Why the sudden love for 9 mm? - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Why the sudden love for 9 mm?

This is a discussion on Why the sudden love for 9 mm? within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack This poor thing was beyond bruised. I'm sure it was pretty much hamburger all the way through. Not only ...

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree334Likes

Thread: Why the sudden love for 9 mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    This poor thing was beyond bruised. I'm sure it was pretty much hamburger all the way through.

Not only did I hit it but an SUV going the other direction ran over it. It ran out of the ditch, I started to lock the brakes up, hit it, and it's momentum carried it into the other lane and got run over. It didn't get damaged, so the driver just left. But I ended up with grill, fender, bumper, hood, oil cooler and radiator all damaged. Radiator and oil cooler are bent but not leaking, so I was able to drive it home, then to the shop.
    I like the old copper radiators you can fix with a propane torch and solder, new plastic/aluminum ones suck.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    @prep ared That makes total sense and you are exactly right! I think I might trade it in for a 9 mm. I regret selling my 1 at gen Glock 17 years ago
    I don't know that I would trade it off as much as I would just add 9MM to the stable. 40 is a good round and quite capable. I carry nine because I Live in Texas and it gets damned hot. It was 102 and 80% humidity yesterday when I got home form work. You could drink the air. I carry a S&W Shield 8+1 personnel protection rounds most days plus spare mags. Easily concealed, light, cool, and a pretty good round count. If I cant get it done in 9 rounds I am in the wrong fight.

I am comfortable with the 9 in most situations, if I fulfill my end it will get the job done. I have gone as light as a 38 but if I feel the need for power I carry one of the 45's. Any number of my 1911's, S&W's or my new PPQ45 will fit the bill. Point is, in determining my storage, I went with the most common calibers for the reasons already stated. I looked at cost, availability, and capability.

Keep in mind all handguns are under powered as RPD Mentioned. Hand guns are defensive in nature, if you do your job they are effective but if you want a dead bang pick up a rifle. I am not charging up the hill with just my 45. That said, at 60, I am not charging up any damn hill.

Well.................unless there is a 21 year old blond bimbo with daddy issues and a 12 pack of beer up there.
    Last edited by Prepared One; 08-01-2020 at 09:55 AM.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

My wife prefers the 9mm, my .45 is a little too much for her.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

If I know I'm going to get in a gun fight, I want a 30-06.
    One hit center mass the guy is going down. Might not be dead, and if he's full of meth might get a few more shots off, but he'll be on the ground.

Unlike ANY handgun caliber, except maybe those big S&W 500's.
    Prepared One, Slippy, KUSA and 4 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    One hit center mass the guy is going down. Might not be dead, and if he's full of meth might get a few more shots off, but he'll be on the ground.

I have 30-06 as part of my storage for just that reason. It will kill anything in North America. It's a fight stopper.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

@prep aredone..... I am not charging up the hill with just my 45. That said, at 60, I am not charging up any damn hill.

Well.................unless there is a 21 year old blond bimbo with daddy issues and a 12 pack of beer up there. That was the funniest $hit I've read all week lmao
    Prepared One and BamaDOC like this.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    I have 30-06 as part of my storage for just that reason. It will kill anything in North America. It's a fight stopper.
    For me in 30-06, it is: for battle, M1 Garand; for precision, a Springfield 1903A3; because I wanted it a Remington 7400; and from my Po Boy days when I had little money, a scoped single shot Rossi.

The last two caliber weapons I would ever part with would be a 30-06 and 45 ACP. Those got our infantrymen thru WWI, WWII, Korea, and some smaller engagements along the way. I do not argue with success.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Today when you look at high velocity rounds, ie 556/223 running 3000 ft/sec, you can see the damage these 22 calibers do.
    Now, the same theory is being run with pistols. 5.7x28, Tokarev, 357SIG. These run pretty fast. Hard t stop velocity.
    Now go look at Liberty Civil Defense ammo... Some of them run over 2000 ft/sec out of a pistol. The videos of these is remarkable.
    Denton likes this.
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post

I have 6 M1's in 30/06 (2 are M1-D's) and 2 1903A3's, an 1903A4 with an alaskan scope on it, plus a custom built (me) using a 1903A3 action.

To go with them is 4,000 rounds of 30AP M2, plus a ton of M-2 ball from the 70's.

Prefer the 1911 in 45 ACP, and my 44 mag for close in.

Picture of my 41 and 44 mag's

Why the sudden love for 9 mm?-spam-45-s-007.jpg

My custom built sniper in 30/06 AKA US CAL. 30.

Why the sudden love for 9 mm?-odd-disc-004.jpg
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 08-01-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    Denton, BamaDOC, inceptor and 3 others like this.

I like my 30.06's, heck were raised on them. But the world does move on . If things go total upside down They will never make in range of anything they are using.
    SOCOM42 likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links