What .357 magnum rounds for bear.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What .357 magnum rounds for bear. within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I have a Smith & Wesson. 357 magnum that I will take when I go hiking. 686 pro series with 4 inch barrell. Black bears ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: What .357 magnum rounds for bear.

I have a Smith & Wesson. 357 magnum that I will take when I go hiking. 686 pro series with 4 inch barrell. Black bears only in my area. What rounds do yall think would be best for bear should I unfortunately get near an aggressive mama bear? I was thinking about ordering the buffalo bore 180 grain hard tip.
    Slippy and RedLion like this.

The buffalo bore sounds like a grand prize winner.
    https://www.xdtalk.com/threads/357-m...defense.47552/
    RedLion likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Swrock View Post
    I have a Smith & Wesson. 357 magnum that I will take when I go hiking. 686 pro series with 4 inch barrell. Black bears only in my area. What rounds do yall think would be best for bear should I unfortunately get near an aggressive mama bear? I was thinking about ordering the buffalo bore 180 grain hard tip.
    Well, depends on if you're alone or with a friend. I agree with buffalo bore unless you're with a friend, then go with something a lot lighter......you just want to wound your friend enough to slow him down, not kill him.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Thanks. Good read there.
    bigwheel likes this.

You can use that which is expensive or 158 GR. JHP.

We have black bears around here, I carry a 4' S&W 629 loaded with Black Talon if needed.

Today that would be Winchester SXT ammo.

Best to just avoid them.

A heavy solid jacketed can be used also, you don't want just lead, not enough velocity unless you load.

Then use bullets made from lineotype, 158 grain Keith semi wadcutter.

They won't lead up the bore too quick.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-10-2020 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Well, depends on if you're alone or with a friend. I agree with buffalo bore unless you're with a friend, then go with something a lot lighter......you just want to wound your friend enough to slow him down, not kill him.
    OMG, you must be the life of every party.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    OMG, you must be the life of every party.
    Shit, shoulda seen me when I was still drankin.....Never knew what I was gonna say next....couldn't remember what I'd said before......is was like meeting me and 5 unrelated people engaged in a competitive bout of dark humor and animal excrement....or was that black animals an humorous excitement........well shit...someday its a Zoo....somedays its an Arc....just ask Noah.....He knows a thing or two.
    Last edited by Old SF Guy; 01-10-2020 at 07:43 PM.

The Good Cop

I'm a 357 magnum aficionado, have snubby, a DA 4", a SA 4 & 3/4" and a SA 6 & 1/2".
    Next to the 45 Colt, my most favorite round.
    The snub is one of my daily carries, my favorite actually.

But if I could have a chance encounter with a black bear, I'd rather have a can of bear spray.
    Or a 12 ga pump loaded with 1 ounce slugs.
    RedLion and Old SF Guy like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    But if I could have a chance encounter with a black bear, I'd rather have a can of bear spray.
    I'm glad you said that...

I've reloaded just about every .357 Magnum combination they ever made. Then I gave up and bought an SW 624.

Frankly after seeing the damage the .357 magnum didn't do, I sold my Python and a 2.5 inch SW 66. Yeah, yeah, I know the history of the round, it was big stuff in 1935. But Elmer Keith was experimenting with .44 SPL cases even during WWII. To that, I bought a SW 624 to try and revisit how the magnum round was first invented. Turns out I liked the .44 SPL better!
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

The Handsome Husband carries a 10mm for bear.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links