Handgun Self-Defense Ammunition Ballistics Test - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Handgun Self-Defense Ammunition Ballistics Test

This is a discussion on Handgun Self-Defense Ammunition Ballistics Test within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I use Hornaday's critical defense in my carry gun but if I run out I would use my own cast lead bullets and be very ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Handgun Self-Defense Ammunition Ballistics Test

I use Hornaday's critical defense in my carry gun but if I run out I would use my own cast lead bullets and be very confident with them..
    Hidden Content

Lord, make me fast and accurate, let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who seek to destroy me, grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine, let not my last thought be - 'If I only had my gun'- and Lord if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in a pile of warm brass,
    Amen

Fancy bullets are pretty and all, impressive stats too. But in the end they only expand about 10-15% more than plain ol' bullets at $1.30 per round vs. about $0.40.
    I do have some of them but, just stick with the major brands and hollow points and you'll be just fine.
    Remember that plain or fancy, the bullet can only do it's job if you do yours.
    Remember the real estate slogan, "Location, Location, Location"! (shot placement)
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    There ya go. Good shots can do that..if they dont get buck fever. Starting out with center of mass works most times.
    My training was simple keep shooting until threat has been stopped. Must work I am still here.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Dang. After reading a few of those posts I gotta really recommend some formal homework for y'all.

http://www.amazon.com/Handgun-Stoppi.../dp/0873646533

These studies are based on actual street shootings (unlike Fackler's work which tries to determine stopping power by shooting gelatin.) They also cover dozens of other ammo tests done by fed & state agencies. I think these guys have a 3rd book out now. Fascinating stuff, you'll read cover to cover and mark passages like it was yer bible. Really, there is some cool stuff in their books. Before I read them I too suffered from mistaken beliefs about my ammo.
    Logout likes this.

RR is right, and for those too cheap to buy the book Handgun Cartridge Power Chart - Condensed Version

This is a slightly older compilation of the data gathered by Sanow and Marshall

And with respect to the FBI tests they were looking at a specific failure of a Winchester Silver Tip that didn't cut the hydraulic lines on the Bad guy in the Maimi Shoot out back in 85
    Logout likes this.

You cannot kill David Soul with a single shot from a 9mm.* It's in his contract!

*Obscure reference to a made-for-TV reenactment of the legendary FBI-Miami shootout that spurred the FBI tests (that eventually determined that the 230gr hydrashok was the optimum duty cartridge against all barriers.)

think this was written by that cop in new hampshire

A look at the 1986 FBI Miami shootout 27 years later | Examiner.com

The round that eventually would have killed Platt but let him keep shooting for almost 5 minutes was fired by Jerry Dove and was a winchester silver tip If my memory is correct

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links