.380 for concealed carry?

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on .380 for concealed carry? within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I have a small Taurus .380 that is so easy to carry, dont even know it's in my pocket. But I normally carry my glock ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: .380 for concealed carry?

I have a small Taurus .380 that is so easy to carry, dont even know it's in my pocket. But I normally carry my glock 43 9mm. I really like the little .380 but not sure if it's enough fire power.
    Your thoughts on a .380 and what ammo would you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Swrock View Post
    I have a small Taurus .380 that is so easy to carry, dont even know it's in my pocket. But I normally carry my glock 43 9mm. I really like the little .380 but not sure if it's enough fire power.
    Your thoughts on a .380 and what ammo would you use?
    Forget the caliber of ammo and ask yourself a couple of questions;

1.) Am I carrying only because the firearm is comfortable?
    2.) Which firearm am I more accurate with and has a better chance of saving my life?

Then do some drills comparing your accuracy with the Taurus .380 and the Glock 43 in 9mm.

Start off at 10 yards and a paper target that has multiple "mini" Bullseye sections. (Some targets have a center bullseye and then 4 others in each corner of the paper. That is perfect for this drill.

Take 5 shots with the Taurus and then 5 shots with the Glock at separate bullseye sections. Do this a couple of times with each firearm and compare your results.

Back off to 15 and then 20 yards and do the same. The results should give you an idea of which firearm you should be carrying.

(And maybe the .380 becomes your back up gun and the Glock your primary? Just some thoughts)
    Last edited by Slippy; 01-26-2020 at 01:42 PM.
    Denton, MI.oldguy, SOCOM42 and 2 others like this.

The Good Cop

For years I always pocket carried either a J-frame 357 magnum revolver, or a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special. With a corresponding HKS Speed Loader in the other pocket.

We live in a very low violent crime area, and will only go into the city for a dire emergency, so after reading good things about the Ruger LCP2 I bought one. With the advances in technology, the .380 is getting right up there with the 9MM Luger.
    After all, a .380 is actually a 9MM also. 380 = 9X17 MM, 9MM Luger = 9X19 MM

I use Hornady Critical Defense 90 grain, mainly because that is what the Ace Hardware in town carries in 380 defensive ammo.

The LCP2 has no safety, but can safely carried with a live round in the chamber so it is familiar to old revolver guys such as myself. So, 7 rounds in the pistol and a spare magazine of 6 in a nylon knife pouch on my belt and I'm good to go.

Yes, a hit or maybe even two, with the 357 will get the job done better than the same amount of 380, but I've got 7 instantly available now, rather than the 5 before.
    And besides, most handguns are low powered and won't easily stop a determined aggressor until you get up to the 44 magnum or higher.
    A robber won't be able to tell whether he just got shot with a 380 or a 9.
    Slippy and MI.oldguy like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

i use to carry a 380, a Walther PPKS, carried it for about 12 years.

I was never comfortable with the round, that was a long time ago, 1968-80.

Back then there was little choice in round type and one poor HP that I remember.

I had switched to an S&W 39-2 for a particular evening out in West Roxbury.

I got home around 2 AM, encountered 2 thugs stealing my brothers brandy new Thunderbird.

Ended up shooting both of then, in their drug enhanced condition I do not think the 380 would have stopped them.

The Remington HP's did, one a double tap.

Today I do not even own a 380, but have 5 9MM guns and a bunch of 45 auto's.

I carry a 38 special as a backup with +P loads that will do the job quite well.

All the 9 MM's are loaded with Black Talon rounds.

Have to stop typing, loosing my sight, migraine attack.
    Slippy and rice paddy daddy like this.

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    I ankle carry a .380, but don’t tell anyone......
    Slippy and Deebo like this.

My EDC carry pistol is a SIG Sauer .380 ACP. Yes, I still have my Kimber .45 ACP, and I have no real excuse for not carrying it more often. However, if my wife and I are going to mall, either to read magazines or window shop, I'd have to lug around "more pistol" and at least two .45 ACP magazines. The reality of the situation is that in a defensive exchange your attacker is just a few feet away. My guess is that even with a .380 ACP, that distance might end as a perforation.

.380 for concealed carry?-dsc03032.jpg
    paulag1955 likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Yeah I wallet carry a Kahr P380 daily and wifey has a Glock 42. Also carry a 22mag NAA which everybody laughs at. Yet I haven't found anyone willing to take a couple 22mags to the face or chest. Same with the 380's.

The new defensive ammo is pretty good stuff. Wouldn't worry about a little less penetration compared to the carry standard, 9mm. As long as you have something nobody wants to get shot.

Slippy likes this.

Up close personal no reason a 380 will not do the job. Long as you can shoot it. many have issues shooting small hand guns.
    Slippy likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

My EDC is a Glock 43, but I often drop a Kel Tec 380 in my pocket when a run to store, or for lunch.
    My wife carries a Taurus 380 with crimson lazer always.
    We have shot them a lot and are comfortable with them.
    They are only to get us to our vehicle-- hopefully.
    We have other options

Good video. Looks like it would do. For close personal defense.
    Only time I carry it is shorts, t shirt and flip flops kind of day. Whole lot better than nothing.
    Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links