What .357 magnum rounds for bear. - Page 5

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What .357 magnum rounds for bear.

This is a discussion on What .357 magnum rounds for bear. within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose Gosh, I'm sure I read it Cooper's corner but close friends of the Colonel always suggested using solids for game that ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: What .357 magnum rounds for bear.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
    Gosh, I'm sure I read it Cooper's corner but close friends of the Colonel always suggested using solids for game that would kill you. Break bones, forget about the flesh. They were talking the big continent but big bears here I'm sure qualify. And shoot again once they are down! Can't be too sure. The friend had a Scandinavian name, That's going to drive me crazy till I remember his name. I'm sure someone here knows who I'm referring to... I sure can't remember his name but he took a lot of dangerous game in Africa. Sorry to go off track.
    Yes. For large dangerous African game solid bullets are used.
    The hides are so tough and thick an expanding bullet would be completely spent before any thing vital was even hit.
    Smitty901 likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Swrock View Post
    I have a Smith & Wesson. 357 magnum that I will take when I go hiking. 686 pro series with 4 inch barrell. Black bears only in my area. What rounds do yall think would be best for bear should I unfortunately get near an aggressive mama bear? I was thinking about ordering the buffalo bore 180 grain hard tip.
    The more I read this thread, the more I enjoy hearing and learning from everyone all of the options out there.

But one thing has been "bothering" me about this thread...and it just dawned on me! Black Bear attacks on humans are pretty dang rare, I don't think there are more than 1 per year in the US but I'll look it up! Good thread though!

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    The more I read this thread, the more I enjoy hearing and learning from everyone all of the options out there.

But one thing has been "bothering" me about this thread...and it just dawned on me! Black Bear attacks on humans are pretty dang rare, I don't think there are more than 1 per year in the US but I'll look it up! Good thread though!
    I think any black bear attacks would most likely be the fault of the human.
    There are bear in our area, but in 20 years I have only seen one.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT bear threats is a good excuse to buy a new gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Slippy and Chiefster23 like this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by NotTooProudToHide View Post
    BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT bear threats is a good excuse to buy a new gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I like the way you think!

(But demotards, illegals, muslimes and cultural thugs are pretty dang good reasons too! )
    Chiefster23 likes this.

Well she did not attack but she darn sure indicated she would. I wish I was no so busy backing up had had gotten a picture when she stood up up close and personal. And yes I did consider my CC as a last resort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What .357 magnum rounds for bear.-dscn1041.jpg  

Slippy and NotTooProudToHide like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Well she did not attack but she darn sure indicated she would. I wish I was no so busy backing up had had gotten a picture when she stood up up close and personal. And yes I did consider my CC as a last resort.
    And you did the right thing. I haven 't seen this type of behavior regarding bears but I have seen multiple times fools approaching Bison to take pictures. Pretty dang stupid.

Back up people from wild animals. They are most likely more afraid of you than you of them.

And you did the right thing. I haven 't seen this type of behavior regarding bears but I have seen multiple times fools approaching Bison to take pictures. Pretty dang stupid.

Back up people from wild animals. They are most likely more afraid of you than you of them.
    We have encounted bear before on these rides but the first meeting with this one we could almost touch her and she was standing tall. The Cubs were not in the open. We were on the sidecar rig
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Best ending possible, both you and the bear left uninjured. I'm a firm believer that human life > animal life but its pretty sad when an animal pays the price for human ignorance/stupidity.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links