EDC/ Concealed Carry; 9mm or .380
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on EDC/ Concealed Carry; 9mm or .380 within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I am very new to CC, and to handguns in general. I have a Ruger LC9S and have been trying various holsters and carrying systems. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: EDC/ Concealed Carry; 9mm or .380

I am very new to CC, and to handguns in general. I have a Ruger LC9S and have been trying various holsters and carrying systems. I am a female, by the way, and thus I have had issues concealing what is already a rather small gun. Since it is winter, I have been ok concealing it under my shirt or sweater, although it always prints, and throwing a vest or coat on top. For this reason I have been considering getting an LCP or LCPII for the summer. Originally did not even consider the .380 because I am dubious about stopping power, especially since you only get 7 tries! I would love some wisdom on this topic.

Personal choice. If a weapon does not carry comfortable for you , likely it will stay home. The LCP is a good small CC but hard for some to adapt to. Daughter carries one and is a great shot with it. She however grow up around shooting. The LC380 is the same size as the LC9 so if you went to that why not stay with a 9mm? Short range a 380 will do the job it is a down size 9mm anyway.
    If you already have a LC9S you have an excellent CC. It is slim for a 9mm it is light. Easy to learn to CC. 380 will darn sure stop a target if you hit. That is the key. The LCP trigger for many is just a handful. And the smaller a weapon the hard it is to control. The LC9S slips right in between to small and getting to large. Some sights to Check out. CC for women is a different game than it is for men Not PC I know but still a fact.
    If 7 rounds is not enough, like 10 won't be either , There are limits to what you can do. My wife carries a .38 revolver hand issue make a slide hard to work. I won't not want her to have sights on me.

https://lethallace.com/pages/helpful-videos

As for 380 penetration to prove a point I ask Daughter to shoot a BG Painted on a steel door in the nose. Behind it was also a 7/16 sheet of plywood. it when through both.

EDC/ Concealed Carry; 9mm or .380-door380-2-.jpg

EDC/ Concealed Carry; 9mm or .380-door380-1-.jpg
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I can only recommend you carry what is comfortable to you. As Smitty said if it's not comfortable to carry and shoot it will be left at home. There are several members here with wives and daughters who carry, they can help. My wife carries in her purse, not ideal but her purse goes everywhere she does. There are many carry options available to women, many of which are on you tube, if the damned liberals haven't banned em yet. As to caliber choice? A well placed personnel protection round in 380 can bring a man down.
    0rocky and Denton like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I get that you are a woman, but carrying really starts with what you wear and what your body shape is like. I will be honest and say that I have more "comfortable" carry options since I have lost 40lbs and now bring appendix carry into the equation. My number one preferred spot to carry is on the right side outside the belt. Appendix carry right-side front about 1:30-2 is second and inside the belt back right-side about 4:30 on the clock is third. I also carry using a shoulder holster when carrying my Glock 17 and inside the front right pocket when I bring along my Taurus .380.
    Holster makes a world of difference as well. A quality holster that secures well to your body, retains the handgun well so you do not feel like you need to touch it to secure it and one that helps minimize printing.
    I would say that we worry too much about printing or that others will notice. Most people do not bother to look at you and will certainly not notice most printing.
    I am not an advocate of a woman carrying in her purse as I think that it is a bad idea having a firearm any place other than attached to your body or in your hand.
    As far as .380 versus 9mm goes.....both will kill people, but the 9mm does the job better. Both are much more effective with modern ammo versus ammo from even 5-6 years ago. Modern 9mm ammo puts it on par with .40 cal. A large reason that the FBI for instance went back to the 9mm versus .40 due to increased stopping power and the fact that ammo is much cheaper.
    I would go to a good gun shop and try out different holsters and ways to carry. I would also look to ask other women who carry how they do it.
    Denton likes this.

I would go with 9mm just because it is cheaper to shoot. That means you can practice more for your money.

I have a Ruger LCP and it is no fun to shoot. There are others out there but none of the pocket size guns are pleasant.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Denton likes this.

No disrespect intended...... but if you think 7 shots are not enough I strongly suggest you look into some professional training. The small Ruger autos are difficult to shoot due to small sights and ultra short sight radius. Training should help. You might also consider carrying an extra mag for a reload. Training should also include reloading under stress. Again! NO DISRESPECT INTENDED!
    PS..... I vote 9mm.
    Denton likes this.

If you shoot the LC9s well then it sounds like your having an issue of finding a carry system thats comfortable for you. However I can't say anything bad about the LCP, I bought mine right after I took my CC class in 2013 and it was my only EDC piece until I got my Shield last month. Now I alternate, if I'm going to work in which I can't carry inside I go with the LCP because pocket carry makes it easy and convenient to arm/disarm in my car. If I'm out and about usually I carry the Shield now but I also carry the LCP. Its just so darn convenient. Don't let the internet beat you up about stopping power of the .380, from what I understand its right there with popular former LEO .38 special loading and they've been putting bad guys in the dirt for quiet a long time. You find some good carry ammo and it will do just fine for you!
    Denton likes this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Compare LCP380 and LC9S size wise not much difference. But a world apart in hitting the target

EDC/ Concealed Carry; 9mm or .380-lcp-lc9s.jpg.
    Denton likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I recommend that everyone bring along at least one additional magazine or reload. I usually bring two additional mags/reloads plus typically have my Taurus 738 .380 in my right front pocket with a back-up mag for it in my left rear pocket. I remember what the one armed deputy on "Unforgiven" said when asked why he carried so many guns....."I don't plan getting killed for lack of shootin back."
    Prepared One and Denton like this.

I have tried the lethal lace and it was a waste of money, there is no way a it can hold up the (small) weight of the LC9S. I also tried the Flash bang bra holster and that was a joke too. Right now i am using a neoprene "belly band" and keeping it on my right hip. Yes I definitely want some training and am planning on enrolling in a laser course to start with.
    Annie, rice paddy daddy and Denton like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links