45 vs 9 musings without starting a 45 vs 9 feud - Page 7
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

45 vs 9 musings without starting a 45 vs 9 feud

This is a discussion on 45 vs 9 musings without starting a 45 vs 9 feud within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Love the 18mm theory Interesting to see so many folks carrying 357. If it wasn't that I like the slimness of a single stack and ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: 45 vs 9 musings without starting a 45 vs 9 feud

Love the 18mm theory

Interesting to see so many folks carrying 357. If it wasn't that I like the slimness of a single stack and the quick reloads from a mag that probably would have been my second choice.

As I said, I am thinking btw about betraying my 45ACP.... Got a sig 365XL that I'll be picking up next week... I'll see how I like it. The trigger felt good on dry fire, but I'll have to see how I like it at the range.

What strikes me though as I already mentioned someplace above is the fact how many folks state: but it's quiet here after stating their carry choice. This almost means to me that they wish they had something with either a higher caliber or more rounds and they're using the 'peace' to justify what they got.

Ok, pulling my stick out of the anthill before I run

Quote Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
    There is 15 feet between me and my front door, to get to my front door currently requires clambering up a unusual rig which shakes which says they are on the first deck, then if it shakes more they clambered up the second deck, got wife on the floor by then to avoid being hit and I'm pointing from my bed squeezing a shots off with my shotgun.
    000 buck is like being shot with multiple 9 mm bullets
    Attachment 109547
    Technically about 8mm, but close enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevekozak View Post
    Technically about 8mm, but close enough!!
    Name:  Pellet sizes.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  32.6 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
    Name:  Pellet sizes.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  32.6 KB
    My bad. You had said 000 buck. I was reading 00 buck. Right you are. I have never actually used 000 buck, and cannot remember the last time I actually saw any.
    Weldman and rice paddy daddy like this.

My bad. You had said 000 buck. I was reading 00 buck. Right you are. I have never actually used 000 buck, and cannot remember the last time I actually saw any.
    I use it when out turkey hunting in case a buck shows up since I already use it for home defense.
    stevekozak likes this.

The Good Cop

Simply look in the butt cuff of my Ithaca M37 Police Special. OOO buck, right there. One box worth - 5 rounds.
    (I'm not one of those guys who subscribe to the "birdshot for personal defense" theory)
    stevekozak and SOCOM42 like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I've lived outdoors, never had much use for pistols.

Got an 45 ACP and disgusted me with accuracy, but I'm used to rifles. The pistol < 25 yds

Got a M29 and it took a while to get used to , but then I could hit liter bottles at 75 yds, flip woodchucks the same. I got into hunting with that . Not a rapid fire multiple target weapon, but I can hit stuff.

So one big hole, or a few misses and hits?

Quote Originally Posted by Wedrownik View Post
    So I am a die hard 45ACP shooter. For probably the past 20 years I have been preferring 45ACP over any other caliber. Ok, I'd drop 45 for 10mm in a heartbeat but they don't make 10mm in all the variations I have 45 in.

Anyways, my current carry piece is SA XDS 4" in 45. Yes, i know... Why not a 1911... Well, my duty gun is an XD so while I have 1911s around the house, I am trying to stay consistent with my duty and carry gun so that I operate under stress the same way.

So back on topic... Buddy of mine stopped by and he had Sig 365... Wow... The trigger on it is smooooooth... Smooth to the point that boss lady asked me: why haven't you bought one yet [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif[/IMG]. Ok she didn't say that.... She just didn't oppose when I said I wanna go buy one. Now it's in 10 day jail and I can't wait to pick it up, but it got me to thinking again:
    45 vs 9..... 9 is great, great capacity, feels great to shoot. But I have also seen cases where it took multiple 9mm rounds to take down the attacker as there wasn't enough oomph... But that's not an issue cause I have extra rounds.. right? But then again why do I want to carry extra rounds just to deal with lack of oomph vs carrying more oomph at a smaller capacity?

The world seems to be going to 9... Even my dept that was for years diehard 40 department, is going to 9s... Which makes me wonder - are we going to 9 for the sake reason FBI went from 10 to 40?

So how much of a difference in a similarly sized platform? For a flush mounted mag in the xds it's 2 rounds. Is it enough to be concerned ? Granted 2 rounds are TWO rounds but if I have to drop an extra round on each assaiIlant then I will be actually short rounds in a long run.

I do understand that not everyone can handle a 45... It does have more oomph to it then a 9 does and for some people it would require a lot of practice to be used to it and to be proficient with it. Nothing wrong with that.... 9 is also a good round.... But I don't see any advantage in switching to it....
    Its clear to me that you should buy a couple pistols in 10mm, and not worry about compromise.
    They hold more rounds than 45, and they hit a lot harder that 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
    Its clear to me that you should buy a couple pistols in 10mm, and not worry about compromise.
    I personally have nothing against the 10MM, but it has been a dead horse around here for 20+ years.

None of the dealers carry ammo for them or guns either for that manner, if one comes in used, it goes on G-broker, won't sell locally.

Now in today's market with the shortages, can you even find any for sale that you can get???

I have had dealers call me for ammo none have asked for the 10MM, plenty of request for 45, 9MM para, 38 spcl., 357, 380 but no 10MM.

This is not a time to be changing or adding a caliber.

Joe Bitme claims he is shutting down all online sales of guns, ammo, parts, mags to stop evil people from building guns from parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
    You're right - in my mind that's the round to go with except for the limited handgun support at the moment (though it seems to be improving year by year)

Now only if 10mm ammo production/ availability was better. I fear that in SHTF scenario calibers like 380 and 10mm will go by the way of the dodo and availability for the rest will be going from 9mm being most abundant to 45ACP on the lower end. Why? Military and law enforcement use 9mm so knowing realities of life there will be boxes falling from the trucks. Same for 40. 45 while not as widely issued, is still used by Government agencies which might be good for me as there won't be as many people looking for it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links