.380 for concealed carry? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

.380 for concealed carry?

This is a discussion on .380 for concealed carry? within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; My EDC handguns are a 3-inch Kimber and/or a smaller SIG Sauer. I leave the appropriate holsters on two pairs of jeans I have, and ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: .380 for concealed carry?

My EDC handguns are a 3-inch Kimber and/or a smaller SIG Sauer. I leave the appropriate holsters on two pairs of jeans I have, and simple selection determines which concealed carry option rules the day.

Truth be told, I no longer get paranoid going to the East Towne Mall. My wife and I recently went there for new magazines and old coffee and found cops patrolling in groups of "three." Never saw that before, my guess is that one of them was being trained. I think it was the female of the trio that was getting indoctrinated. She looked jumpy, and the two other guys simply looked bored.

Personally, I think the Madison East Towne Mall is on it's last legs. There was always a few store-fronts opening and closing. As I took my walk through the mall yesterday I found at least five store-fronts (in good locations) all boarded up and no signs of new businesses being set up.

Now, this might sound racist, but here's another guess. My wife and I were there for a few hours, I never saw any ethnics of any type. If that segment of the population won't go to a mall on the weekend I'd guess that demographic was either out of ammunition or just too stupid to steal a car for shopping...

Edit: Funny story. When my wife said she wanted to go to the mall, I had just finished a shower. In the rush, I just grabbed a pair of jeans and my truck keys and off we went. During the conversation she asked if I was carrying, and I responded, "Yeah, I grabbed a pistol." She looked oddly at me and said, "Now, I'm a rookie at this," she laughed, "but that looks like a revolver to me..." All I said was, "Looks like I grabbed the wrong pants..."
    Last edited by The Tourist; 01-27-2020 at 06:43 AM.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

.380 for concealed carry?-bersa.jpg
    When I first considered the .380 I did quite a bit of research on the ammunition. At a given self defense range the .380 is to the body what a 9mm is since they are both the same diameter. Next, a "grain" is 1:7000/lb. There is not a huge difference between a 95 grain bullet and a 115 grain bullet. Now, if I were to be in the military (and have been) and wanting to shoot a bad guy at 25-30 yards I would want a 9mm. If I am taking a defensive position in civilian life I don't necessarily want to kill a person. I want to STOP them and a .380 Hornady Critical Defense out of a Bersa .380 CC is just as effective as a 9mm at a further war time distance, one that would get me in trouble before a grand jury if I were to try to shoot that far.
    Last edited by marineimaging; 01-29-2020 at 07:57 PM.
    bigwheel and rice paddy daddy like this.

Most of the time I pocket carry a Ruger LCP .380 and there are several reasons I have chosen this set up. First of all by law I cannot take a firearm into my place of employment, pocket carry means I can quickly and easily stash my carry gun in my car console when I go in and slide it back in my pocket on my way home. Secondly its so damn easy to just slide it into my pocket and go do whatever I need to do. The .380 isn't the "best" carry round and the LCP isn't the "best" carry gun but they both fit my particular situation well, however I do find myself defaulting to a 9mm shield carried IWB when I'm not walking into work.

This youtube video gives a pretty good reference point for .380 rounds

When it comes for my yearly switching out of carry ammo I order a new box of the precision one .380, shoot whats in my magazines as well as whats left of the old box, and load up again from the new box. I don't shoot my .380 very often and I don't stock .380 deep so this works pretty well for me.

More often than not, you're going to have a significant leg up should you get in a shooting situation if you can fire your weapon accurately and you maintain your weapon so that it doesn't malfunction after one or two rounds.
    chuckklr98 likes this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I hope this picture posted. I'm having trouble this morning. I think I might have to be going back to this pistol. This strange world is getting stranger. I love my P238, but that might be "false economy."

