What .357 magnum rounds for bear. - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What .357 magnum rounds for bear.

This is a discussion on What .357 magnum rounds for bear. within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by Smitty901 Problem with heavy bullets is they don't penetrate Deep enough in many cases That's the crooked path we walk. If you ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: What .357 magnum rounds for bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Problem with heavy bullets is they don't penetrate Deep enough in many cases
    That's the crooked path we walk. If you put heavy bullets and a full load of gunpowder into a SW 629 you'll spring the frame sooner or later. I always wondered if SW made the cylinder as short as they did for the 29 models just to keep idiots from blowing themselves up.

I once loaded a 2.5 inch 629 with full-house loads, and I only did it once...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    That's the crooked path we walk. If you put heavy bullets and a full load of gunpowder into a SW 629 you'll spring the frame sooner or later. I always wondered if SW made the cylinder as short as they did for the 29 models just to keep idiots from blowing themselves up.

I use a M29 to hunt woodchucks, flipping them at 75yds is fun with a 240gr Rem loads. That is great practice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post

It is hard to duplicate a full on 44mag 240gr rem load , handloading. My M29 8 3/4" takes those fine. You hand load at all?

Mine is pre-Dirty Harry
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-11-2020 at 02:28 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have a pre 2005 Ruger 45 Colt. It can be load to crazy levels .Listed in the load books as Ruger only loads. It is a beast . I have seen what a 357 will punch deep into with good rounds even at longer range and still would not feel out gunned by others.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...ts-by-caliber/

Pretty interesting article when it comes to bear defensive shoots. Seems like a 9mm or a .40 with proper ammo and shot placement does the job.

The most common round was .44 magnum.
    KUSA likes this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

I have a pre 2005 Ruger 45 Colt. It can be load to crazy levels .Listed in the load books as Ruger only loads. It is a beast . I have seen what a 357 will punch deep into with good rounds even at longer range and still would not feel out gunned by others.
    I don't see it doing more fps with a 225gr than a 44mag with a 240gr. In fact the 44mag is better.

Ruger only loads? Is that like shooting it out a TC contender? We can go there with a 44mag too.....

Regardless, a 357 won't match up, but it's a good round.

Sorry don't want to get into a pissing match. Peace be with you.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-11-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    I don't see it doing more fps with a 225gr than a 44mag with a 240gr. In fact the 44mag is better.

Ruger only loads? Is that like shooting it of a TC contender?
    No the earlier ones Ruger made were many times stronger that the post 2005 that followed the black hawk design.
    Mad Trapper likes this.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

No the earlier ones Ruger made were many times stronger that the post 2005 that followed the black hawk design.
    Well I guess I learned something. What was a safe load 240gr? Fps?

I don't have my hornady , sierra, and nosler manuals handy.

Maybe like loading a 06 or 308 for a service rifle (correct powder/bullets)
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-11-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Well I guess I learned something. What was a safe load 240gr? Fps?

I don't have my hornady , sierra, and nosler manuals handy.

Maybe like loading a 06 or 308 for a service rifle (correct powder/bullets)
    Heck I do not remember have no looked in a long time I have had that Vaquero a long time

158 gr hard cast semi wadcutter loaded over a proper dose of 2400, sharp edges cut well, penetrate deep
    Slippy likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links