Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

helmets?

Tags
helmets
5K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  User Name 
#1 ·
Does anyone recommend any combat helmets?

#2 ·
Any helmet is better than no helmet.

Head injuries are easily obtained, . . . very painful, . . . often bleed very badly, . . . are hard to take care of on your own (it's kind tough to look up on top of your head to see how things are doing), and can be very prone to infection.

The old WW2 up through Vietnam steel pot is not as good as the latest and greatest our troops presently wear (so I've been told), . . . but they are cheap, . . . long lasting, . . . and will take a pretty good hit.

I have one here at my house, . . . and I can see the situation where I might be inclined to put it on, . . . but no, I do not wear it every day.

May God bless,
Dwight

This post has been deleted
#16 · (Edited)
Ahhhh, yes! The good ol' steel pot.
You can wash in it; dig an emergency foxhole with it if your motivation is strong enough, such as incoming fire; use it as a parking brake for a jeep; sit on it; carry water from the stream in it; carry your cigarettes and a bottle of gun oil under the elastic band that is designed to hold branches to help you look like a bush; and many other uses.
Draw backs - in the monsoon rains the rear lip seems designed to pour even more water down your neck than it is already getting; don't fasten the chin strap or any close by explosions can give you a concussion; running requires one hand holding your rifle and one holding the pot on your head; and they are heavy.

I'd like to have one. Just to sit on the shelf, so I could gaze upon it in my old age. :tango_face_smile:

#4 ·
Even new designs are heavy and uncomfortable to wear. If you wear them enough you get used to them but they are a pain in the neck till then. I think most people would not think they would wear them. Wear it and for sure you get noticed by folks.

How much they help is often debated there have been guys who survived a shot to the head by a rifle with a modern helmet but I would not waste time/ money on the old steel pot.

#7 ·
I have the PASGT helmets I was issued while on the SWAT team.

Replaced the black cover with woodland cammo.

The only problem I have wearing one is when I have my ANPVS-7 attached.

Any military helmet like our WW2 M1 will be better than nothing.

The M1 helmet will ride higher with the Vietnam era suspension.

There are other dangers that can cause severe injuries without one.

At times, I patrol my property with the combination at night along with my M4 and the IR laser attached.

Not out there trying to be a commando, but to keep the neck muscles tuned to it.

#8 · (Edited)
you want some kind of head protection in your preps - never know when you might be manning a barricade against rock throwing a-holes ... fireman's helmet with a visor is handy to have around .... for post SHTF recovery & salvage work you'll want a hard hat at least - in tornado alley many families have one for every adult - bike helmets for the kids .... I have a few DIY "miner's helmets" with permanently mounted headlamps for hands free safety work ....

#14 ·
Illini Warrior makes a VERY good point about the hard hat for recovery work.

You can get a face shield on a military helmet .

#11 ·
I wear one all the time. I get the oddest comments.

Hand Photograph Moon Light Tartan

#17 ·
Yes, get the best one money can buy.

BUT...

Wear it ALL the time.

If you don't, I...er...someone...will wait until you walk out of your homestead to take a leak or grab a smoke and send 168 grains of .308 projectile at 2700fps into your unprotected noggin.

Then get all your stuff and take a dump in your commode.

Just sayin'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.