.380 for concealed carry? - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

.380 for concealed carry?

This is a discussion on .380 for concealed carry? within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by Notold63 I normally carry a Sig P-229 in 9mm, but there are times because of how I dress that I carry a ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: .380 for concealed carry?

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Notold63 View Post
    I normally carry a Sig P-229 in 9mm, but there are times because of how I dress that I carry a Colt Mustang in .380 auto. When I first bought the Mustang I was surprised at how accurate I was with it. My original intention was to use it for backup only, but now it is my primary carry on rare occasions.

As for the stopping power of the .380 auto, ballistics for the .380 auto is very similar to that of the .36 caliber cap and ball pistol. The .36 caliber Navy Colt was the favorite pistol of James “Wild Bill” Hickok, considered by many to be the deadliest gunfighter in the old West. He didn’t seem to have any problems with stopping power the pistols considering that the vast majority of his encounters to one shot and were almost always fatal.

As with any pistol, shot placement is of paramount importance.
    I've got the Colt mark IV Government .380 very similar to the mustang. Its a pleasure to shoot and very accurate and now worth about 700.00 in the used market.
    RubberDuck, Notold63 and bigwheel like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    I'm an Old Soldier, and it simply goes against every fiber of my being to walk around with my shirt untucked.
    Well, as an old soldier did you ever have to disguise yourself to infiltrate the enemy? By my seat of the pants guess you are among more enemies now than before!

Okay, I'll admit, I never wear a disguise. *sigh* The problem is that I don't really give a rip for most people I meet. But Rice Paddy Daddy, you're supposed to have more swave and deboner than us average scooter jockeys.

I could have used some real-deal swave this morning, but I digress...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by Swrock View Post
    I have a small Taurus .380 that is so easy to carry, dont even know it's in my pocket. But I normally carry my glock 43 9mm. I really like the little .380 but not sure if it's enough fire power.
    Your thoughts on a .380 and what ammo would you use?
    380 rocks. Doubletap ammo rocks. Get a good holster and rock on.

Denton and rice paddy daddy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    380 rocks. Doubletap ammo rocks. Get a good holster and rock on.

Is that a hollow point with a ballistic tip? No ballistic tip? hard to tell from phone.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Is that a hollow point with a ballistic tip? No ballistic tip? hard to tell from phone.
    Looks like a thin walled hollow point not ballistic tip.
    My Lcp feed ramp rejects that type of ammo

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What is up with the double tap label. Cant imagine a small .380 get off too many accurate double taps very far off.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
    Looks like a thin walled hollow point not ballistic tip.
    My Lcp feed ramp rejects that type of ammo

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    You are correct. It is a wide mouth all copper hollow point.

My LCP probably would choke on it. Fortunately my bodyguard eats anything.
    RubberDuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    You are correct. It is a wide mouth all copper hollow point.

My LCP probably would choke on it. Fortunately my bodyguard eats anything.
    The issue I would have with that type of bullet for .380 is wintertime carry is that bullet may plug with heavy coat material. I prefer FMJ for all the penetration I can get with the .380. I believe the testing site "box of truth" has tested hollowpoint in .380 and found plugging can cause penetration issues. Just food for thought.
    Smitty901 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    What is up with the double tap label. Cant imagine a small .380 get off too many accurate double taps very far off.
    The trick is let a girl shoot it and double tap all day long. 380 will often not have what it takes to push a hollow tip or other exotic round deep enough . I stick with a 95 gr flat nose for the 380
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails .380 for concealed carry?-101_2704.jpg  

hawgrider likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

.380 for concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    The issue I would have with that type of bullet for .380 is wintertime carry is that bullet may plug with heavy coat material. I prefer FMJ for all the penetration I can get with the .380. I believe the testing site "box of truth" has tested hollowpoint in .380 and found plugging can cause penetration issues. Just food for thought.
    That’s true so aim for the face and be done with it.

I tend to carry the 380 in warmer weather and my 9mm (124gr) in cold weather. It’s harder to conceal the 9 with a t shirt but a jacket does a nice job.
    Notold63 likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links