Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Security mods

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  8301 
#1 ·
Hi all, what have you been doing to improve your home security? specifically physical upgrades to doors, windows etc?

Reactions: A Watchman
#6 ·
Fixed and added a whole bunch of motion sensor floodlights. I know if a skunk comes in the yard at midnight. The sensors are adjustable and have a 240 degree sweep

In barns and sheds have added screw in motion sensors to light fixtures. Handy for me and makes a thief think an alarm might be activated. Along with these are motion sensor alarms that are connected to the lights that don't require wiring. Lights and alarms. You can bundle these into different zones/lights/alarms to some or all come on. Still requires line power but sure will scare/confuse a thief. These lights alarms and sensors can have a remote battery operated sensor, located where you wish. I put one halfway up the driveway to activate some of the floodlights.

Got a "fake" sign to put at bottom of driveway; "Protected by XXX Security systems".

If the lights come on and I'm home, then I'm the backup. 911 is not an option.

#8 ·
Barberry is a nasty invasive plant. In a few years the birds will have crapped the seeds all over your property and wherever else they fly.

I'm having an issue with barberry eradication along with other "landscaping" invasives like bittersweet , burning bush, multiflora rose (that will make barberry thorns seem like clover), etc... That is removing these $#!t plants I didn't plant, want, or need. Thanks to landscapers and crunchie homeowners who introduce them with no thought of the consequences. Part of my farm/forest management plan deals with all of the above plants. It will cost $$$ to control/eradicate

Black- or Raspberries would do the same and you could reap a harvest each summer, and some varieties have much nastier thorns than a barberry.

BTW, one of the ways I remove barberry is mechanical means; I rip them out by hand and all I need is leather gloves.

#9 ·
The pit bull with aids thing seems to work.

Two black labs, alarm system house and barn. Personal protective devices that go boom.

#10 ·
Long screws on the hinges of the doors. If you have a sliding door a broom stick or piece of wood in the track. Windows that slide sticks. For windows that slide up and down drill a hole and insert a nail in the closed position then open a couple inches and do it again so that you can open the window then "lock" it in position.

Lights on motion sensors like others have mentioned. Cameras so you can see outside without going outside.

Fencing - chain link or in a rural area line fence- 4x4 squares keeps dogs in and people out. They have to climb fence and then be in yard with dogs to get to a window or door. Locks on gates . Also in a rural area you could use an electric fence or run a hot wire on top. I like roses on fences I think they look nice and keep folks off the fence.

No bushes up close to the house for folks to hide behind. Keep the garage door locked and the door from garage into the house locked as well. PEEP HOLE ON THE GARAGE DOOR or better a camera in the garage. Check to make sure door is closed and garage is unoccupied before opening door from home into garage.

Park vehicles in the garage and keep them locked. If parked out of the garage I park them so that they are not directly in front of the house. Should someone pull in the lane I want a clear shot without having to worry about hitting one of my vehicles.

A fence and gate once you are in the lane before you get up to the house can be helpful just make sue you put a bell so someone can ring you from the gate or make sure everyone knows a number to call you. Remember to give code, key to fire department. If you put in a lane gate make sure it is a wide gate and you set it back from road so you can pull into the lane then open gate without blocking the road.

I have neighbors who have a narrow gate and it sits to close to the road. Good thing they have is several dogs that then have the run of the place. You cannot get to the house without the dogs Alerting .

Geese also work well as guard / alert animals and are easier for some people to have . Advantage to geese is you can eat the eggs and the geese. They eat bugs and vegetation So in some ways better than dogs.

#13 ·
All great ideas! I added a steel plate behind the lock bolt on the inside. I also sunk in 2" high tensil screws in the hinge and lockplates to make it difficult to kick the door in. Want to devise a way to add a bar across the door but I dont want to make the door look like a medieval castle gate.

#15 ·
Reinforced the front door locks, motion lights around exterior of house, fixed flood lights 4 on each corner that all come on with the flip of a switch avail on each floor.
I put 3M security film on all ground level windows, this is tough stuff! Motion detectors in the yard all side and different sounds on the alarm for each yard quadrant.
I have a 'DOG" alarm on the inside and a beware of dog sticker on the door. If anyone comes near the front of the house the dog alarm barks like a pissed off German Shepard.
This is my basic set up and I have a few other security measures in place : )

#16 ·
Couple more thoughts.

Lights on timers to come on and go off as if someone where home. Know your neighbors and talk to them that way they will recognize your vehicles and your crew . They can call you if it looks like you are gone but someone else might be in your home or on your property.

When I first moved here I have was over working cattle on a neighbors place and had people stop to chat. Now did they really stop to chat or where they checking up on the truck and stock trailer they did not recognize. Ever notice that people in a rural area are "friendly" and often stop ask if you need directions , wave at you? They are telling you I see you and if something comes up missing I will report our vehicle plate number and description.

If you do not have one form a neighborhood watch.

Measure out and mark 100 yards, 50 , 25 yards to make acquiring targets easier around the house. Pick out firing positions. Put up Perimeter fences and mark as No Trespass .

Take an inventory - serial numbers on weapons, vins on cars, pictures of all valuables . Wont stop a thief but helps with insurance claims .

#17 ·
Nothing serious, but I dont grease door hinges. Nosier
I had an alarm system, but the stickers on my doors saying protected by Sig Sauer is a start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.