1911 advice
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

1911 advice

This is a discussion on 1911 advice within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Do we have any 1911 experts on this forum? I need a little technical advice on an old, worn out government model 1911....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 1911 advice

1911 advice

Do we have any 1911 experts on this forum? I need a little technical advice on an old, worn out government model 1911.

What's up, Chiefster, . . .

Got an acquaintance used to gunsmith for Wilson firearms, . . .

Get me the questions, . . . I'll send em to him, . . . see what he says.

Oh, . . . and he is good, . . . he's worked his magic a couple of times for me.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    bigwheel likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Not an expert, but have been owning and shooting 1911’s for almost 50 years.
    What is your problem?
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I'm in the same boat. I own a Kimber .45 ACP 1911, and SIG P238, both in the genre you are inquiring about. I have been using such pistols since the mid 1970s.

I can take them down, clean them, check for wear and routine maintenance like that. But for all I know, little elves make the things work. Sorry.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

I have been asked to help with possibly repairing a well worn government issued 1911. Probably from WW2 era.
    The gun shoots and operates normally now but the game plan is to possibly restore this pistol to good condition and to be completely reliable again. The gun is very loose and rattles when shaken. But I understand this is normal. The gun has wear. There are shallow groves worn into the frame from the recoil spring operation. There are scratches and maybe tiny cracks in the forward part of the slide where the recoil spring and guide rod reside. Are cracks in this area normal? I think this area should be dye checked.

I don’t see any loose pins or broken parts anywhere. If the wear groves are acceptable and no cracks found, the game plan is to maybe do the following;
    Replace the barrel, linkage and bushing. Can we do this with drop in parts?
    Replace all springs
    Replace the firing pin and extractor/ejector parts

Anybody have any suggestions as to problem areas? How about suggestions as to what to replace? The aim is not to produce a match shooting gun but to achieve a reliable firearm.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    The gun is very loose and rattles when shaken. But I understand this is normal.
    Well, every 1911 that was sent to war rattles--the rumor has it that Colt made them that way (for soldiers) so that mud and lack of a regular cleaning would still not tie up the pistol.

I had Colts for almost thirty years, but then switched to Kimbers. I was looking for a defensive piece, not a target pistol. Kimbers are crafted, not made. And some Kimbers come complete with a Crimson Trace laser targeting system. Mine has a laser, and the pistol shoots to that point.

Mine in dead-nuts reliable and will not create a stoppage with any bullet profile--hardball or hollowpoint.

The Good Cop

All the parts you mentioned are drop in. I would suggest you try Brownells, they stock page after page of 1911 parts.
    You want original equipment parts, not fancy “accuracy “ parts.
    On the springs, I would only consider Wolfe, I believe they have a package deal, stick with original recoil spring weight, if I remember correctly it is 18 pounds. Brownells will have these also.
    Of everything you mentioned, the only part I ever had to adjust was the extractor. Sometimes they don’t grip the rim tight enough, and require a
    SLIGHT bending. Almost imperceptible.
    Denton and Chiefster23 like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Thanks, RPD. I had the 1911 in my hand and completely forgot about the extractor! Missed it by this much...

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback!

Just remember that high quality drop in parts sometimes are not quite drop in. Anything made to tighten up the pistol stands a chance of tightening it up too much, usually nothing a little filing or fine sandpaper can't fix quickly. You might look into Robar NP3 coating for reliability and it should tighten up the slide a small bit. I would definitely check for any cracks, a good machine shop should be able to magna-flux the slide for you.
    Chiefster23 likes this.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links