Reasonable reloads for civilian CCW? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Reasonable reloads for civilian CCW?

This is a discussion on Reasonable reloads for civilian CCW? within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by Smitty901 With one in chamber I have 8 shots. If wife is with me that adds her 38 to the mix. Even ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Reasonable reloads for civilian CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    With one in chamber I have 8 shots. If wife is with me that adds her 38 to the mix. Even for a combat soldier there is a limit on what you can have on hand. Made up my mind I was not going to be the guy with a primary a back up and spear mags for both.
    I have a 45 double stack, dam thing is heavy loaded. No go for CC in my case.
    For CC to work it has to be easy , if not over time the weapon starts staying home or in the car. I see that often.
    I cannot for the life of me recall the article where I read it, . . . but he was an American in Israel, . . . always carried 2 1911's, . . . both in cross draw holsters, . . . and 8 or 10 mags.

The article showed a picture of him from the backside, . . . he was wall to wall 1911's and mags.

Tough act to follow for sure.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    RedLion and Smitty901 like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    the Black Talon are pre-engraved hollow points
    Back in the day I was a great adherent to "Black Felon" ammunition. The place I bought them from locally has closed. However, I'm always the guy who bought lots and stashed them for the Apocalypse.

I have several magazines for my CCW pistols. I think I'm going to load one with Black Talons. Thanks for the response.--Chico (The Tourist)
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

I switch what I carry depending on where I am going. Just going to a local store or a quick run out, then I usually carry my Taurus 605 .357 with two reloads. If I am going to be a greater distance from home and away longer I would likely take my .40 Shield with two extra mags. Colder weather means that I will also start carrying my Glock 17 or my CZ75B in outside the wasteband holsters with two spar mags. I always have at least another firearm in my vehicle as well.
    I like Gold Dot and Hornady ammo.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    They quit making them 26 years ago. It’s too bad, they were incredible.
    I know, I still got plenty put away, bought cases of them while on the PD, right after the masses started yelling "cop killer bullets".

I guess today that phrase would not exist.

I was able to get them through the PD after sales were blocked to civilians, and before an outright ban, yes I saw the writing on the wall.

Winchester Silver Tip are basically the same round minus the Teflon coating.
    RedLion likes this.

I must add that my wife's favored handgun and load is from a .44 SPL Charter Arms Bulldog. Yes (*sigh*) it's also nickel plated as were many of these revolvers 'back in the day.'

I cannot shoot this revolver to save my soul. I watched my wife sit down on the ground, casually cock the Bulldog, and drill a five-shot cloverleaf dead-center of the target.

Remember, my wife is a suburban girl who became a teacher. The first time she ever saw or rode with a biker it was with me. She's your typical upper-crust boomer.

The wrinkle is she kills like a mafia hitter...

These are my legal personal carry firearms.

The automatic is a P238 .380 ACP, and the revolver is a SW 642 .38 SPL.

I do have a 3-inch Kimber .45 ACP 1911 which is now relinquished as a "bedroom gun."

As an old fudd, I'm growing more and more careful about what I carry rather than why I carry. As a younger man working in credit and hung with the job of carrying cash to the bank, I carried a Detonics .45 ACP on the job. My boss of that era felt more comfortable with a firearm in his office(s). We used to get lots of angry customers, but that's a story for a different day.

If you're looking for an EDC carry, I'd recommend the revolver first. I trust the automatic only since I've fired 800 rounds with all fed, fired and ejected. Autos can be a break-in problem.

Reasonable reloads for civilian CCW?-dsc02887.jpg
    RedLion likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    These are my legal personal carry firearms.
    So you are only allowed to carry certain handguns? Do you have to register them with your CWW or something?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    So you are only allowed to carry certain handguns? Do you have to register them with your CWW or something?
    No, I can carry what I want. Like I said, I started out with a Detonics. Then I transitioned over to a .45 ACP Officers ACP, a small stainless Colt.

But I got older, read Tactical magazines and learned about penetration. Yeah, it's romantic to watch "Dirty Harry" movies, but it's not fun to perforate a felon only to have your .44 Magnum slug ricochet around a kill an innocent kid.

Remember, you are responsible for every round you fire.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    I must add that my wife's favored handgun and load is from a .44 SPL Charter Arms Bulldog. Yes (*sigh*) it's also nickel plated as were many of these revolvers 'back in the day.'

I cannot shoot this revolver to save my soul. I watched my wife sit down on the ground, casually cock the Bulldog, and drill a five-shot cloverleaf dead-center of the target.

One of my pocket caries is a Charter Arms Bulldog. The versions made in the last 15 or more years are stainless steel. As an old soldier, I refuse to have stainless steel anything, in case I have to hide in some bushes or something I don't want a shiny object to give away my position.
    So mine has the black finish (it's very durable, I've been carrying it over 10 years and the finish is not worn). I also got the DAO option - there is no hammer spur to snag your pocket on the draw. 2 & 1/2" barrel.
    I usually carry Winchester Silver Tip JHP's in it.

I like it enough I bought the wife a Charter Arms 38 Special snub done the same way. Black finish, DAO.
    Since she got her Sig 365 9MM the Charter has been downgraded to farm carry.

Since I can't afford a S&W Target Model 44 Special, even if I could find one, I'm saving my pennies for the Bulldog Target Model. This is a 5 shot with 4" barrel and adjustable sights. MSRP is a little over $400.
    hawgrider, SOCOM42 and RedLion like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    One of my pocket caries is a Charter Arms Bulldog. The versions made in the last 15 or more years are stainless steel. As an old soldier, I refuse to have stainless steel anything, in case I have to hide in some bushes or something I don't want a shiny object to give away my position.
    So mine has the black finish (it's very durable, I've been carrying it over 10 years and the finish is not worn). I also got the DAO option - there is no hammer spur to snag your pocket on the draw. 2 & 1/2" barrel.
    I usually carry Winchester Silver Tip JHP's in it.

I like it enough I bought the wife a Charter Arms 38 Special snub done the same way. Black finish, DAO.
    Since she got her Sig 365 9MM the Charter has been downgraded to farm carry.

Since I can't afford a S&W Target Model 44 Special, even if I could find one, I'm saving my pennies for the Bulldog Target Model. This is a 5 shot with 4" barrel and adjustable sights. MSRP is a little over $400.

We all have different preferences.

My S&W 3913 is DAO on the first round,

I choose stainless steel guns because of the humidity present where I live, next to a lake and river.

In an older post I mentioned about SIG magazines rusting while looking at them.

I had to Parkerize them to slow the oxidation down, converted S&W 659 stainless steel mags to carry for the SIG.

I have to oil carbon steel guns here Bi weekly during the summer to prevent rust.

If I get a chance I will post some pic's of my EDC handguns.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 10-10-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links