Joined the Revolver Club Today - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Joined the Revolver Club Today

This is a discussion on Joined the Revolver Club Today within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by MisterMills357 Me personally, I would have taken the offer, it is an acceptable combat gun. And now-a-days, that is about all I ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Joined the Revolver Club Today

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMills357 View Post
    Me personally, I would have taken the offer, it is an acceptable combat gun. And now-a-days, that is about all I ask for.
    I agree. I have both a SW 642 (.38 only) and an SW 360PD (in which I only shoot .38s). I also bought an Urban Carry holster for them in case I really have to go 'low profile.'
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMills357 View Post
    Me personally, I would have taken the offer, it is an acceptable combat gun. And now-a-days, that is about all I ask for.
    That's the mindset I had when I made my purchase. The reviews where good both on the website and from what I could find on the internet. I want a tool, not a fairy princess that stays locked up in the gun cabinet for fear of putting a scratch on it.
    MisterMills357 and Slippy like this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    If you stick with ammo loaded to standard pressure you will be OK. You won't have to worry about damaging your pistol, or yourself.
    Buffalo Bore, and others like that are great for hunting, but overkill for defensive use against humans or small/medium animals. And might be too much for a Windicator (just a guess).
    Remember - the .357 S&W Magnum was the most powerful handgun cartridge from its introduction in 1935 until the .44 S&W Magnum arrived in 1956.

Besides my two DA Taurus's, in .357 I also have an old Ruger Flat Top (1959) and a Uberti Cattleman (Colt clone). Those are my woods walking guns.
    That Ruger will handle a lot of pressure, but I still stick to standard loads.

I prefer 158 grain loads, like the Blazer referenced. In fact I have several boxes of that very same fodder.
    The ultimate in stopping power is Remington Green Box 125 JSP. These are full house loads, advertised MV of 1450 FPS.
    Several companies have 125 grain projectiles, but often they are downloaded to 1200 -1300 FPS. Remington Golden Saber is one.

Where we live, ammo selection is limited to the Ace Hardware in town. Walmart is 45 minutes one way.
    But, they know what their customers like, and stock accordingly.

I would recommend you go to the websites of the major ammo manufacturers. They all post ballistics for their products. I would recommend going for high muzzle velocity in serious ammo. After all, you have a real cartridge, if you wanted mediocrity you'd be shooting a 9MM.
    It's going to be fun figuring all this stuff out. All my instruction has been on the semi auto platform usually in either 9mm or .40 cal.

I don't plan on using it as a primary hunting weapon but should I decide to hit the trails in black bear country I'd feel better knowing it was on my right hip rather than my 9 or 40. I know the odds of hitting the lottery are almost better than getting into a defensive shoot of any kind but I know my usual crap luck, not to mention it was an excuse to buy a new gun
    Last edited by NotTooProudToHide; 01-12-2019 at 07:15 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Not to jack the thread or be critical, but someone mentioned a .38 revolver as being an acceptable combat hand gun. Is it? A carry gun, absolutely. I carry a Taurus 605 .357 on occasion. I do not know if I would qualify a .38 or even a .357 revolver as a combat hand gun though? Thoughts?

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    Not to jack the thread or be critical, but someone mentioned a .38 revolver as being an acceptable combat hand gun. Is it? A carry gun, absolutely. I carry a Taurus 605 .357 on occasion. I do not know if I would qualify a .38 or even a .357 revolver as a combat hand gun though? Thoughts?
    The .38 Special was a combat handgun for civilian authorities for many decades.
    In fact, the S&W Model 15, before Model numbers were used, was named the K-38 Combat Masterpiece. Loaded with what is called “the FBI load” (+P 158 grain lead semi wadcutter hollow point) it is still a formidable weapon.

The .357 Magnum is one of the best fight stopping calibers ever invented.

As far as a “combat” weapon in a military setting, a handgun is a last ditch affair.
    RedLion and Slippy like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The .38 Special was a combat handgun for civilian authorities for many decades.
    In fact, the S&W Model 15, before Model numbers were used, was named the K-38 Combat Masterpiece. Loaded with what is called “the FBI load” (+P 158 grain lead semi wadcutter hollow point) it is still a formidable weapon.

The .357 Magnum is one of the best fight stopping calibers ever invented.

As far as a “combat” weapon in a military setting, a handgun is a last ditch affair.
    I appreciate the info. I will say that the 1911 came about for the express purpose of replacing revolvers and making a better combat handgun.

The Good Cop

Agreed on the 1911. And it is my opinion that it still remains the best fighting handgun ever made.

In my time in the service, 1911’s were issued to officers and to enlisted men whose job precluded carrying a rifle, such as M60 gunners.
    And even then, Infantry officers in combat billets carried rifles in the field in addition to their 1911’s.

Once a certain officer rank is reached, a sidearm is more of less a symbol of rank.
    George S. Patton carried a Colt Single Action Army and a S&W Registered .357 Magnum most often, but was known to sometimes carry his issued Colt Model 1903 32ACP.

There are countless instances where 1911’s were used in combat to great effect.

