Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Most firepower in side arm.

8K views 67 replies 17 participants last post by  NotTooProudToHide 
#1 ·
A gun is only good if you have it on you at all times. While in a shtf situation your ar or ak or whatever is preferable. But what if your hands are full if you got slipped up on or you need something concealable. I know a sig rattler in 300 blk is probably technically it.

But is there anything in a hand gun form thats more of a equalizer than the glock 40 mos with red dot. I can put rounds on a man size target with mine at close to 200 yards it’s pretty amazing. When i think about it.

Ive killed a doe at 59yds a hog from a tree stand. And although close don’t count. At 130yds i hit so close to a coyote the dirt blew up all over the dog and it jumped and yelped.

Oh and I’ve shot probably as much 40 s&w out of mine as 10mm without barrel change or a hiccup. So its a dual caliber gun without a doubt

#62 ·
I picked both the carbine and the cartridge (the 38/55) for personal reasons.

Yes, I would start off with five shots, not a limiting factor. With any break in the action I can shove two or three rounds into the gate. To my pursuers, it's like the lever action never runs out of spit.

As for the cartridge, I believe the 38/55 is a little bit of everything. It hits a little harder, but you can carry just as many rounds as any smaller bottleneck round.

My opinion is that I will never get to pick what's chasing me. The carbine is always there, and the 38/55 round has enough terminal impact (allowing for shot placement) to slow up a wide variety of wild life. Granted, it's a compromise. But a carbine is handy, always there, and some rounds are better than others.

#65 ·
Do not think because I do not like AR pistols that I and against your right to have one. Put one of these bad boys in one. by the way RedLion I am not 100% sold on that round yet more testing need to rule on it.

Attachments

Reactions: RedLion
#68 ·
I don't live in grizzly country so honestly any of the 3 "big" semi calibers (9, 40, 45) with proper ammo are all the handgun I could possibly need although I am starting to fall in love with .357 mag.

As far as the rifle debate goes I'm a believer in the AR-15 platform and the 5.56 Nato. Paul Herrell's video on XM193 vs M855 shows how nasty that 55 grain bullet is when it hits meat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.