Recommend a .22 handgun for me - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Recommend a .22 handgun for me

This is a discussion on Recommend a .22 handgun for me within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I have the M&P 22 Compact. It chews up and spits out everything I have ever fed it. Highly recommend it if you are looking ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Recommend a .22 handgun for me

I have the M&P 22 Compact. It chews up and spits out everything I have ever fed it. Highly recommend it if you are looking for a modern semi-auto. Also serves as a trainer for the slightly larger M&P 9 or 40 (it is a 15% scaled down version).
    I'm a creep. I'm a weirdo. What the hell am I doing here. I don't belong here.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    .22 of all kinds are not something that is easy to find used in MN. Folks hold onto them like gold, as they should.
    MKII's are not easy to find in ID, occasionally one turns up but not that often and finding one in like new condition is rare. Other types and makes are fairly common and relatively easy to find here.

At one time it was popular to mate a 22/45 polymer lower to a Pac-Lite aluminum upper for an ultra lightweight 22 pistol, back packers seemed to like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Ruger MrkII or III, threaded barrel if you can find it.
    Are they really hard to find?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I find that the cci mini mags or the blazers are the most reliable in .22lr hand guns! I picked up several thousand rounds over the years when cci were readily available! They sell out quick!

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    Recommend a .22 handgun for me
    Any time some one says "Recommend a gun for me," or "What gun should I buy next," or "What is the best 9mm pistol" it is a lot like letting some one else pick out your undies. Ultimately the internet usually recommends the last thing they bought as a kind of self reassurance and actualization.

The only person that can recommend a gun for you is YOU and YOU are the only one that YOU should be taking recommendations from.

So here instead is my advice for how you should recommend your next gun - any gun.

Talk to yourself first. Know why you want the gun in the first place. List out the things you think you will use it for and other important features - some people LOVE having a safety switch, some hate them. This is important to know. To thyne own self be true....

Read up on the top 10 of what ever category you are looking for. If you have narrowed it down to a specific caliber, even better. Look for matches between the features you are looking for and what the guns have.

Go to the range and SHOOT them. Rent them there or borrow from a friend or bring the friend. My wife was dead set on the Ruger LCP - Then she shot it.

Here are some links to get you started:
    Best .22 Pistol - Best Handgun For Plinking | TopGunReview

10 Best Rimfire Guns Right Now - Guns & Ammo

Personally I own a High Standard Sport King M and I love it. But they don't make'em any more and when you find one they can be pricey. Seriously, they are like fine whiskey and cigars. If I was rich, collecting High Standards would be a weakness for me; fortunately my economic standing has saved me from that gluttonous hobby. If you get the chance to shoot or own one you should - but not as a survival pistol, as a work of art. So I would NOT recommend that perfectly awesomely wonderful pistol and I don't need to to make myself feel better about owning it. That is all the help I can give you - sorry.
    jro1, shooter, Maol9 and 1 others like this.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    ...you do not have to be an acrobat with 7 thumbs to change magazines in a Buckmark, . . . Ruger??? Let's just say that it is not any where as easy or quick.
    Can you elaborate on this?
    Mine's literally a button mag release right behind the trigger guard, like every other auto I own.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

What GT said ^^
    GTGallop likes this.

I do not recommend a .22 LR for defense...I'm sure I don't have to go into that...there are so many other
    cartridges that do a better job.

That being said, the .22 LR S&W 41 is hard to beat. It is more accurate than most Rugers. And only
    accurate guns are worth talking about.

Grim
    RedLion likes this.

RedLion likes this.
    oops

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reality View Post
    I do not recommend a .22 LR for defense...I'm sure I don't have to go into that...there are so many other
    cartridges that do a better job.

That being said, the .22 LR S&W 41 is hard to beat. It is more accurate than most Rugers. And only
    accurate guns are worth talking about.

Grim
    I have other handguns for self-defense, so looking for it to be as versatile as possible in function, small game, plinking and suppressor ready.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links