I need something for conceal carry. - Page 6
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

I need something for conceal carry.

This is a discussion on I need something for conceal carry. within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by Historyjunkie If you're going to carry in your purse, I would advise carrying a larger pistol. It will be much easier to ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: I need something for conceal carry.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Historyjunkie View Post
    If you're going to carry in your purse, I would advise carrying a larger pistol. It will be much easier to shoot than a subcompact 9 or 380.

The smaller 9mm or 380 guns make sense for on body carry. I have a Ruger LCP which I carry as the only thing that doesn't take my basketball shorts to the ground while pocket carrying.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I am told the bag I have will carry a big ol' gun. Edite to add: cross body, slash-proof shoulder strap. fits me like a glove and I can wear it with anything.
    Last edited by Annie; 07-26-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    bigwheel likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NotTooProudToHide View Post
    Congratulations on your decision to join the ranks of citizens participating in lawful concealed carry of firearms.

Now discussing what gun you should get... First how do you plan to carry your gun? Are you going to carry in your purse, in your front pocket, outside the waist band, inside the waist band, on your ankle, in a shoulder rig, in a belly band? Depending on how you plan to carry weight and size may be restrictive. Secondly how is your dexterity when it comes to manipulating a gun and how much recoil can you handle?

Back in 2012 I got my CC permit and ended up asking questions here as well of some police officer and my local gun shop. I was really clueless when it came to handguns, I had grown up with rifles and shotguns but our household was pretty anti handgun. After taking in quiet a bit of advice I decided I was going to pocket carry and ended up going with a Ruger LCP .380 after talking to somebody at the local gun shop. Its the original version, not the 2.0 which I understand has some improvements. It doesn't have the best sights in the world and its a pretty snappy little handgun especially for a .380, but its extremely small which allows me to pocket carry, it has a cartridge big enough to bring the pain if needed to baddies, and most importantly I carry it every day every time I leave the house.

I can't shoot my LCP as accurately at a distance as I can my other pistols but its enough for what it is, a get out of my face pistol. I don't plan on offensively engaging threats should I encounter them, my philosophy is my gun is for if somebody gets between myself, my family/friends, and the nearest exit or point of regress.

Given whats happened in the last couple of years with the rise of ISIS and the attacks they perpetrated along with the fact that I wanted a "full sized" 9mm I went out last year and purchased a Smith and Wesson SDVE 9mm which is roughly the same size and capacity of a Glock 19. After purchasing the gun I got an IWB from @dwight55 which really pleased me and I recommend. Best part is the SDVE actually can share holsters with my full sized M&P .40 which I had gotten earlier as a home defense pistol. The trigger on the SDVE was pretty terrible, I could shoot it to an extent but I opted to do do a full upgrade with the aftermarket spring kit and trigger kit from Apex Tactical. Now my SDVE is a very sweet shooter that I can shoot as accurately as I can its big brother M&P .40. I also purchased a reinforced belt that was designed for a concealed carry holder who carry's on their belt.

I'm pretty self conscious when I carry, I don't want anybody to know that I'm carrying and I guess you could call me a bit paranoid. The rig I used with the SDVE is a bit more noticeable which is understandable because its a much bigger gun. I have noticed that I tend to not go that route during the summer months but during the winter I've gotten more comfortable with it. I've got to admit though that around 90% of the time I carry the LCP. Its just easier to slip it in my pocket and go rather than take the time to put my holster on and make sure that I'm not printing. Our threat level here is pretty low, we don't have a lot of crime especially when you get out of the "bad" parts of town and when you don't do drugs. There really isn't a big threat from terrorists either, there just isn't a reason that would make my town an attractive target.

Well thats my novel for the day, bottom line is get something that your comfortable carrying, something your confident will protect you, and something you can both manipulate and shoot accurately.
    :notworthy: Thanks!!!! You prolly don't know, I'm sure but I look up to you a little like you're a gun-big sister here on the forum.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    I would strongly advise against carrying in a purse.
    They are targets for theft, and most women have a bad habit of leaving them unattended, even for just a moment.
    Also, the difficulty of drawing a firearm from a bag is considerable when under stress.

