What Are You Carrying Today? - Page 15
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What Are You Carrying Today?

This is a discussion on What Are You Carrying Today? within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by bigwheel Got my liittle .22 mouse gun in my pocket which it lives. Question: An old surrogate Daddy type pal passed a ...

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree325Likes

Thread: What Are You Carrying Today?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Got my liittle .22 mouse gun in my pocket which it lives. Question: An old surrogate Daddy type pal passed a few days about leaving a widow in poor health and dont get around very good. She is worried about bad guys attacking her but dont know anything about guns. The pal has a big Glock whichever one that is..unknorwn caiblre but suspect .40 or 9mm and she cant work the slide...and asked me to try to help her get a smaller pistol and perhaps sell the Glock to pay for the new gun and wants me to teach er how to shoot it..yikes. Anybody know how much one of those things is worth? Was thinking maybe suggesting she get a six shooter and impled maybe a little NAA wihich I carry around the house and the wife carries to the store etc. Anybody got theories? I had planned to try to fix her up with a single barrell shot gun..preferably .20 gauge and loaded with birdshot...sicne I spent quite a while trying to convince scared housewifes that was ideal for home defense for dummies who dont know anything about guns...was gonna take my .12 single shot over there but my wife went bersrek ssaying she couldnt handle it etc. Thaniks.
    Well, everyone is going to have an opinion. Here's mine for what it's worth: no single shot shotgun. She isn't going to be able to reload quickly of she needs to. Double barrel maybe. But I would just sell the Glock (when I bought my Glocks, they were around $450-500). I'd get her a nice little .38 wheelgun and teach her to cock the hammer for each shot... so the trigger pull isn't too tough. You'll have to get her out and shoot it though. I have similar scenarios in my family now... people with absolutely NO experience with guns suddenly wanting one. Kind of nerve wracking LOL. If you can keep her from blowing her own foot off, you're doing good.
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    Well, everyone is going to have an opinion. Here's mine for what it's worth: no single shot shotgun. She isn't going to be able to reload quickly of she needs to. Double barrel maybe. But I would just sell the Glock (when I bought my Glocks, they were around $450-500). I'd get her a nice little .38 wheelgun and teach her to cock the hammer for each shot... so the trigger pull isn't too tough. You'll have to get her out and shoot it though. I have similar scenarios in my family now... people with absolutely NO experience with guns suddenly wanting one. Kind of nerve wracking LOL. If you can keep her from blowing her own foot off, you're doing good.
    Some of the girls in our office who don't already own guns are buying guns because of the shit happening in the world. I find it kind of funny that they are just now figuring out the world is a bad place. But anyways, they are all now coming to some of us guys in the office they know hunt and are licensed to carry wanting us to teach them. Not my place I tell them. First of all their boyfriends and husbands should be teaching them or better yet, I tell them to spend the few bucks and take a course from a licensed instructor. It's one thing to teach your own girlfriend, wife, or your kids, it's quite another to be teaching women who have never held a gun, much less fired one. I don't need that headache.
    StratMaster and Michael_Js like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Got my liittle .22 mouse gun in my pocket which it lives. Question: An old surrogate Daddy type pal passed a few days about leaving a widow in poor health and dont get around very good. She is worried about bad guys attacking her but dont know anything about guns. The pal has a big Glock whichever one that is..unknorwn caiblre but suspect .40 or 9mm and she cant work the slide...and asked me to try to help her get a smaller pistol and perhaps sell the Glock to pay for the new gun and wants me to teach er how to shoot it..yikes. Anybody know how much one of those things is worth? Was thinking maybe suggesting she get a six shooter and impled maybe a little NAA wihich I carry around the house and the wife carries to the store etc. Anybody got theories? I had planned to try to fix her up with a single barrell shot gun..preferably .20 gauge and loaded with birdshot...sicne I spent quite a while trying to convince scared housewifes that was ideal for home defense for dummies who dont know anything about guns...was gonna take my .12 single shot over there but my wife went bersrek ssaying she couldnt handle it etc. Thaniks.
    Have you tried teaching her the hold and push method to rack the slide? Assuming she is right handed, she grasps the slide with her left hand and then pushes with the right. My mother who will be 73 in November just got her LTC last month. She struggled at first with racking the slide and loading the magazines, but she learned how to do it. The trigger pull on my father’s GP100 was too difficult.

Another thought is that once the pistol is loaded, you shouldn’t have to touch the slide again except for cleaning (or clearing, but that is a different problem), and I’m guessing she will not be cleaning it. She can use the slide release after changing mags and be good to go.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    The 38 can be a handful for the novice. Start her off with some speer plastic bullet (primer actuated) shells and then work up to the wadcutter loads. These are usually pretty tame but the full wad cutter cuts a nice full diameter hole thru flesh.

If you can find them a box of .38 Short Colts are easy in recoil and about as powerful as a 38 wad cutter
    StratMaster and Michael_Js like this.
    “If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”

Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Real Old Man View Post
    The 38 can be a handful for the novice. Start her off with some speer plastic bullet (primer actuated) shells and then work up to the wadcutter loads. These are usually pretty tame but the full wad cutter cuts a nice full diameter hole thru flesh.

If you can find them a box of .38 Short Colts are easy in recoil and about as powerful as a 38 wad cutter
    I was going to say the same thing. Firing my 38 SPL hurts my hand and the muzzle rise is even worse than with my 9 mm or 380 auto (which is already...bad; I can't seem to control it). I recommend a Sig P238, which is super easy to rack (my friend with bad arthritis in her hands can rack it) and accurate for such a small gun.
    Real Old Man and Michael_Js like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    I was going to say the same thing. Firing my 38 SPL hurts my hand and the muzzle rise is even worse than with my 9 mm or 380 auto (which is already...bad; I can't seem to control it). I recommend a Sig P238, which is super easy to rack (my friend with bad arthritis in her hands can rack it) and accurate for such a small gun.
    Was lucky and found a couple of Colt Pony's about a year ago. No they're not for sale.
    “If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”

Jeff Cooper

I would recommend a Keltec .22 mag.
    Light as a feather, 30 round mags and decent power with Hornady ammo.

TMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Michael_Js likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TenMileHunter View Post
    I would recommend a Keltec .22 mag.
    Light as a feather, 30 round mags and decent power with Hornady ammo.
    22 mag out of a short barrel is extremally loud and makes a huge muzzle blast.
    I'd suggest a S&W EZ either in 9mm https://www.smith-wesson.com/9ez
    Or in .380 https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
    Both are easier to pull the slide back on and have "Cocking Ears" on the slide which makes it easier to grip and pull on the slide.

Today my wife and I just walked and made a big loop around neighboring areas. Yes, there was one long, dark, walkway with a penumbra of tree tops. Just knives and hiking shoes. I did see one very dangerous looking squirrel, but other than that...
    paulag1955 likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

My Sig P938 Legion in a Talon TUCKABLE AIWB with a spare mag. When warm enough to wear a jacket it'll be the P229 Legion 9mm. And always a Buck 110 Auto Elite.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Are You Carrying Today?-img_2971_1601049678350.jpg  

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Sponsored Links