Why the sudden love for 9 mm? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Why the sudden love for 9 mm?

This is a discussion on Why the sudden love for 9 mm? within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I always refer people to watch this video. Was neighbor dispute guy on mower pulls gun other guy pulls shield 9mm puts 4 rounds center ...

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree334Likes

Thread: Why the sudden love for 9 mm?

I always refer people to watch this video.
    Was neighbor dispute guy on mower pulls gun other guy pulls shield 9mm puts 4 rounds center mass in guy on mower.
    Guy on mower gets up walks to house calls 911 lives. NO THANK YOU.... yes better than a stick but I'll stick to 45.

I don't think politics have much to do with it so much as monkey see monkey do. Police depts are in lock step with the FBI and people are in lock step with what LEO as well as the military issue. The FBI went with the 9mm because it did a good enough job with modern loading's, had a larger carrying capacity, was easier for agents to qualify with, wasn't as hard on the guns (with standard loading's), and was cheaper. I've got both 9mm and .40 pistols (among others) and I don't plan on getting rid of either caliber. In fact I got a pretty good deal on some winchester bonded .40 over production that was originally intended for a government organization. Its stashed away in the ammo closet.
    RedLion likes this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    I do know that ammunition has come a long ways lately. It seems like everyone is in love with the Glock 19 on all these gun forms so I figured the nine mm must have come a long way
    In my opinion, the reason the 9 MM is so popular is because that is what the military uses. Why they went to the 9 from the 45 is a debate for another day.

Glocks are popular because a lot of police departments use, or have used, them. Why? Because Glock sold them below cost to corner the cop market. Their strategy seems to have payed off.

Myself - I am 71, been shooting since age 6, and I'm set in my ways. The only 9MM I own is a Walther P-38 that was West German Army, as part of my war horse collection.
    If someone gave me a Glock for free, I'd sell it, no matter what caliber it was.
    If I'm ever in another gunfight, I want a rifle. If I HAVE to use a handgun, my choices are .357 magnum, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt.

Put me down for being a blued steel (not this matte crap) and wood guy.
    I fully realize I am not in the mainstream here, but that's OK. I have never been interested in following trends.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have a Glock 27 that I used to carry as a back up. I went with 40 caliber because 10 years ago it was being said that 9 mm wasn't enough stopping power. Now I'm wondering if I should trade in my 27 for something in 9mm? I guess my question is what happened to make everyone hate the 40? Lol
    Josh,

I don't have the answer for you, or anyone else for that matter. I love the .45 acp, the .40SW, the .357 mag, the 9mm, hell I love them all and have been known to carry them all.

But I will tell you, the ease and consistency of putting the 9mm on target shot after shot after shot in a self defense situation is pretty dang good for me. Can I do it with the .45acp? YES. Can I do it with the .40SW? YES. The .357 magnum? YES...but maybe not as accurately and quickly as the 9mm.

Why the sudden love for 9 mm?-img_1585-002-.jpg

Why the sudden love for 9 mm?-img_1586-002-.jpg

These shots were made with the Springfield 1911 Range Officer Operator.

PS
    Check out the Glock 19X or Glock 17
    SOCOM42, Annie, inceptor and 5 others like this.

Reason I went to 10mm. Use my 9mm's for low recoil practice.
    Slippy likes this.
    The world will not be destroyed those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything. "Albert Einstein"

@bigwheel I carried a 40 as police officer and my dad carried a 357 as a state trooper in the 80s. The whole idea is to stop the threat and I wonder if you're right about the nine-millimeter just being more politically correct.
    The jibber jabber is the 9mms are now miracle rounds..but somebody gonna have to show me cause I got Okie kin who lives near Misery. The ballistics tables Ive glanced at say the .40 can put it and and .45 in the shade. It seems like the Buffalo Bores can put one up near 10mm .357 mag capabilities. All kinds of charts out there. The .40 was free and carried it at work for a long time and they let me keep it and give me the ammo to feed it. I loves my forty.
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm
    [email protected] likes this.

I myself carry a px4 storm .40. Love it its kick is less than an xd 9 mm. I'm a bigger guy so that might have a little to do with my comfort for it. But 9mm+ rounds do alot. I called an ffl when I was buying my lower for my AR and we got to talking and when I mentioned I had a .40 he was like ahhhhhh old man rounds. And guess what with the surge in gun and ammo sales I actually can find my bullets with not much if any lead time. I myself am looking to get a glock 19 but surely wont trade my 40 in for it

I have a Glock 27 that I used to carry as a back up. I went with 40 caliber because 10 years ago it was being said that 9 mm wasn't enough stopping power. Now I'm wondering if I should trade in my 27 for something in 9mm? I guess my question is what happened to make everyone hate the 40? Lol
    Keep the gun you have, all you need is a 9mm mag, barrel, and recoil spring to convert it. Then you basically have two guns in one depending on what ammo you can find.
    dsdmmat and AquaHull like this.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

There is not a whole lot I'm certain about nowadays, but I am certain about one thing. Accuracy is more important than caliber. IMO, any caliber mentioned so far, with the proper ammo, is plenty good at stopping people. But to stop people, no matter the caliber, you need to hit what you are aiming at. So my advise always is to find the gun & caliber that feels best for you... and shoot the shit out of it.

I have personally had law enforcement come shoot with us & bring their huge, magnum whatever. One guy couldn't even hit the target he flinched so bad. Guess he figured having a big, bad gun was all it took. Me, I don't flinch shooting 9mm and to me, that is all that matters. I have friends who feel the same about their .45.

Glock might be a fine gun, but I'm a 9mm Sig man. My German made P226 hits where I point and the expensive, modern 9mm ammo today has all the stopping power I want.
    Last edited by Redneck; 07-31-2020 at 09:13 PM.
    Slippy, inceptor and wallyLOZ like this.

I do know that ammunition has come a long ways lately. It seems like everyone is in love with the Glock 19 on all these gun forms so I figured the nine mm must have come a long way
    The Glock 19 has always been popular. It is probably the best all around pistol Glock has made. It is not the best all around pistol in the world, perhaps, but it is the best one Glock makes.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links