Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Ladies Only: SHTF / Bug Out / Camping Clothes

4K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  indie 
#1 ·
Hi Ladies....and can we get a roll call?! I'm looking for some good ideas for summer clothing. Camping type stuff. Where do you shop? The clothes my daughters and I normally wear really aren't suitable for camping or an SHTF situation. Please include links if you have them. Thanks!!!

#3 ·
I am with Indie....most of my clothing is jeans (Wrangler, Carhartt, Dickies), t-shirts, tank tops, cut off jeans in the summer when I am out working in the yard. My shoes are hiking boots, Romeos, Keen's and Muck boots. I also have several flannel shirts (mostly Carhartt) for chilly mornings.

Don't get me wrong, I do have some girly clothes for when I go out of the house, but most of my days are spent working around the homestead, so I definitely have more work clothes than cute stuff

Droid did it!

#4 ·
Thanks!

My go to clothes are either comfortable dresses or yoga pants or if it's hot-hot, bike shorts if I'm being slouchy.... My girls are mostly in shorts and sun dresses these days. For the kind of camping we do, these are okay, but if the S. really hit, we're gonna need something more sturdy. I'm liking the idea of cargo pants 'cause they have pockets. Other than my coats and jackets, none of my clothes have pockets.

#5 ·
Wife says to go look at a big box outdoor clothing store and ignore the mens/ ladys signs Head for the boys in pants and shorts. If it fits, you like it, get it. In Bass Pro they have pink, baby blue shirts in the "men's" department . So what is men's and what is women's / what difference does it make ? Years ago she would be in a women's specialty fashion store but now days it is all about function.

The women's pants/ shorts can have fake pockets and things just for looks ignore that . Look for form , function. Running /workout gear especially quick dry in the women's department is good . Sports bras are what she wears unless dressed up . Loose fitting nothing tight.

Duluth trading company has some good stuff.

Reactions: Annie
#9 ·
Wife says to go look at a big box outdoor clothing store and ignore the mens/ ladys signs Head for the boys in pants and shorts. If it fits, you like it, get it. In Bass Pro they have pink, baby blue shirts in the "men's" department . So what is men's and what is women's / what difference does it make ? Years ago she would be in a women's specialty fashion store but now days it is all about function.

The women's pants/ shorts can have fake pockets and things just for looks ignore that . Look for form , function. Running /workout gear especially quick dry in the women's department is good . Sports bras are what she wears unless dressed up . Loose fitting nothing tight.

Duluth trading company has some good stuff.
Hips and waists don't measure up the same on men's pants as on ladies. But I'll check out Bass Pro, thanks!

#6 ·
Oh yeah, that's another thing about "girly" pants - the friggin' pockets! What is with the pockets?! I have a very small pocket knife and that takes up the pockets of my Levi's. Meanwhile, I can stick my whole flat hand in my Wranglers, along with all the accoutrements of a country lifestyle and still have room for a hip holster with no scrunching.

And for footwear, I agree on Keens, but I recently bought a pair of Ariat Fatbaby boots and they're the bees knees. I'll probably never wear another shoe. Get the right dresses and they dress up just as well as they dress down.

#10 ·
You have a point in terms of comfort and carrying a light load in your pack. I can see the benefit in terms of comfort and affordability. I'm just thinking that leggings and yoga pants are very lightweight and if you're dealing with SHTF and you have an accident and you slip and fall, chances are pretty good you'll have a flesh wound, too.

#20 ·
I like Duluth Trading for clothes you can actually work in. The dry on the fly line is good - I have a couple of the hoodies. I'm also a legging fan (loathe ticks) and use a waist pouch to make up for no pockets. I love exofficio underwear for the BOB, camping or extended trips in places where you'll do laundry in the sink. They hold up well, resist smells, wash easily and dry fast. Two pairs got me through 3 hot and humid weeks in Indonesia!

In all seasons, my BOB has my wool essentials. In summer, thin wool stocking cap, gloves, long underwear (smartwool) and socks (darn tough!!) Nights can get unexpectedly cold. In winter I add a second layer of heavier wool cap, etc. Don't forget a light windproof jacket - hypothermia is an all season issue.

#23 ·
This is a moving target for me right now. I normally wear jeans, tshirts, and tennis shoes. But I've lost 50 pounds so far this year, and I've gone through 3 different sizes so far. I'm running out of clothes that fit! I've resorted to buying some leggings so they will last longer than a size or two. I still need some jeans, but hope to keep it down to 2 pairs in each size I buy. My clothes in my BOB totally need to be rethought as what's in there is too large.

Reactions: Annie and TG
#25 ·
This thread has me to thinking for sure! I like the idea of rugged cargo pants, but they are expensive! I think for a bugout situation, I'd like to have rugged jeans or cargo pants, several pairs of undergarments (because if it came down to it, I'd much rather have extra of that than outerwear!), several pair of socks, a t-shirt, a long sleeve shirt, and a jacket (lightweight or heavy depending on the season).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.