FN Five-seveN
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

FN Five-seveN

This is a discussion on FN Five-seveN within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Found a FN Five Seven and bought it, $1,299 plus tax . . . no ammo. First impression: Comes in a nice fitted plastic case ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: FN Five-seveN

roy

FN Five-seveN

Found a FN Five Seven and bought it, $1,299 plus tax . . . no ammo.

First impression:

Comes in a nice fitted plastic case with three mags, owners manual and cable lock, one fired case. Owners manual is very Glockish.

It looks very much like a pellet gun I bought at Walmart. The slide is plastic on the outside with metal barrel and liner. Adjustable sights, ambidextrious safety and mag release than can be changed to left. Overall, slightly longer (1/2") than standard sized Glock grip length the same. Has assessory rail. Weighs sligtly less than Glock 22 672g vs 724g unloaded with magazine. Safety is where you can't reach it with your thumb, only trigger finger. Sights are very tall and rear sight looks a little fragile. Slide releason only right handed. Take down is very Glockish.

Did you look at the 22TCM by Rock Island? Half the cost, better performance. Sorry to late.

Have you shot it yet? I hear they're designed to have very low felt recoil. Which seems to be one of FN's priority in many of their guns. Plus it's nice having a 20 round mag instead of a ~10 round mag that you'd be using with a 1911 or Glock 45. That said, sidearms are sidearms. In SHTF, a sidearm is just what you use to get back to your rifle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I did a test on some commercially available ammo. I shot 2 rnd on each the protector and penetrator came from Elite Ammunition.
    5.7x28 compareson
    FiveSeveN pistol
    ss195lf 28gr 1972fps and 1951fps around 233 ft/lbs
    ss192 28gr 2041fps and 2071fps around 253 ft/lbs
    protector 40gr 2010fps and 1996fps around 358 ft/lbs
    penetrator 55gr 1600fps and 1574fps around 307 ft/lbs

PS90
    ss195lf 28gr 2389fps and 2332fps around 334 ft/lbs
    ss192 28gr 2472fps and 2495fps around 369 ft/lbs
    protector 40gr 2537fps and 2544fps around 573 ft/lbs
    penetrator 55gr 2017 fps and 2002fps around 493 ft/lbs

The FiveSeveN and PS90 has hardly any kick and you can keep it on target very easy the pistol holds 20 rnds with an available 10 rnd extension the PS90 holds 50 rnds.

Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 10-17-2013 at 04:41 PM.

I shot a couple magazines through one and wasnt impressed . As far as a SHTF gun, I cant think of a worse choice. Where would you ever get ammo? And at what price?

roy

I haven't shot it yet and, yes, ammo can be a problem both in availability and price. A local gun shop doesn't bend you over much and sells it at normal retail around $40/box of 50 for FN stuff. I bought it mostly for a toy and out of curiousity.

It got me curious when the 22TCM was mentioned. Leave it to yankee ingeniuty. Energy is mass x velocity squared. Using 9 mm as a standard, 115g bullet @ about 1,000 fps, to get the same energy at 1,500 fps you need 51g bullet and at 2,000fps a 29g bullet. It seems that .17 is a little too small because of barrel fouling. I wonder how long 'til someone else develops a round that will feed through a 1911 single stack mag. Maybe a .308 necked down to .22. What can FN do that Colt can't do better.

Quote Originally Posted by roy View Post
    I haven't shot it yet and, yes, ammo can be a problem both in availability and price. A local gun shop doesn't bend you over much and sells it at normal retail around $40/box of 50 for FN stuff. I bought it mostly for a toy and out of curiousity.

It got me curious when the 22TCM was mentioned. Leave it to yankee ingeniuty. Energy is mass x velocity squared. Using 9 mm as a standard, 115g bullet @ about 1,000 fps, to get the same energy at 1,500 fps you need 51g bullet and at 2,000fps a 29g bullet. It seems that .17 is a little too small because of barrel fouling. I wonder how long 'til someone else develops a round that will feed through a 1911 single stack mag. Maybe a .308 necked down to .22. What can FN do that Colt can't do better.
    The 22TCM. you're using a 1911 firearm that weighs 38 ounces UNLOADED, to the 5.7s 26 ounces FULLY LOADED. It's nice you can order a 9mm barrel to go with it, but I see no advantage of the .22 TCM over the FiveseveN a 40gr bullet from a Fiveseven matches the velocity of a 40gr bullet from 22tcm from a shorter barrel. You are also limited to a 40gr or larger bullet because of the magazine width. FiveseveN has some high velocity 28gr bullets.

Quote: "What can FN do that Colt can't do better". FN supplies 75% of the US military small arms. I don't see Colt doing much design and research seems to be more of just a mfg company. Where as FN has put many new items on the market in recent years. FiveSeven, PS90, FS2000, Scar-16, Scar-17. They have a complete line in rifles, pistols, shotguns, machine guns. They only make higher end guns mostly designed for military or police use around the world.
    Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 10-18-2013 at 12:35 PM.

I like the 5.7 very much.. Is it the best shtf weapon. Probably not. But 20 rounds and you can hit a milk jug at 100yds all day long is pretty nice. You will have haters talkin about it but I am a fan of them.. They are lots of fun to play with.. Another one I like is the 4.6x30. I had a chance to use a MP7 in 4.6 and it was a joy to shoot!! If I could pick two outside the norm" rounds. the 5.7 and 4.6 would be the ones I add to my collection..
    Check out my blog Hidden Content Also SurvivingTheBreaks on Facebook.. My radio show will be goin live next week on Hidden Content so be sure to listen out.

The best reason to get a fiveseveN is the PS90
    Verteidiger likes this.

I have several 22's in pistol and rifle - that I can find ammo for - what would make me want to buy one I can't get ammo to shoot?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links