Reasonable reloads for civilian CCW?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Reasonable reloads for civilian CCW? within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I'm not in law enforcement, just a guy who goes to the mall. I carry a five shot SW J-frame in a thumb-break right kidney ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Reasonable reloads for civilian CCW?

I'm not in law enforcement, just a guy who goes to the mall. I carry a five shot SW J-frame in a thumb-break right kidney holster. I have a five shot HKS reload in my jacket pocket.

My intent is to grab my wife, find an exit and be out of the line of fire without discharging a single shot.

I do have a reliable P238, but I'm not sure if a Rambozo guise is what I want. Am I properly outfitted for daylight shoppers?
    rice paddy daddy and RedLion like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

The Good Cop

That is one of my standard carries - snubnose in my front pocket (357 mag or 44 Special) with one HKS speed loader in my other front pocket.
    My third option, which I am utilizing more and more, is a Ruger LCP2 .380 auto as a pocket carry. Although, the horsepower of the 357 magnum is a comforting feeling. Besides, with the 357, if you're close enough you can set the bad guy on fire with the muzzle blast. (That's a joke, folks)

Statistics of gunfights show you probably won't even reload.

As far as an active shooter scenario, you have that absolutely correct. Escape, evade, shoot only as a last resort to defend yourself and your wife/kids.
    Let the keyboard commandos play Rambo.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Oh, I'm all for "escape and evade." One of my weaknesses is that in a mall situation you cannot reliably pinpoint just where the shots came from. For example, during the last banger incident (he pulled his own firearm and shot himself in the thigh) about 200 screaming girls ran out the front main entrance of the mall. They did not know what they might be running into, they just ran.

I let every single person in the food court exit before I moved at all. My wife did the same thing at Barnes & Nobles which was directly across from me.

Unless the shooter can be seen--or has eyes on you--there is no need to run willy-nilly anywhere. Relax, take a breath, pat yourself down to make sure your CCW is snapped securely and you know which pocket your reload is in. If things are that bad, you have to make calm decisions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Yeah you'll be OK. One fire ball out of that J-frame with a 357 and everybody will run.

Keep a S&W M&P 360 with extended crimson trace laser grips in my coat pocket. Figure the little red dot might help deter the need to shoot. If not all the better for a quick shot in a less then perfect situation. That little extension is just enough for full grip with my big paws.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reasonable reloads for civilian CCW?-dsc02418.jpg  

Last edited by Chipper; 10-09-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    KUSA, Prepared One and RedLion like this.

My snub is a SW 642. I fire Hornady .38 SPL 110 grain FTX ammunition. I'm hoping this round does indeed penetrate +/-10 inches and stops. Most of my likely confrontations would happen among a lot of innocent people, and I do not want perforation.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    My snub is a SW 642. I fire Hornady .38 SPL 110 grain FTX ammunition. I'm hoping this round does indeed penetrate +/-10 inches and stops. Most of my likely confrontations would happen among a lot of innocent people, and I do not want perforation.
    Just one more good reason to not try to play cop and "take out" a shooter.
    If you miss, and that chance is very good, and hit a bystander, you may not be charged by police, but you damn sure will be sued. And lose everything you have or ever will have.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    That is one of my standard carries - snubnose in my front pocket (357 mag or 44 Special) with one HKS speed loader in my other front pocket.
    44 Special is a very underrated round. I am a huge fan. I was excited to see Ruger chamber a version of their GP100 in it recently.
    Slippy and rice paddy daddy like this.
    Romans 10:9 KJV
    That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by NewRiverGeorge View Post
    44 Special is a very underrated round. I am a huge fan. I was excited to see Ruger chamber a version of their GP100 in it recently.
    Timely post, yesterday and today I've carried my Ruger GP 100 .357 mag in shoulder holster. I never felt under-gunned.

Thanks George, I've got to check out the GP 100 in .44SP
    Last edited by Slippy; 10-09-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by NewRiverGeorge View Post
    For many years I have lusted for an early 1950’s S&W Target Model 44 Special.
    This is before S&W assigned model numbers.
    They were built on the large N frame, had adjustable sights and most often a 4” barrel.
    One of THE BEST revolvers ever made.

I’ve also thought about sending my 1959 Ruger 357 Blackhawk Flat Top off for conversion to 44 Special.
    But then, why ruin a collectible when I can simply load Specials in my Super Blackhawk.
    Although, laying the Flat Top next to the Super is like parking a Corvette next to a Mack dump truck.
    NewRiverGeorge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    38 was putting men down a long time. You are not under gunned with a 38.
    Most often I carry my LC9S no spare mags . If I need to carry more ,maybe I need to think about where I am hanging out.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links