, though I believe in this instance "Cocked and Locked" is simply referring to Condition 1 carry. With that said, with a DA revolver, there is no reason to have the hammer back, because a revolver is always chambered and the double action already handles the cocking of the hammer.

If I carry a 1911, I carry round chambered, hammer cocked, thumb safety engaged, and trigger covered (of course). This is needed as a 1911 is single action.

Good post Aqua. I'm picking up what you are putting down, I'm just elaborating on the subject.
    Slippy likes this.

The Good Cop

Trayvon Martin being on top of Zimmerman and pounding his head into the pavement before he could even DRAW should point out the obvious to those who carry an autoloader with an empty chamber.
    My main carry is a snub nosed, DAO(aka "hammerless") 44 Special revolver in my front pocket. No hammer spur to snag, nothing to chamber, no safety to fiddle with. Revolvers - The Original Point And Click Interface.
    My alternate carry is a J-frame size 357 magnum snubbie. Loaded with the ultimate fight stopper (for a handgun, anyway), Remington 125 grain full house JSP's.
    bigdogbuc, SecTec21 and dsdmmat like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links