.380 for concealed carry?-dsc03035.jpg
    Last edited by The Tourist; 01-30-2020 at 07:52 AM.
    RedLion likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by marineimaging View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bersa.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	290.8 KB 
ID:	103241
    When I first considered the .380 I did quite a bit of research on the ammunition. At a given self defense range the .380 is to the body what a 9mm is since they are both the same diameter. Next, a "grain" is 1:7000/lb. There is not a huge difference between a 95 grain bullet and a 115 grain bullet. Now, if I were to be in the military (and have been) and wanting to shoot a bad guy at 25-30 yards I would want a 9mm. If I am taking a defensive position in civilian life I don't necessarily want to kill a person. I want to STOP them and a .380 Hornady Critical Defense out of a Bersa .380 CC is just as effective as a 9mm at a further war time distance, one that would get me in trouble before a grand jury if I were to try to shoot that far.
    Thanks for that link. Wondered what was the cream of the crop fodder for those things nowadays. Never know when a person might stumble over one or has a pal that has one..or thinking of getting one. I have several pals who say those Bersas work very good.
    marineimaging likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NotTooProudToHide View Post
    Most of the time I pocket carry a Ruger LCP .380 and there are several reasons I have chosen this set up. First of all by law I cannot take a firearm into my place of employment, pocket carry means I can quickly and easily stash my carry gun in my car console when I go in and slide it back in my pocket on my way home. Secondly its so damn easy to just slide it into my pocket and go do whatever I need to do. The .380 isn't the "best" carry round and the LCP isn't the "best" carry gun but they both fit my particular situation well, however I do find myself defaulting to a 9mm shield carried IWB when I'm not walking into work.

This youtube video gives a pretty good reference point for .380 rounds

When it comes for my yearly switching out of carry ammo I order a new box of the precision one .380, shoot whats in my magazines as well as whats left of the old box, and load up again from the new box. I don't shoot my .380 very often and I don't stock .380 deep so this works pretty well for me.

More often than not, you're going to have a significant leg up should you get in a shooting situation if you can fire your weapon accurately and you maintain your weapon so that it doesn't malfunction after one or two rounds.
    I also carry a lcp . Only gripe is its so small it gets lost sometimes in the house. lol
    NotTooProudToHide likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Swrock View Post
    I have a small Taurus .380 that is so easy to carry, dont even know it's in my pocket. But I normally carry my glock 43 9mm. I really like the little .380 but not sure if it's enough fire power.
    Your thoughts on a .380 and what ammo would you use?
    Your .380 is a pretty decent choice.

Most confrontations occur at distances less than 5 yards. Your .380 will cover that distance

A .380 is more than capable of producing the pucker factor when cowards attack. Most confrontations end upon the first discharge of a firearm, regardless of caliber.

The only problem you could run into (and it's a rare problem) is if you are confronted by someone who is suicidal or drugged up. Reason being: The energy foot pounds produced by a .380 is not typically enough to drop an average size adult male (Unless of course your shot placement is on point). And people who are suicidal or drugged up DGAF about getting shot, they just keep coming at you.

But, it's definitely a great option for the most common types confrontations. I'd say your bases are pretty well covered. Just keep practicing.

As far as ammo is concerned. Paul Harrell has a few videos on .380 ammo performance. Check out his videos, it will give you a great foundation to make a your own selection.
    Elvis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckklr98 View Post
    I also carry a lcp . Only gripe is its so small it gets lost sometimes in the house. lol
    Noisy Cricket from Men in Black

I ended up putting a hogue grip on the pistol and carry it with a 7 round magazine with the magazine extension. it has made a world of difference as I have Grape Ape hands. Not to mention that I feel pretty good about having 14 rounds available in a pretty small package.
    Notold63 and RubberDuck like this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

IMO if you have to put things on it that make the weapon larger to use it. Get the larger gun.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I normally carry a Sig P-229 in 9mm, but there are times because of how I dress that I carry a Colt Mustang in .380 auto. When I first bought the Mustang I was surprised at how accurate I was with it. My original intention was to use it for backup only, but now it is my primary carry on rare occasions.

As for the stopping power of the .380 auto, ballistics for the .380 auto is very similar to that of the .36 caliber cap and ball pistol. The .36 caliber Navy Colt was the favorite pistol of James “Wild Bill” Hickok, considered by many to be the deadliest gunfighter in the old West. He didn’t seem to have any problems with stopping power the pistols considering that the vast majority of his encounters to one shot and were almost always fatal.

As with any pistol, shot placement is of paramount importance.
    hawgrider likes this.
    Suck it up buttercup.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links