If possible, always carry on-body.
    Thanks, and I can see how that would work if all I wore wear pants. But women's close are too complicated. One day I am in a dress, the next, a skirt, the next yoga pants. I am only a beginner. I need to keep concealed carry simple. Annie Oakley may be my avatar, but I only wish I could shoot like her. I am not that good--yet!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Thanks, and I can see how that would work if all I wore wear pants. But women's close are too complicated. One day I am in a dress, the next, a skirt, the next yoga pants. I am only a beginner. I need to keep concealed carry simple. Annie Oakley may be my avatar, but I only wish I could shoot like her. I am not that good--yet!
    I recommend you find women on Youtube who discuss this topic.
    They have come to face the truth, and luckily before they had to face reality.
    Carrying off-body, regardless of the reason, is unsafe.

There are numerous options for carrying on-body, even in a skirt or yoga pants.
    Lean on the knowledge of experienced women, and learn from them.

Being a beginner makes off-body carry even more dangerous, as you haven't trained to deal with the stresses involved in a defensive gun use scenario, or drawing from concealment of any kind.

Some women think that carrying a firearm means they have to start dressing like a man. That couldn't be farther from the truth.
    In fact, I dare say you have FAR more options than men do. Do a little looking, and you'll see what I mean.

Please, oh please, do not carry in a purse. One moment of absentmindedness, and you could end up losing your wallet, keys... and arming the person who stole them.
    Knotacare likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Super Moderator

I recommend you find women on Youtube who discuss this topic.
    They have come to face the truth, and luckily before they had to face reality.
    Carrying off-body, regardless of the reason, is unsafe.

There are numerous options for carrying on-body, even in a skirt or yoga pants.
    Lean on the knowledge of experienced women, and learn from them.

Being a beginner makes off-body carry even more dangerous, as you haven't trained to deal with the stresses involved in a defensive gun use scenario, or drawing from concealment of any kind.

Some women think that carrying a firearm means they have to start dressing like a man. That couldn't be farther from the truth.
    In fact, I dare say you have FAR more options than men do. Do a little looking, and you'll see what I mean.

Please, oh please, do not carry in a purse. One moment of absentmindedness, and you could end up losing your wallet, keys... and arming the person who stole them.
    Thanks, Kauboy. I will take it under advisement, but I'm unconvinced because a cross body bag with a slash proof strap is gonna be pretty hard to steal.

Thanks, Kauboy. I will take it under advisement, but I'm unconvinced because a cross body bag with a slash proof strap is gonna be pretty hard to steal.
    The stolen factor is only half of the potential danger. And whether it is hard to steal or not only applies when the bag is physically attached to you.

The other is a complete lack of speed and safety drawing from a bag.

Here's one of the many videos that convinced me that bag carry is dangerous:
    (Part 1)

(Part 2)

If she can make on-body carry work, in various lady's attire, anybody can.
    Check out her videos titled "Kim's Corner" for a woman's perspective on carry options and gear.
    Last edited by Kauboy; 07-27-2017 at 10:54 AM.
    turbo6 likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Super Moderator

The stolen factor is only half of the potential danger. And whether it is hard to steal or not only applies when the bag is physically attached to you.

The other is a complete lack of speed and safety drawing from a bag.

Here's one of the many videos that convinced me that bag carry is dangerous:

If she can make on-body carry work, in various lady's attire, anybody can.
    Check out her videos titled "Kim's Corner" for a woman's perspective on carry options and gear.
    Thanks, will check 'em out when I get the chance.

:notworthy: Thanks!!!! You prolly don't know, I'm sure but I look up to you a little like you're a gun-big sister here on the forum.
    Ive been called a lot of things but never a big sister lol. I'll take it!
    Annie and bigwheel like this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
    I wonder if that was maybe not a Glock, but another brand. The only Glock .380 is the G42 which is quite large for a .380 and has a very solid reputation. I have one and it's quite nice to shoot and has never malfunctioned. As far as I'm aware, the Glock 42, the Ruger LCP/LCP Custom/LCP II, The Bersa Thunder, SIG 238, and the Taurus TCP all have solid reputations. The S&W Bodyguard and the Walther PK380 have had some sketchy reliability. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of the .380 guns.
    Good advice. I swear he told me it was a Glock and even let me hold it one time. I will double check and report back shortly.

PS Edit: He says it was a Glock 42 but he now says he did not hate thee gun as he alleged at the time but wanted a 9mm so ehe sold it bo buy a 43. Wished folks would stick to the original story. Bet it was a plot to convince his wife he needed a new gun. Ok now he the says the problem gunn it wasnt a Glock. It was a Bryco. The Glocks did ok. Sorry aobut that. Too many guns for me to accurately gossip about.
    Last edited by bigwheel; 07-27-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links