Budget pistols the what is the mosin of the handgun world? - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Budget pistols the what is the mosin of the handgun world?

This is a discussion on Budget pistols the what is the mosin of the handgun world? within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; The only circumstance where an AR is better than a bolt action is when you are under attack, at close range, from a large group. ...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Budget pistols the what is the mosin of the handgun world?

The only circumstance where an AR is better than a bolt action is when you are under attack, at close range, from a large group. If even a large group is more than 25 yards away the bolt and AR ore pretty much on equal ground. The only "advantage" that the AR has is its rapid fire capability. Once you fire the first shot the attackers are going to find cover and fight from that cover if they think you have something worth the risk of engagement. My 30-06 will penetrate up to an inch of mild steel - more than twice the penetration of a 223 without using armor piercing bullets. My 30-06 is able to penetrate more body armor than your 223. Finally My 30-06 or even my 358 is demonstrably more accurate than your AR, especially at longer ranges.

For close quarter fighting my 12 ga. pump with an eight round capacity will be at least as effective as your AR. The AR platform is an excellent military weapon but in 99% of the circumstances that you will confront in an actual SHTF world will show no advantage to an AR over other weapons.

Meangreen and BigCheeseStick like this.

This has to be the closest, but I would advise wearing hearing protection.
    Budget pistols the what is the mosin of the handgun world?-45630d1322784342-gun-tests-slams-mosin-nagant-comparison-test-obrez.jpg

Who wants to listen to this guy for eight minutes. He could say in15 sec what he said in 2 min.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Realistically, a pistol is carried a lot, and used almost never.

But when you do need it, it had better work right. Most cheap pistols simply will not be reliable enough to bet your life on. And I say this as a former professional gunsmith, who has tuned hundreds of pistols to make them more reliable.

Over the years I have personally owned well over 100 handguns, including full house custom built IPSC competiton pistols which cost THOUSANDS of dollars. At this time I own only two pistols, one is a Norinco Combat Commander that I paid $ 360 for NEW in the box, and spent a bunch of money on setting it up as another IPSC Game gun. Totally reliable, 8 rounds goes into one hole at 10 yds off hand, and it looks GREAT!! This is the pistol I would choose to play games with, to fondle and drool over, and when I show it around at the range to demonstrate what a GOOD Govt model pistol should feel like, people go OOhh and Ahh!

My other pistol is a well cared for GLOCK 23 that was a Police trade in, and I bought it CHEAP when my local police supply store got out of used fire arms. This pistol is almost totally stock, except for a metal recoil spring guide rod. It is not as accurate as the Commander, and the trigger is still the stock Glock 5 lb "Spadoing" long travel. The matte black finish is worn from a holster, and the night sights may not be as crisp and bright as they once were, but this is the pistol I would reach for if I am doing CCW.

A police trade in pistol is almost always carried lots and shot little. In the case of my G23, it was issued for concealed carry by plain clothes detectives, so it showed some holster wear, but it was armorer maintained, and in perfect mechanical condition. This Glock 23, with two magazines, is all I need for CCW, and any realistic scenarios that I might use a pistol for. I also bought my self a 9 mm conversion barrel, and two more 9 MM magazines for the G23, so if I ever run out of .40 S&W ammo, I can switch to the much cheaper and more readily available 9 mm. And since a SWAT cop buddy of mine gave me 3000 rds of 9MM Ball ammo, I now do most of my practice with the G23 set up in 9mm.

Cheap pistol, free ammo ... it just don't get much better than that.
    [;{)

PS: as a former Infantry Officer, I have been trained to think of a pistol as a poor substitute for any other long arm.
    To me, even after over a decade of competing in IPSC games, a Pistol is still
    "what you use to fight your way to a rifle",
    AND,
    the gun you have on you "When you are NOT expecting trouble".

For these types of REAL WORLD scenarios, I prefer that CHEAP used Glock 23 over any other pistol I have ever owned ...
    including some very expensive Full House IPSC Match guns.
    YPMMV,
    but my cheap Glock police trade in pistol works for me.
    [;{)
    LAZ 1
    Last edited by Lazerus2000; 08-10-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    Meangreen and Grinch like this.

As long as you can trust your life to it you should continue to use it.

I feel the same way about my Ruger Security-Six.

Meangreen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    As long as you can trust your life to it you should continue to use it.

I feel the same way about my Ruger Security-Six.
    A tradition in my organization is to purchase the pistol for a retiring agent at their request that they carried in duty, that they trusted their life to. The overwhelming request, the Ruger Security-six.
    PaulS likes this.

My preference would be, when consider the original question is a budget 1911. We had great success with the Rock Island 1911s. The have a great reputation among the LEOs around here also. My wife carries an "officers" in .45, accurate and fun.jmho
    As far as the bolt versus auto rifle argument they each have their place. I have an auto rifle (Mini 14) and bolt gun (Ruger American .308) and a lever gun(Rossi '92 in .357), I figure I have several bases covered.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".-Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by thomasdangerpowers View Post
    I think it would probly be the Hi Point
    This is nothing more than rambling non-sense even if there is a point in there.

If you cannot afford an expensive gun buy a cheaper gun.

There it did not take me five minutes to write that and it did not take five seconds for you to read that.
    BigCheeseStick likes this.

At the end of the day, a guy with a $100 gun is still probably going to be the one alive when a guy with a $100 knife comes at him.
    1895gunner likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCheeseStick View Post
    At the end of the day, a guy with a $100 gun is still probably going to be the one alive when a guy with a $100 knife comes at him.
    What about when the guy with the $500 knife comes after him?

I have two hi-points. a .45 and a 9mm. I've got a couple hundred rounds through the .45 and the only hiccups its ever had were when my little brother would limp wrist it - everyone else shoots it perfectly reliably. The 9mm cannot get through a single magazine without a failure, I'd guess the failure rate is 1/4 rounds. I've played with it and the magazines, still it's horrible. Maybe it's gun by gun, but the 9mm is SO bad that I don't even know what to do with it anymore...

If you can't afford a decent gun and I suggest glocks (ok, or M&P) then save more, or just buy more food.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links