Why the sudden love for 9 mm? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Why the sudden love for 9 mm?

This is a discussion on Why the sudden love for 9 mm? within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by Redneck There is not a whole lot I'm certain about nowadays, but I am certain about one thing. Accuracy is more important ...

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree334Likes

Thread: Why the sudden love for 9 mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    There is not a whole lot I'm certain about nowadays, but I am certain about one thing. Accuracy is more important than caliber. IMO, any caliber mentioned so far, with the proper ammo, is plenty good at stopping people. But to stop people, no matter the caliber, you need to hit what you are aiming at. So my advise always is to find the gun & caliber that feels best for you... and shoot the shit out of it.

I have personally had law enforcement come shoot with us & bring their huge, magnum whatever. One guy couldn't even hit the target he flinched so bad. Guess he figured having a big, bad gun was all it took. Me, I don't flinch shooting 9mm and to me, that is all that matters. I have friends who feel the same about their .45.

Glock might be a fine gun, but I'm a 9mm Sig man. My German made P226 hits where I point and the expensive, modern 9mm ammo today has all the stopping power I want.
    Amen.

[QUOTE=RubberDuck;2028043]I always refer people to watch this video.
    Was neighbor dispute guy on mower pulls gun other guy pulls shield 9mm puts 4 rounds center mass in guy on mower.
    Guy on mower gets up walks to house calls 911 lives. NO THANK YOU.... yes better than a stick but I'll stick to 45.

[/QUOT
    Uh, how certain are you about the COM? Getting hit three times 4 times in the chest, and getting hit 4 times COM are two very different things. I very much suspect there was no COM. The dude shooting at him clearly emptied his gun at him, and only managed to hit him 4 times. I suspect none of those 4 times was very close to vital organs. Firefighter.....

The Good Cop

in a real gun fight, your adrenaline will be higher than you have ever before experienced in your life.
    Your opponent will be moving, and shooting.
    You should be moving, and shooting.

All this "shot placement" jive is just that. Pure luck.
    Three or four cops can fire 40 rounds and only hit the bad guy a few times.

And it's not like the movies - guy gets hit and falls down.
    No, guy gets hit, multiple times even, and keeps shooting at you.
    Handguns are inherently weakly powered.
    That's why the infantry uses rifles.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    in a real gun fight, your adrenaline will be higher than you have ever before experienced in your life.
    Your opponent will be moving, and shooting.
    You should be moving, and shooting.

All this "shot placement" jive is just that. Pure luck.
    Three or four cops can fire 40 rounds and only hit the bad guy a few times.

And it's not like the movies - guy gets hit and falls down.
    No, guy gets hit, multiple times even, and keeps shooting at you.
    Handguns are inherently weakly powered.
    That's why the infantry uses rifles.
    I agree with most of what you say here. Shot placement is not, in most cases, pure luck. Hence the placement part of it. If it were pure luck, we would call it shot landings....
    Redneck likes this.

You guys continue to argue 9 v 380 v 40 v 45 v 10. I'll continue to drive around in my M1A1 and not worry much about piddly stuff like that.
    Slippy, Michael_Js and stevekozak like this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Yep the 40 was going to be the dead of the 9mm. Everyone was switching. Then the hype dropped off. LE went back to 9mm. As did many others. Both will do the job
    stevekozak likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
    I always refer people to watch this video.
    Was neighbor dispute guy on mower pulls gun other guy pulls shield 9mm puts 4 rounds center mass in guy on mower.
    Guy on mower gets up walks to house calls 911 lives. NO THANK YOU.... yes better than a stick but I'll stick to 45.

16 rounds fired at that range and only managed 4 hits? Pretty urine poor shooting Tex.
    Slippy likes this.

Everyone has an opinion on caliber. If you like 40 and are well stocked, it will do the job. I personally went with 9, 35 and 358 magnum due to effectiveness, commonality in that it would be easier to resupply and stock pile. 357 is revolvers only so 9 and 45 are effective but not hot rounds. You can get hot rounds in those calibers but with normal pressure ammo the pistols hold up better long term or so I have read.
    65mustang likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

There is some hot 40S&W out there. I would recommend looking at 357SIG barrel. Mags are same, recoil spring is same.
    And 357SIG ammo is same or cheaper than 9mm right now and significantly better round in all ballistic tests.
    When 9mm goes p or +p etc, it ends up being right at 357SIG...
    Remember a true 357SIG round has ballistics close to a 357Magnum.. Not all companys load to it, but some do. CorBon, DoubleTap, Underwood, Liberty Civil Defense makes wicked fast heavy hitting lighter bullets.. Lots to choose from..
    But, in reality a 40 is not the same 40 it was in the 90s. Much better.
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

I have 2 40s, 2 9s and 2 45s. The 40s & 45s are easier to re-load, being larger cases. They cost about the same when you reload them. Never shot anybody, but anyone of those will do damage. Besides the handgun is only there until I can get to my rifle or shotgun, then the fun starts !
    Slippy and 65mustang like this.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links