Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Recommend geiger counter and dosimeter

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  headhunter 
#1 ·
What with all that's going on with N Korea, I would like to add some way of measuring radiation to my preps. Initially i just wanted one do-it-all thingamajig but after some research there doesn't seem to be such a thing :).
From what i understand, i need a geiger counter for low energy detection and a dosimeter to measure the actual energy (dose & dose rate).

What do you guys use and why?

#2 ·
I use a Kearny Fallout Meter. It's an electroscope, about as simple as it gets.

Automotive lighting Gas Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim

Why? 1st: Because it's cheap, and I could build it myself. 2nd: Because it contains no electronic circuitry to be affected by EMP. I really just need a general idea of when it's safe to leave the basement. I leave the accurate (and expensive) instruments to the health physicists.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kearny_fallout_meter

#4 · (Edited)
I have a Radalert 50, and Victoreen dosimeters.

There are two common CD counters, the 700 and the 715, there is a big difference in them.

The 700 is a typical Geiger counter for the low end emissions using a hand held detector tube,

the 715 is a cloud chamber type(IIRC) for high end like an H bomb.

I don't have a 715 because if I need it to take reading, I am already the walking dead.

The dosimeters measure your exposure levels in total rads, they are reset-able, and need to be before using.

They are constantly active.

Mine;
Circuit component Font Electronic component Gas Technology

#5 ·
Thanks sideKahr, I think the KFM would make a fantastic backup! EMF proof, no batteries required and ±25% accuracy. And free :). Is that one you made yourself?

I am also looking for a geiger counter for round the clock monitoring with user definable alert that goes off as soon as it goes above background radiation levels. It would also be good for detecting food contamination, and checking hotspots & leaks in the shelter if all hell breaks loose. I'm sniffing around the Mazur PRM 9000 at the moment.

#6 ·
I bought rebuilt and calibrated model 700 Civil Defense low range survey meter(Geiger counter), a 715 high range survey meter and a 750 dosimeter charger with 3 dosimeters. Why? The old Civil Defense meters are of old world technology when electronics were more robust. Even so, I store them triple wrapped in aluminum foil/plastic sheeting and in a foil sealed garbage can. before you go out and spend the money, read the literature out there and understand it all before you drop a big chunk of change. Oh, the #715 high range meter will basically tell if you are being cooked. It is only for high range, the kind that you don't want to be around.

Gauge Measuring instrument Gas Font Auto part

Marker pen Battery Writing implement Paint Office supplies

Automotive lighting Electronic device Audio equipment Cable Auto part

#8 ·
I bought rebuilt and calibrated model 700 Civil Defense low range survey meter(Geiger counter), a 715 high range survey meter and a 750 dosimeter charger with 3 dosimeters. Why? The old Civil Defense meters are of old world technology when electronics were more robust. Even so, I store them triple wrapped in aluminum foil/plastic sheeting and in a foil sealed garbage can. before you go out and spend the money, read the literature out there and understand it all before you drop a big chunk of change. Oh, the #715 high range meter will basically tell if you are being cooked. It is only for high range, the kind that you don't want to be around.
Totally agree about old world tech being more robust. Having said that, those CD pen dosimeters are notorious for drifting. Some just plain don't work anymore. I'm hesitant to get' em off eBay.

#7 · (Edited)
This is a newer version of the model I went with. It became one of the most popular models in Japan after the tsunami got those nuke plants a few years back and has a fairly high upper range so it would be more useful than some other modern Geiger counters that max out even at fairly low levels.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C89OZPG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've tested the unit and it worked fine before tossing it into an EMP bag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.