There is even a documented instance in WW2 where an American pilot who had bailed out took a shot at a Jap pilot who was coming at him as if to gun him in his chute, and scored a lucky hit killing the Jap.
    RedLion, MisterMills357 and Slippy like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Looks like good choices on the ammo. Didnt think about the new gun not being able with withstand some hot rounds. Those old Model 28 SWs we carried could handle anything. A co-worker loaded everybody up with some handloads which was what he claimed to be he hottest rounds he had ever seen in print. The caution was don't shoot em regular just put six in the gun. Swear them things would shoot fire out of the barrel 3 ft. long. Would flat make a cottontail rabbit explode. After a person shot six it would take a board to beat the ejector rod to get the hulls out. The cylinder walls on those old guns was thick. Maybe thats what kept us from getting blowed up.
    The Model 28 is a stout looking gun, and it looks like it is about as strong as a Ruger. But those rounds sound like they are maximum-type, they sound stouter than a Buffalo Bore round.
    It is still being done by folks, I read a post on RugerForum.net, where guy was getting 800 ft lbs, from an SP101. I warned him about erosion, but I think it did not sink in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    I agree. I have both a SW 642 (.38 only) and an SW 360PD (in which I only shoot .38s). I also bought an Urban Carry holster for them in case I really have to go 'low profile.'
    You probably already know this, but a super-light snubby .357 can over-heat and bind. That is more for the news guys than anything, and that is a good reason to use .38's in a SW 642,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NotTooProudToHide View Post
    That's the mindset I had when I made my purchase. The reviews where good both on the website and from what I could find on the internet. I want a tool, not a fairy princess that stays locked up in the gun cabinet for fear of putting a scratch on it.
    That has been my modus operndi, from the start, one of my first guns was a Security Six .357 Mag. It is hard to hurt, and very durable, I will say that the new polymer .357's sound pretty tough.

Agreed on the 1911. And it is my opinion that it still remains the best fighting handgun ever made.

In my time in the service, 1911’s were issued to officers and to enlisted men whose job precluded carrying a rifle, such as M60 gunners.
    And even then, Infantry officers in combat billets carried rifles in the field in addition to their 1911’s.

Once a certain officer rank is reached, a sidearm is more of less a symbol of rank.
    George S. Patton carried a Colt Single Action Army and a S&W Registered .357 Magnum most often, but was known to sometimes carry his issued Colt Model 1903 32ACP.

There are countless instances where 1911’s were used in combat to great effect.

There is even a documented instance in WW2 where an American pilot who had bailed out took a shot at a Jap pilot who was coming at him as if to gun him in his chute, and scored a lucky hit killing the Jap.
    The 1911 .45 is one of the great guns, and that gets lost in the babble sometimes, and the 1911 has more makers now than ever before. And it can handle a lot of powerful ammo, or shoot 230 FMJ, it is very flexible. I have caught flack for saying the Auto Ordnance .45 would make a good house gun, people pop off and don't know what they are talking about.
    And I just watched Patton again, and the boy would have his .357 in a holster and a his .32 tucked into his belt. I like that guy.

It is proving very difficult to improve upon the .45 and the .357, that says a lot about the guns.
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 01-13-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    Slippy and rice paddy daddy like this.
    A DECLARATION OF THE RIGHTS OF THE INHABITANTS OF THE COMMONWEALTH, OR STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA:: [Pennsylvaia was a very different place then, just look at Philly today, compared to 1776 AD.]
    [And it is regrettable that their original confrontational ways, about how government should work, has been lost.]

VI. That those who are employed in the legislative and executive business of the State, may be restrained from oppression, the people have a right, at such periods as they may think proper, to reduce their public officers to a private station, and supply the vacancies by certain and regular elections.
    [Hidden Content

Been doing ammo research today. We're going full blown .357, I would have bought a .38 if I wanted to shoot .38! I think I'm going to start her out with a couple boxes of 158 grain .357 monarch from Academy. It's got some decent reviews and seems like its on the hot end without going too crazy like buffalo bore although, from what I've read Buffalo Bore is perfectly safe to use in this revolver. Can't wait to test it out!
    Slippy and rice paddy daddy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NotTooProudToHide View Post
    Been doing ammo research today. We're going full blown .357, I would have bought a .38 if I wanted to shoot .38! I think I'm going to start her out with a couple boxes of 158 grain .357 monarch from Academy. It's got some decent reviews and seems like its on the hot end without going too crazy like buffalo bore although, from what I've read Buffalo Bore is perfectly safe to use in this revolver. Can't wait to test it out!
    Post some pictures of your groups.
    A DECLARATION OF THE RIGHTS OF THE INHABITANTS OF THE COMMONWEALTH, OR STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA:: [Pennsylvaia was a very different place then, just look at Philly today, compared to 1776 AD.]
    [And it is regrettable that their original confrontational ways, about how government should work, has been lost.]

VI. That those who are employed in the legislative and executive business of the State, may be restrained from oppression, the people have a right, at such periods as they may think proper, to reduce their public officers to a private station, and supply the vacancies by certain and regular elections.
    [Hidden Content

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links