What .357 magnum rounds for bear. - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What .357 magnum rounds for bear.

This is a discussion on What .357 magnum rounds for bear. within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by Smitty901 Heck I do not remember have no looked in a long time I have had that Vaquero a long time Those ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: What .357 magnum rounds for bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Heck I do not remember have no looked in a long time I have had that Vaquero a long time
    Those were nice pistols, I didn't know they downgraded them.

My M29 was factory indexed. It shoots sweet.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Those were nice pistols, I didn't know they downgraded them.

My M29 was factory indexed. It shoots sweet.
    Ruger history - the original Blackhawk was built on a Colt SAA size frame and came in 357 magnum and 44 magnum. Today these are known as Flat Tops and are collectors items.
    In 1963, the frame size was made larger to accommodate stouter loads, these are known as Old Model Blackhawks.
    In the early 70’s the transfer bar system was introduced, the frame size remained the same. These are New Model Blackhawks.

The New Model in 45 Colt can handle loads even hotter than 44 magnum, loads that would blow a lesser gun into orbit.
    These loads are listed in the manuals as “Ruger only” because those are the only guns that can handle them.

The original Vaquero was built on the full size Blackhawk frame and can handle these very stout loads.
    The Cowboy Action shooters liked Ruger Vaqueros but did not like the big clumsy size and lobbied for a return to the old Colt size.
    Ruger accommodated them and produced a smaller size, the Cowboy people shot low power loads anyway.

I have a 1959 Flat Top 357 magnum ( man is she sweet ), a New Model Blackhawk 45 Convertible ( has Colt cylinder and ACP cylinder ), and a New Model Super Blackhawk 44 magnum.
    My life would be complete if I could find, and afford, a Flat Top 44 mag.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Swrock View Post
    I have a Smith & Wesson. 357 magnum that I will take when I go hiking. 686 pro series with 4 inch barrell. Black bears only in my area. What rounds do yall think would be best for bear should I unfortunately get near an aggressive mama bear? I was thinking about ordering the buffalo bore 180 grain hard tip.
    This is my choice. Haven’t tried it out on an actual critter yet though.

Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Significant what 2" of barrel will do to fps. I bet those would almost be a leading problem in a rifle. If I remember that happens ~1800 fps

About this time last year I picked up my first revolver which was an EAA Windicator .357 in a 4 inch barrel. I really don't live in black bear country but we have had sightings in our area alibit few and far between so I figured why not look for some bear defense ammo. I ended up getting a couple boxes of Buffalo Bore Heavy Outdoorsman 200 gr hard cast after I did a bit of internet research. Haven't had a chance to put a few down range yet but on paper they seem like they'll do the trick. If I was in an area where bears are a legitimate concern most likely I would pickup a Glock 20 and be done with it.
    Slippy likes this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    I have a Smith & Wesson. 357 magnum that I will take when I go hiking. 686 pro series with 4 inch barrell. Black bears only in my area. What rounds do yall think would be best for bear should I unfortunately get near an aggressive mama bear? I was thinking about ordering the buffalo bore 180 grain hard tip.
    This is my choice. Haven’t tried it out on an actual critter yet though.

Nice. I like the grips, mine are wood and a little hard to hold when I shoot it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What .357 magnum rounds for bear.-20200104_161410_1578847295251.jpg  

KUSA and Slippy like this.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Significant what 2" of barrel will do to fps. I bet those would almost be a leading problem in a rifle. If I remember that happens ~1800 fps
    Leading can be reduced by using harder lead, "hard cast".
    Also, anything above 1600 fps in a rifle should use a gas check bullet.

Mike Venturino, well known gun writer, has done articles on shooting lead bullets out of his Springfield Model 1903, and other old rifles. He says gas checks are mandatory in those applications.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Leading can be reduced by using harder lead, "hard cast".
    Also, anything above 1600 fps in a rifle should use a gas check bullet.

Mike Venturino, well known gun writer, has done articles on shooting lead bullets out of his Springfield Model 1903, and other old rifles. He says gas checks are mandatory in those applications.
    I do a lot of traditional ML BP rifles. Hard to get a slug up to 1800fps, lubed felt wads do cut down on leading, PRBs the patch takes care of that but a wad will help on burning through the patch. Can also use a paper patch with bullets, a good 45 cal will shoot 1000 yds with those from a Gibbs or Whitworth. Check out NMLRA and the Friendship matches.

It's too bad cheap lead is not around for casting now. Used to be able to use wheel weights, they had some tin and were harder. For PRB you want pure lead to engage the rifling. Roofing flashing or plumbing pipes were a source for that..

5 shots from a 0.50 Hawken with opens 50 yds, at 100 yds it's about zero, and goes through a deer. That is with old eyes

What .357 magnum rounds for bear.-50cal50yds5shts.jpg
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-12-2020 at 11:14 AM.
    rice paddy daddy, KUSA and Slippy like this.

I have a .357 Tracker with 6.5 ported barrel and did quite a bit of ballistics studies. Hollow points are NOT recommended for bear as they can expand due to the heavy fur and skin before penetrating deep enough to create a sufficient wound channel. I loaded 100 magnum with 15.5 grains of 2400 and the Speer SFP which is designed for penetration then expansion. Then, I bought a .44 Ruger Magnum and loaded them with 240 grain Speer SFP and 24 grains to H110. Both are good rounds for bear.

Gosh, I'm sure I read it Cooper's corner but close friends of the Colonel always suggested using solids for game that would kill you. Break bones, forget about the flesh. They were talking the big continent but big bears here I'm sure qualify. And shoot again once they are down! Can't be too sure. The friend had a Scandinavian name, That's going to drive me crazy till I remember his name. I'm sure someone here knows who I'm referring to... I sure can't remember his name but he took a lot of dangerous game in Africa. Sorry to go off track.
    Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 01-15-2020 at 06:47 PM.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    A wise man never argues with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links