Why the sudden love for 9 mm? - Page 11
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Why the sudden love for 9 mm?

This is a discussion on Why the sudden love for 9 mm? within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by Redneck Man, am I ever glad you don't live near me. Why’s that? I’d share my fat buddy with you....

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree367Likes

Thread: Why the sudden love for 9 mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Man, am I ever glad you don't live near me.
    Why’s that? I’d share my fat buddy with you.
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    Why’s that? I’d share my fat buddy with you.
    Ha. Hell I might be his salvation. You might choose me to go first. I consider my extra weight as prepping for a crisis. I'm good for a couple of months before I'd need to open my stored food.
    KUSA and hawgrider like this.

The Good Cop

Point was, my training took over and I performed as trained. Each month, when not on alert out in the missile field, we spent a lot of time in the simulators fighting all sorts of wars and handling security & maintenance issues. Was I stressed during this real event? To the max. But muscle memory set in and I performed as expected. My hope is, if faced with an intruder, I will calm down & perform as trained.
    That is the key - good training. Hundreds of hours of training. I'm sure you would be fine.

I was trained by the best. Repetetive training. In my first contact I did not even think, I reacted.
    Men have also frozen, and done nothing. Well trained men.
    After the first, you know what to do, it is not totally foriegn. If you survive.

The average keyboard commando who has had zero Army or Marine training, or only one or two civilian classes, will probably stop for a fraction of a second and think "what should I do?" That man is in big trouble at the start. And may not survive.

"Shot placement" may sound good, but when the rubber meets the road, shot placement is a matter of luck. That is why Army riflemen are taught to aim for center mass. Or, at least we were in the 1960's. That way you have the best chance of scoring a hit somewhere on the body.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    "Shot placement" may sound good, but when the rubber meets the road, shot placement is a matter of luck. That is why Army riflemen are taught to aim for center mass. Or, at least we were in the 1960's. That way you have the best chance of scoring a hit somewhere on the body.
    Guess it depends on what you mean by shot placement. As I said, with my Sig, I train to simply hit a torso several times very quick without lining up the sights. So for me, shot placement is like you say... center mass. I have no illusion I could aim under stress & put one between the eyes. I wouldn't want to take the time. My goal is to quickly make hits. I can clean up and finish later.
    rice paddy daddy and inceptor like this.

I thought somebody said we should go for shots to the scrotum? That makes em bend bend and grab themselves and drop the gun,.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I thought somebody said we should go for shots to the scrotum? That makes em bend bend and grab themselves and drop the gun,.
    And if your not using a rifle, gets around body armor.

The Good Cop

Guess it depends on what you mean by shot placement. As I said, with my Sig, I train to simply hit a torso several times very quick without lining up the sights. So for me, shot placement is like you say... center mass. I have no illusion I could aim under stress & put one between the eyes. I wouldn't want to take the time. My goal is to quickly make hits. I can clean up and finish later.
    The people I was refering to use the shot placement mantra to say they would put two in the heart (or somewhere specific) and one in the head, deliberately and on purpose. They are found on every gun/shooting forum I belong to.
    These people are not grounded in reality.
    That was my point.

My reality is I am going to try to simply hit the bastard as many times as possible as quick as I can.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I took 16 hours of defensive training from the local sheriff's department. It was a requirement to apply to become a member of their range ($100 per year membership, plus pay for the training).
    I remember at one point the instructor teaching that if you have a 9MM and the bad guy is advancing toward you, try to hit the pelvis. If you break the pelvis, forward motion will stop.

The range turned into a housing development (Damn Yankees moving to Florida) but I still have my range badge.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    I took 16 hours of defensive training from the local sheriff's department. It was a requirement to apply to become a member of their range ($100 per year membership, plus pay for the training).
    I remember at one point the instructor teaching that if you have a 9MM and the bad guy is advancing toward you, try to hit the pelvis. If you break the pelvis, forward motion will stop.

The range turned into a housing development (Damn Yankees moving to Florida) but I still have my range badge.
    This was similar instruction at the Brinks armored car defense training I had. Back then we carried S&W 38s in a attacker situation where they are advancing especially with a knife was to end the motion of the threat by shoot pelvic area then end the threat with the last 4 or 5 rounds center mass while getting off the X

Center-mass of the target presented you . Shoot until treat is stopped. Best you can hope for. Why do you think m16 went to 3 round select fire. 3 shots next target 3 next.....
    inceptor and stevekozak like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links