Thinking about a lever gun - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thinking about a lever gun

This is a discussion on Thinking about a lever gun within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by TexDanm I went for a Winchester 94 Trapper in 357/38 as a companion piece for my Ruger Security-6 357mag. I have really ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Thinking about a lever gun

Quote Originally Posted by TexDanm View Post
    I went for a Winchester 94 Trapper in 357/38 as a companion piece for my Ruger Security-6 357mag. I have really enjoyed it and have no regrets. I like lever actions a lot and have a Marlin in 30-30, an older hammerless Winchester 22LR, a Henery 22LR with a big loop, and a Savage 99F in 300 Savage. Actions are good to carry, plenty of power for nearly anything in Eastern North America. Where I live we don't have bears, moose, or elk so even the 357 mag is big enough for our little whitetail deer. I dropped a buck a few years ago with a 357 Blackhawk single-action revolver so I know that the carbine will do the job for brush hunting with shots no longer than 150 yards. Hornady even makes a plastic pointed 357 specifically for hunting use in a lever-action Rifle. The 30-30 has killed more deer in the US than any other round.

I like that lever-action ammo is rimmed. For survival, purposes rimmed ammo is easier to reload with the Leeloader. I have three presses but I can't see carrying one very far. A pound of Unique powder, a few hundred assorted primers, a hundred bullets for each caliber with Leeloaders and a couple of bullet molds is manageable. For its portability I like it and for loading a box of ammo it is easy.

While a lever-action is not an AK in the 7.62x39 (I'm not a fan of the 5.56) but it is a great fast action rifle that offers little in the way of problems and is as portable as an AR.
    I snagged a box of the Hornady Lever Evolutions plastic tip in .30 30. My Winni apparently dont have the metal magazine follower it takes to make the last round feed. Would cycle fine till the last round in the magazine. Might check that is anybody wants to snag some. The ballistics looks good but not a whole lot more impressive than 150 Grain Super X's and they feed without changing things up.
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-30-30-ammo/

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I snagged a box of the Hornady Lever Evolutions plastic tip in .30 30. My Winni apparently dont have the metal magazine follower it takes to make the last round feed. Would cycle fine till the last round in the magazine. Might check that is anybody wants to snag some. The ballistics looks good but not a whole lot more impressive than 150 Grain Super X's and they feed without changing things up.
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-30-30-ammo/
    They might be fine and maybe I just had bad experience but I used those in my 44mag and nearly lost a 10 point .
    At about 35 yards I shot base of neck dropped like a sack of potatoes so I continued to hunt because it was early 10 minutes later it stood up and trotted off. I stalked over to where it laid looked like a crime scene. Stalked him put another round in it at 100 yards and he kept moving then Mlodell put a 50 cal in it put him on the ground but still didn't want to die so offed him with 45acp.
    After skinning my round penetrated the hide only bruised the neck but then ran inside the hide through the shoulder the lung back out the rib cage and stopped in the hide so was kill shot sooner or later. Found the red tip in the hide between neck and shoulder so it came out before actually going in.

I call Hornady and all he said was well that shouldn't have happened...
    Since that I no longer trust the Lever evolution ammo

Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
    They might be fine and maybe I just had bad experience but I used those in my 44mag and nearly lost a 10 point .
    At about 35 yards I shot base of neck dropped like a sack of potatoes so I continued to hunt because it was early 10 minutes later it stood up and trotted off. I stalked over to where it laid looked like a crime scene. Stalked him put another round in it at 100 yards and he kept moving then Mlodell put a 50 cal in it put him on the ground but still didn't want to die so offed him with 45acp.
    After skinning my round penetrated the hide only bruised the neck but then ran inside the hide through the shoulder the lung back out the rib cage and stopped in the hide so was kill shot sooner or later. Found the red tip in the hide between neck and shoulder so it came out before actually going in.

I call Hornady and all he said was well that shouldn't have happened...
    Since that I no longer trust the Lever evolution ammo
    It is almost as if you had shot it in the chest with a 9mm...

Just funning ya!!
    RubberDuck likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

My dream rifle has always been a Savage Model 99.
    They have a rotary magazine, not a tube, and that way can handle spitzer bullets, like .308, 30-06, etc.
    When you find one they will cost more than a Winchester or Marlin, but worth every penny.
    stevekozak likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The 99 even has a round counter built in.

Great rifles but all I have ever seen were in odd calibers.

Never had to fix one, just mounted scopes for customers on them.

Have a beautiful finish on them, would hate to take them into the woods, work of art IMHO.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 08-04-2020 at 12:05 PM.

I am the third generation to own and take deer with this fine rifle and to the best of my knowledge, it has never failed to fire and hit what you aimed it at. I like the 300 savage a lot. It is a step up from a 30-30 and my reloads are very near to the 308 win. It has a solid lock up and can take more pressure than the other lever actions except maybe the Browning BLR.
    StratMaster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I got an informal appraisal on my old Winni at the LGS. The guy said any old well preserved Marlin or Win should be worth about 400 bucks. So it wont break the bank to snag one. In fact one of my pals sold a mutual chum his well preserved Marlin for three hundred about six months ago. Made me sick. He had quoted it to me for 450. What a jerk. The other guy had cash money in his pocket and was prepared to act. I was the proverbial hour late and three hundred bucks short. lol.
    Yep. I bought three Marlins, two with scopes, for around $350 each. Bought them all in parking lots back in the day when the Guv'ment didn't get in the way. Can't do that now in Oregon. Lots of things for a prepper to love about these: pick up a reliable long gun cheap. 30-30 ammo quite common. In a needed scenario, You can hand them out to neighbors / family / compadres, and not cry too hard if it didn't come back in some situation. You can even hand one to someone with little experience, and they are relatively safe and not too hard to figure out. For helping to build an emergency arsenal, they fit the budget nicely. That's what I like about shotguns too... pick them up here and there used for $200, eventually you have a good line of them.
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links