Reasonable reloads for civilian CCW? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Reasonable reloads for civilian CCW?

This is a discussion on Reasonable reloads for civilian CCW? within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by Smitty901 38 was putting men down a long time. You are not under gunned with a 38. Most often I carry my ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Reasonable reloads for civilian CCW?

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    38 was putting men down a long time. You are not under gunned with a 38.
    Most often I carry my LC9S no spare mags . If I need to carry more ,maybe I need to think about where I am hanging out.
    As long as you don’t use lead round nose in the 38. They just stretch the tissue without leaving a wound channel.
    Most ammo companies offer good defensive rounds for the old 38, hollow points that open up at 38 velocities.
    Or, the old 148 grain full wad cutter makes a nice size hole.
    Smitty901 likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    For many years I have lusted for an early 1950’s S&W Target Model 44 Special.
    Yousa! That was the hay-day of my reloading and firearm collecting hobbies. I had a Bren Ten, I had a nickel plated 29, and I got one of the 624 N-frames in .44 SPL.

Have to be honest. I liked the 624 the best. Even with .44 SPL cast-bullet handloads, the revolver fired true and flat. You could cut cloverleves if you took your time.

...sorry I sold it...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

I to carry a 642 with C/T laser grips, it is either in my coat pocket or back pocket, HKS speed loader is in the opposite coat pocket.

If I have to use one again, that would be the first one into action, even through the coat if needed.

Technically the 642 is my backup, it is loaded with CoreBon 125 grain JHP +P rounds.

Primary is one of several, S&W 3913, SIG 228, Colt Commander or a full size S&W 1911 in SS.

On rare occasions I will carry either a Glock 17 or 23 with me.

Use to carry either a 4" S&W Mod 66 or a S&W 639 all the time, these were also duty weapons..

On occasions I have carried my 4 inch 629 with 3 speed loaders.

The 44 Mag and 357 mags are loaded with Black Talon.

Still carry two spare mags for whatever self stuffer I am carrying.
    RedLion likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

@SOCOM42, as I said, my biggest problem is not the brain-dead banger before my eyes, but it's an unplanned perforation.

I also have some .38 SPL rounds with a huge, cavernous hollowpoint.

Having said that, I also have my "Sicilian Express Card" which with I'm more familiar. Now that might seem foolhardy, but most confrontations are within arms' reach. It also depends on what kind of device makes the attacker unhinged.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    38 was putting men down a long time. You are not under gunned with a 38.
    Most often I carry my LC9S no spare mags . If I need to carry more ,maybe I need to think about where I am hanging out.
    I think about where I'm hanging out, . . . then remember that I have to hang out there, . . . it's my church, . . . my leather shop, . . . my LGS, . . . etc.

Bad guys come around good places sometimes, . . .

I'm finally going back to .45ACP, . . . hopefully for the last time. I tried .380, . . . 9mm, . . . and 38 spec, . . . just cannot get the hang of the thing that makes it go bang.

Found what looks like a really nice Springer RO, . . . just won the bid on Gunbroker, . . . will be putting this M&P 9C up on the for sale block as soon as I check out the RO, . . . but I'm thinking I'll be happy with it.

My first handgun was a 1911 probably made before I was born, . . . fell in love with them then, . . . especially the 8 rd reload in the front pocket, . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    SOCOM42 likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    I think about where I'm hanging out, . . . then remember that I have to hang out there, . . . it's my church, . . . my leather shop, . . . my LGS, . . . etc.

Bad guys come around good places sometimes, . . .

I'm finally going back to .45ACP, . . . hopefully for the last time. I tried .380, . . . 9mm, . . . and 38 spec, . . . just cannot get the hang of the thing that makes it go bang.

Found what looks like a really nice Springer RO, . . . just won the bid on Gunbroker, . . . will be putting this M&P 9C up on the for sale block as soon as I check out the RO, . . . but I'm thinking I'll be happy with it.

My first handgun was a 1911 probably made before I was born, . . . fell in love with them then, . . . especially the 8 rd reload in the front pocket, . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    With one in chamber I have 8 shots. If wife is with me that adds her 38 to the mix. Even for a combat soldier there is a limit on what you can have on hand. Made up my mind I was not going to be the guy with a primary a back up and spear mags for both.
    I have a 45 double stack, dam thing is heavy loaded. No go for CC in my case.
    For CC to work it has to be easy , if not over time the weapon starts staying home or in the car. I see that often.
    dwight55 and Prepared One like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

@Smitty901 , the Wilson Combat, mags hold 8 rounds so that gives you 9 total.

Those SS Wilson/Rodgers mags are what I carry, in my personal and professional opinion, they are the best available mags on the market.

After being a police officer for 20 years, 7 as a detective and 10 as detective sergeant,

I have a lot of perps who would like to get even for their jail or prison time.

It is easy to find out where I live in this town, none have tried yet.

This is the primary reason why i carry so heavy, not for just the low percentage random heist artist threat.

My outside activities are limited to shopping trips and doctor appointments for both of us, so I am not a pack mule for very far on foot.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    @SOCOM42, as I said, my biggest problem is not the brain-dead banger before my eyes, but it's an unplanned perforation.

I also have some .38 SPL rounds with a huge, cavernous hollowpoint.

Having said that, I also have my "Sicilian Express Card" which with I'm more familiar. Now that might seem foolhardy, but most confrontations are within arms' reach. It also depends on what kind of device makes the attacker unhinged.

All the rounds I mentioned are of low over penetration types.

Its the misses that are the problem.

The CoreBon Are massive expanders, the Black Talon are pre-engraved hollow points that expand into equal petals for maximum tissue damage.

Speer Gold Dot are HP's and are what I use in the 45's except the subguns.

If I have to use a rifle it will be with AP, the hell with over penetration, it is what I want anyways.
    RedLion likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    the Black Talon are pre-engraved hollow points that expand into equal petals for maximum tissue damage.
    They quit making them 26 years ago. It’s too bad, they were incredible.

In the summer I carry the XDs 45 with a 5 round mag and a 7 round mag as a back up. I keep another spare mag in the vehicle. In the winter I carry my Kimber Pro Carry in 45 with an 8 round mag and a 10 round mag as a back up. I also keep a spare mag in the vehicle.

My plan is to get the family to safety and avoid a gun battle. Once they are safe, then I will return to try and help get people to safety. Hopefully not drawing my weapon so I don't get accidentally shot by a LEO or another citizen trying to help.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Slippy likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links