Thinking about a lever gun - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thinking about a lever gun

This is a discussion on Thinking about a lever gun within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by soyer38301 Any suggestions and/or guidance? Thinkink of a 357/38 for caliber... I'm with you on a 357/38 lever action. However, I would ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Thinking about a lever gun

Quote Originally Posted by soyer38301 View Post
    Any suggestions and/or guidance? Thinkink of a 357/38 for caliber...
    I'm with you on a 357/38 lever action. However, I would go with a 44SPL/44Mag instead. Here's my argument.

I was a bullet caster. And a .44 SPL would be even good for plinking. The .44 Rem Mag would be good for hunting.

Another thing about these cartridges is that they are "straight wall" brass. The problem with bottle neck cartridges is that not all chambers perfectly match their cartridges. I had reloads that were used for decades. Sometimes a bottleneck cartridge will crack on the shoulder on the first or second shot. Even my .223 reloads had to be checked for wear and cracks--but the stuff was so cheap I never let it stop me.

If you're married, and your avatar shows that might be an issue, a .44 SPL can make the rifle useful for your wife.
    bigwheel likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    Dammit.. I should never have followed this thread. Now I’m looking at a Marlin 3030. Carried one in the early 80’s in the mountains. Mainly in a scabbard on the horse in case of mountain lions. A friend has one and I took it to the range and remember how accurate they can be and how well I shot it.

Now I want one.. dammit...
    I got an informal appraisal on my old Winni at the LGS. The guy said any old well preserved Marlin or Win should be worth about 400 bucks. So it wont break the bank to snag one. In fact one of my pals sold a mutual chum his well preserved Marlin for three hundred about six months ago. Made me sick. He had quoted it to me for 450. What a jerk. The other guy had cash money in his pocket and was prepared to act. I was the proverbial hour late and three hundred bucks short. lol.
    StratMaster likes this.

I have a Henry 38spcl/.357 magnum, and two Browning BLR lever actions, one in .308 and the other in 30-06. I also have bolt action rifles in .308 and 30-06, but I fire rifles “right handed” while one of my sons is left handed, so one of the reasons I went with lever action rifles is so that I could leave him some hunting rifles that he could use.
    bigwheel and Slippy like this.
    Suck it up buttercup.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    I'm with you on a 357/38 lever action. However, I would go with a 44SPL/44Mag instead. Here's my argument.

I was a bullet caster. And a .44 SPL would be even good for plinking. The .44 Rem Mag would be good for hunting.

Another thing about these cartridges is that they are "straight wall" brass. The problem with bottle neck cartridges is that not all chambers perfectly match their cartridges. I had reloads that were used for decades. Sometimes a bottleneck cartridge will crack on the shoulder on the first or second shot. Even my .223 reloads had to be checked for wear and cracks--but the stuff was so cheap I never let it stop me.

If you're married, and your avatar shows that might be an issue, a .44 SPL can make the rifle useful for your wife.
    Well think the same blessing could be bestowed on the .357-.38 special combo as concerns straight walled cartridges. Super easy to reload...know dat since I got experiences..and a .357 mag still packs a wallop at a hundred yards. Storebought ammo got to be cheaper than the .44 family and less lead needed for the do it yourself bullet caster. Seem to recall Rossi got the modern trend started on the rifle pistiol interchangeablity. Dont think I ever encountered an owner of one of the guns who didnt like it.
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ction-45-colt/
    soyer38301 likes this.

I have a Marlin 336 .30-30 and I like it a lot.
    Next thing I want to do with it is mount a scout scope to round it out.
    RedLion and StratMaster like this.
    Semper ubi sub ubi

I have 4 lever guns I am pleased with.

Two Winchester Model of 1894's in 30/30, Marlin 39A and a Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag.

The two marlins have scopes on them and one Winni has a peep sight.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    I have 4 lever guns I am pleased with.

Two Winchester Model of 1894's in 30/30, Marlin 39A and a Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag.

The two marlins have scopes on them and one Winni has a peep sight.
    Great grandads deer rifle was the pre 64 model 94 30-30
    That same rifle was given to me in 1974 my first firearm deer season. I've shot a lot of deer with those buckhorn sights.
    Its my favorite rifle next to grandads 8mm BRNO
    SOCOM42 and bigwheel like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Great grandads deer rifle was the pre 64 model 94 30-30
    That same rifle was given to me in 1974 my first firearm deer season. I've shot a lot of deer with those buckhorn sights.
    Its my favorite rifle next to grandads 8mm BRNO
    My two Winnies were made in 1951, I restored both of them 13-15 years ago.

Had to rebarrel both of them, hey I only paid 10 bucks a piece for them.

Have only test fired/ targeted both, they now are safe queens.

I should add that I do not hunt, only a couple of times when a kid, never again for animals.

Do not have much ammo for them either, 1,000 rounds for both, just a drop by comparison.

Sometimes I take the slinged one for SD when in the big city area, more politically correct than an AR.

It goes with a 100 rounds of ammo, Winchester Silver tip.

With greater perceived threat I take an M-1 Carbine.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 02-03-2020 at 04:47 PM.
    Slippy likes this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    My two Winnies were made in 1951, I restored both of them 13-15 years ago.

Have only test fired/ targeted both, they now are safe queens.

I should add that I do not hunt, only a couple of times when a kid, never again for animals.

Do not have much ammo for them either, 1,000 rounds for both, just a drop by comparison.

Sometimes I take the slinged one for SD when in the big city area, more politically correct than an AR.

It goes with a 100 rounds of ammo, Winchester Silver tip.

With greater perceived threat I take an M-1 Carbine.
    I need to run the number on mine I'm pretty sure its a 1950's my guess would be mid to late 50's
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

I went for a Winchester 94 Trapper in 357/38 as a companion piece for my Ruger Security-6 357mag. I have really enjoyed it and have no regrets. I like lever actions a lot and have a Marlin in 30-30, an older hammerless Winchester 22LR, a Henery 22LR with a big loop, and a Savage 99F in 300 Savage. Actions are good to carry, plenty of power for nearly anything in Eastern North America. Where I live we don't have bears, moose, or elk so even the 357 mag is big enough for our little whitetail deer. I dropped a buck a few years ago with a 357 Blackhawk single-action revolver so I know that the carbine will do the job for brush hunting with shots no longer than 150 yards. Hornady even makes a plastic pointed 357 specifically for hunting use in a lever-action Rifle. The 30-30 has killed more deer in the US than any other round.

I like that lever-action ammo is rimmed. For survival, purposes rimmed ammo is easier to reload with the Leeloader. I have three presses but I can't see carrying one very far. A pound of Unique powder, a few hundred assorted primers, a hundred bullets for each caliber with Leeloaders and a couple of bullet molds is manageable. For its portability I like it and for loading a box of ammo it is easy.

While a lever-action is not an AK in the 7.62x39 (I'm not a fan of the 5.56) but it is a great fast action rifle that offers little in the way of problems and is as portable as an AR.
    bigwheel, RubberDuck and RedLion like this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links