Picked up a new blaster last weekend to replace another
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Picked up a new blaster last weekend to replace another within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Let's get the "replace" out of the way, cuz it's a bit strange and should be a small warning to others... Mother's day 2019, I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Picked up a new blaster last weekend to replace another

Let's get the "replace" out of the way, cuz it's a bit strange and should be a small warning to others...
    Mother's day 2019, I am serving on our church's security team, and make the stupid decision to carry off body.
    In the confusion of finalizing gift cards and lunch plans after church, I leave my carry case on the edge of the bed of my truck in the parking lot. Yes... you know where this is going. I pull out onto the main road, oblivious to this fact, make a u-turn, and off it goes into the street. We make it all the way to the restaurant and I have that moment of dreadful realization. I've lost a loaded gun.
    Panic. Pure panic. Every light returning upon my path was red, sweat dripping from every pore, scanning the roadway for a small black case, and seeing nothing. I get back to the church lot, see nothing, go inside to see if anyone is still around that it might have been turned into, nothing...
    20 minutes have gone by and I finally make the decision to call the local PD and report this. (I have a moment of hesitation when I remember that this particular gun was not purchase through an FFL, and has no paper trail to me, but I call anyways because I could never live with myself knowing my inaction could lead to innocent harm.)
    By God's good graces, the operator informs me that a citizen recovered the case, found the firearm, and immediately called the police. The citizen was a carrier as well, so knew how to handle the firearm.
    The responding officers are actually in the parking lot of a business across the street from the church, and I'm asked to go meet them. When I arrive, they have the firearm unloaded and spread out, and they are both on their radios. I introduce myself, presenting my license to carry when asked, and I'm visibly shaken at this point. The officers inform me that they are running a verification check, but that the original results of running the S/N of the gun (common practice by police when a random gun pops up in society) is that the firearm was reported stolen back in 2011. My ears don't feel like they are working properly when I hear this, and I ask again. They eventually get confirmation, reported stolen out of a residence in a Dallas suburb 2 years before it ever comes into my possession. I purchased it at a gun show from a vendor table who I knew at the time was NOT an FFL, but was making a private sale. (perfectly legal in Texas)
    So, the officers must confiscate "my" firearm. They both make an overt statement about how they hate disarming citizens. They return all ammunition and have me fill out an incident report and a restitution form. Thus far, I've not heard of any progress on finding the original owner, but they have arranged to return the components I swapped out. I will be meeting with the case detective this week to get those back. I will ask for an update at that time. If the owner cannot be found, the gun comes back to me.

I say all that to say this...

I GOT A NEW GUN!

The gun I lost was a Glock 19. The gun I bought is a Glock 43x!
    Picked up a new blaster last weekend to replace another-glock-43x-gns-3.jpg

At first, I could not understand the appeal of the 43x. 10 rounds in a gun approximately the size of the 19(15rnds)? No thank you.
    I started carrying my Shield, but it was only 8+1 with the extended magazine. This did not feel adequate when I came from a 15+1 carry pistol. Then I found something, and quietly became giddy. An aftermarket company has announced that they will be releasing a 15 round flush fit magazine that will fit perfectly into the 43x. It's supposed to be out in the next month or so for $40. Ladies and gents, a 15rnd, skinnier G19 is a game changer.
    Holding this gun, it feels more fuller in the hand than my Shield, but is only marginally wider. It just feels good in the hand. It conceals better than the 19, and I got it from an FFL at the most recent gun show for $15 cheaper than all local stores, and that's WITH Glock Night Sights installed($50-$100 value). All others at local stores are stock sights.
    The closest I can find to my price is here: https://dkfirearms.com/product/glock...-night-sights/

Range report yet to come, but so far I'm quite happy with my new primary carry pistol.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Super Moderator

I hesitated liking this post. I think you know why.

Glad alls well that ended well and glad you got a new firearm. Let us know how she shoots.

I have a 17 that I conceal carry in the winter but have shot the others. There are a lot of Glock haters out there but I enjoy shooting mine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RedLion likes this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I hesitated liking this post. I think you know why.
    Suffice it to say, I have made an oath to myself to never carry off body again. Along with the ease of disarming and cumbersome efforts to draw from, leaving it behind is absolutely unacceptable to me, and will never be done again. Period.
    As for the purchasing, I don't see myself buying from private sellers anymore.
    Getting burned once, and not suffering is a rare occurrence, and I dare not chance it again.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

I always make it a point to buy from a FFL dealer. Just for the stolen gun deal
    Although, I have made private purchases in the past, but I ran the serial numbers thru the Florida Department of Law Enforcement website to see if they had ever been reported stolen.
    Denton and RedLion like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

I have a buddy that had his house broken into over 10 years ago. They took his shotty and a 9mm. He pretty much wrote it off. Then he gets a call from the PD a few months ago saying they have recovered his 9mm and he can come pick it up. He told them to keep it. Was too afraid of where it's been and what it may have been used for.

When he told me the story I kicked him in the ass and told him I would've taken it off his hands.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Slippy, Denton, Kauboy and 1 others like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

If you have a private sale firearm it’s best to keep it for SHTF or to avoid confiscation and stay armed As opposed to daily carry. For that I believe it wise to have a firearm via an ffl.

How about a range report @Kauboy ?
    Prepared One likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

You made a great point in when you buy from a non FFL you have no idea what you are getting into . You got lucky. You had a stolen gun and really no way to prove how you acquired it. Guilty until proven other wise in most cases.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Glad it turned out well for you @Kauboy

If it is legal in your State to purchase or sell a firearm in a Private Party transaction, (Non-FFL) get a Bill of Sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Glad it turned out well for you @Kauboy

If it is legal in your State to purchase or sell a firearm in a Private Party transaction, (Non-FFL) get a Bill of Sale.
    Hmm …. sounds like good advice on obtaining your hide/bury unregistered firearm and covering your butt, in a time of need. Attaboy Slip!
    Prepared One likes this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

All's well that ends well. Glad it worked out. Damned lucky an honest gun owner (Who'd a thunk it?) found it.
    A Watchman and Kauboy like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links