Handgun Defensive Training; Drills from Basic to Advanced
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Handgun Defensive Training; Drills from Basic to Advanced within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; What are some drills that you use at the range to increase your skill level with a defensive handgun? Of course any thread on Firearm ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Handgun Defensive Training; Drills from Basic to Advanced

What are some drills that you use at the range to increase your skill level with a defensive handgun?

Of course any thread on Firearm Training should start with SAFETY;

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT

To get us started, below are some things that you should think of as you go through various training drills;

Proper grip on the firearm
    Ability to bring the firearm from the holster to the target
    Using the firearm with a flashlight
    Reload the firearm when it runs out of ammo
    Clear a malfunction
    Practice on more than one target
    Train with an elevated heart rate
    Shoot off handed and Shoot one handed

Have carry insurance if you're going to carry for self-defense.
    Count rounds fired.
    Reload when it's advantageous, not when you're empty.
    Keep your head on a swivel to identify multiple threats.
    Learn to shoot from various body positions (kneeling, crouched, laying down etc)
    Shoot for body (center mass) first, if not then brains (head shot), if not then blood (extremities).
    Never assume your assailant is out of the fight just because they're on the ground.
    Remember perforating a BG should be your last resort.
    Despite your wishes to the contrary, render your assailant medical aid once you're 100% sure it's safe to do so. Yeah, I know we'd love to see the lowlife sink into hell, but trying to save the worthless POS life will look good in court.

When calling 911, simply state, "There's been a shooting at _____address or location_____". DO NOT say, "I just shot a guy..."
    When the authorities arrive, surrender your firearm, identify yourself.......... then SHUT THE FOOK UP.
    Remember..... anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. Nothing you say will be used by the prosecution to help you.
    You're most likely going to be arrested regardless of how justified your shooting was.
    Even if there's no criminal charges filed against you, get ready for the civil trial.The family always sues. You can just hear his momma say on the 9-o'clock news, "Every time my darling, perfect, precious, innocent LeRoy mugs someone, he shouldn't have to worry about being shot by his victims...."
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Load the mags out of sight of trainee with a empty or snap cab to simulate a failure. Have done this with revolvers also for a misfire. This is great for training an unskilled shooter that thinks things will always go bang.
    Slippy and Crunch like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Load the mags out of sight of trainee with a empty or snap cab to simulate a failure. Have done this with revolvers also for a misfire. This is great for training an unskilled shooter that thinks things will always go bang.
    I had a reloader friend make me several 'blanks' for just such a purpose. A couple for every caliber.
    Slippy likes this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Not only practice with your weak hand, but also practice reloading, manipulating controls and clearing jams using just one hand.
    You may be shot in your arm during the initial exchange of fire.

Do 20 or so fast pushups and an equal number of situps just before shooting to elevate your heart rate, like fear will.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 01-25-2020 at 12:18 PM.
    BamaDOC, Slippy and RedLion like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Strong grip and I always have to make it an effort to have my support hand thumb high and "Strong" on any semiauto that I shoot. For some reason I shoot wheel guns pretty well.
    Slippy likes this.

Banned

Finding adequate cover in an urban environment. So, practicing engagement behind the engine block of a car.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Not only practice with your weak hand, but also practice reloading, manipulating controls and clearing jams using just one hand.
    You may be shot in your arm during the initial exchange of fire.

Do 20 or so fast pushups and an equal number of situps just before shooting to elevate your heart rate, like fear will.
    I knew a guy that went on a 2 mile run and as soon as back home, picked up his bow and took a half dozen shots. Simulating stress.
    rice paddy daddy and Slippy like this.

"Practice with a purpose" In other words have a goal in mind for your range session.

Take your time and concentrate on the front sight on your follow up shots.

When shooting semi-autos, if you want to practice dropping a mag and reloading, only load 4 or 5 rounds in your magazines. You'll get more practice reloading magazines.

Periodically, re-holster or clear the firearm, muzzle pointed downrange and take a few moments to think about your goals/shot placement/form etc.

Also, if you have a shooting partner with you, get a competition going to help keep yourself focused and have some fun!

Slip, when I used to shoot with friends, we used to load each others' magazines. We had a dummy round somewhere in the magazine and it was amazing how much "wobble" was produced when the shooter found the dummy. It taught us all how to settle down and concentrate on our grip.
    Slippy and RedLion like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links