Thinking about a lever gun - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thinking about a lever gun

This is a discussion on Thinking about a lever gun within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; The 44mag/spl Henry is a pleasant shooter smooth and accurate out of the box. I say you need a matching caliber wheel gun when you ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Thinking about a lever gun

The 44mag/spl Henry is a pleasant shooter smooth and accurate out of the box.
    I say you need a matching caliber wheel gun when you get a lever gun.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
    The 44mag/spl Henry is a pleasant shooter smooth and accurate out of the box.
    I say you need a matching caliber wheel gun when you get a lever gun.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Nice combo

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    ekim likes this.

I already have a 357 mag revolver so the 357 mag lever would make more sense...

Smitty901, hawgrider, ekim and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by soyer38301 View Post
    I already have a 357 mag revolver so the 357 mag lever would make more sense...

You can also shoot .38's out of it, cheap shells and perhaps the easiest round to reload on the planet. One note, if you plan on shooting both .38's and .357's out of the same carbine, you will be constantly adjusting your sights. The point of aim between the two rounds is radically different, not surprisingly.

I keep my .357 Henry set for .38's because I am cheap, but I have written down the general adjustments for .357 so if I need to switch I can get it close before firing the first sighting round.
    Check out my prepping/survival website for my podcast, down to earth reviews, advice and a bit of humor thrown in as well.

Hidden Content

I have a couple of Henry rifles in 357 mag, also have one in 41 mag and 17HMR. Got a Marlin in 35 Remington and 41 mag the lever guns are just fun to shoot if you already have a 357 revolver and don't mind used find JM Marlin 357 that way you get a pre remlin lever with a side gate load. If you don't care about the side gate load get a Henry they are tanks and worth every penny.
    It is an evil society that blames the tool for the actions of its user.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Been looking at the Marlin 1895 BL in 45-70 for a while now.

Check out the Stainless Steel Model. YOWZA!;

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever.../model-1895sbl
    Mighty handsome. Think everybody should own at least two. Way too pretty to take moose hunting. Lets try to get a grip over there. Safe Queens are nice lol. Swinging quickly back to the main topic...glad to see folks singing the praises of the cowboy rifles. I've owned several all in thirty thirty and carried one issued by the state for free..back before they came out with the scary looking army guns. Love the concept...but as far as being useable...from a rest I can group much tighter with a long barreled .357 magnesium pistol...speaking open sights of course. Will agree between a 336 and 94...the winnie is astoundingly light and handy..but not as a handly as a pistol. The Marlin seems more solid built and the flat top ic nice for anybody dumb enough to put a scope on it. Thats all I know other than I got my 69 Winni in the closet and just needs a shuck of the handle to be ready to rumble.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Why would you want a 30/30??? .
    30-30 has more power and longer range

if it is a matter of round quantity - 22 can hold lots
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Salt-N-Pepper View Post
    You can also shoot .38's out of it, cheap shells and perhaps the easiest round to reload on the planet. One note, if you plan on shooting both .38's and .357's out of the same carbine, you will be constantly adjusting your sights. The point of aim between the two rounds is radically different, not surprisingly.

I keep my .357 Henry set for .38's because I am cheap, but I have written down the general adjustments for .357 so if I need to switch I can get it close before firing the first sighting round.
    Glad to know that. From a 4" wheel gun a .38 spc wad cutter target load seems to hit six inches higher at 25 yards than does a factory load fast running .357 round. Wasnt much mystery to where it would hit. Cant imagine a rifle having a different set of tricks up its sleeve..but maybe. lol.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Dammit.. I should never have followed this thread. Now I’m looking at a Marlin 3030. Carried one in the early 80’s in the mountains. Mainly in a scabbard on the horse in case of mountain lions. A friend has one and I took it to the range and remember how accurate they can be and how well I shot it.

Now I want one.. dammit...
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Nice to have a combination R/P round. 357, 44 mag, 44/40.

But good ole 30-30 I'll take. When Win was USA

One of the best guns to stalk through our northeast woods, in search of whitetails. Light, powerful enough, and real handy. Probably killed more deer in USA than another, except maybe BP guns.

Most now, not know how to hunt. They want to snipe and use gadgets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking about a lever gun-pre-64.png  

Last edited by Mad Trapper; 12-28-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    bigwheel likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links