Critical Duty vs Critical Defense
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Critical Duty vs Critical Defense within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Worth a watch. I use both IMO still does not make that much of a difference . Hit the target is still number one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload...ature=youtu.be...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Critical Duty vs Critical Defense

Worth a watch. I use both IMO still does not make that much of a difference . Hit the target is still number one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload...ature=youtu.be
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Using one pre-engraved round or another is not worth quibbling over, they work.

Prime importance is as @Smitty901 says, hitting the target is more important.

I have plenty of JHP in my inventory, every ready magazine is loaded with them, for pistols that is.

Not all of it is pre-engraved but still JHP, I don't think that someone hit with any of it is going to know the difference.

They should be dead before their head hits the ground, ideally, if you do your job.

All rifle ammo is FMJ, subguns the same way.

Today when I go out to my range, no more center mass practice, throat and face are the prime target.

Secondary targets are the femoral arteries. first round is center mass, then move up or down.
    Denton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Worth a watch. I use both IMO still does not make that much of a difference . Hit the target is still number one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload...ature=youtu.be
    Good video. When I picked a round for carry and to stock I went with Gold Dot 124 +p. Problem is no one around here stocks them so I have to order them online however there are many places that stock both critical defense and critical duty.
    Slippy likes this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NotTooProudToHide View Post
    Good video. When I picked a round for carry and to stock I went with Gold Dot 124 +p. Problem is no one around here stocks them so I have to order them online however there are many places that stock both critical defense and critical duty.
    Gold dot is what I use to use. It will do the job
    SOCOM42 likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I get a small impression from some of the comments here that the video was not watched in its entirety.
    There was a massive difference in the rounds, by design.

"Critical Defense" is intended to penetrate heavy clothing, mushroom consistently, and stop within 11-12" of travel.
    "Critical Duty" is intended to penetrate sheet rock, sheet metal, windshields, 3/4" plywood, and other barriers, and still travel a MINIMUM of 12" through flesh *after* that. Most are designed to travel 14+"

That is most definitely something worth a second look.
    As civilians carrying to protect ourselves, we should be fully aware of the penetration power of our rounds. We are responsible for everything our fired bullet hits, whether it is in front of, or behind our target.
    I know I've bought a box of two of "Duty", and might go check some mags to see if any are loaded with it. That is a bit too much penetration for me, especially in a home defense setting, and not something I want to try to defend in court when a better suited round is available.
    SRU Viper, KUSA, Elvis and 2 others like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

The Good Cop

I carry Critical Defense in my .380 mainly because that is what the Ace Hardware in town stocks in that caliber.

I wish Remington would expand their Golden Saber line. The 125 grain .357 magnum consistently expands to .62 inch, and with adequate penetration.
    stevekozak likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

For my short barreled carry pistols I prefer Federal HST. While I hope to never need it in shorter barrels HST seems to bloom open better after going through denim than other hollow points judging by online reports. I know it feeds well in my pistols.

The biggest problem with Federal HST shells seems to be getting the dang box open, it almost requires a screwdriver to pry open the box.
    Denton likes this.

I have run HST in my carry pistols but may look at that again. I picked up a package deal of both Critical and Duty before this whole China bug nonsense at academy. 100 rounds each I think. I am thinking maybe Duty for my carry weapons and Critical for home protection. I don't know, at the end of the day it's like @Smitty901 says, do your job and the bullet will do it's job.
    Slippy likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Critical duty has a much harder recoil than critical defense. Critical duty is much harder to control in compact and subcompact pistols.
    Prepared One likes this.

I like the Hornady Critical Defense and have a number of my carry handguns loaded with this exceptional round.

But on a different note, right beside me on the mantel is my favorite 1911, Springfield Armory TRP Stainless in .45 ACP.

The absolute best and most accurate rounds that I have shot with this precision 1911 firearm are 200 Grain Semi Wad Cutters Match Ammo.

I'm here to tell you that I'd feel most comfortable and confident going in to a self defense situation with this handgun and this round. PERIOD END OF STORY. (Good Lord willing that I never have to...)

The 200 Grain Semi Wadcutter Match Ammo is all I have loaded in the Wilson Combat Magazines that are allocated to my Springfield TRP.
    Chiefster23 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links