Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Waterproof backpack cover?

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  dwight55 
#1 ·
Hello, forgive me if this is in the wrong section I'm still learning how to navigate the forum and its sub forums.

Im in the market for a waterproof backpack cover. Primarily to cover my 5.11 Rush 72 bag. I've come across an abundant amount of covers on amazon and eBay, but most of them say water repellant. Does any one have a particular brand or model that they can attest for? My 2 main reasons for the cover is 1) It rains like crazy where I'm from down south especially in the summer times and 2) in the scenario where shtf and I'm forced to leave my home I would like to cover it up so it's less attractive to other people, even though I'll be doing most of my traveling at night. I also have a Rush 24 that my wife will be carrying so I would like to cover hers as well. I know the Rush series is water repellant, but I rather be safe than sorry If the event arises. Open to all suggestions. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Hello, forgive me if this is in the wrong section I'm still learning how to navigate the forum and its sub forums.

Im in the market for a waterproof backpack cover. Primarily to cover my 5.11 Rush 72 bag. I've come across an abundant amount of covers on amazon and eBay, but most of them say water repellant. Does any one have a particular brand or model that they can attest for? My 2 main reasons for the cover is 1) It rains like crazy where I'm from down south especially in the summer times and 2) in the scenario where shtf and I'm forced to leave my home I would like to cover it up so it's less attractive to other people, even though I'll be doing most of my traveling at night. I also have a Rush 24 that my wife will be carrying so I would like to cover hers as well. I know the Rush series is water repellant, but I rather be safe than sorry If the event arises. Open to all suggestions. Thanks
Good morning.

Most of us use waterproof bags that go into the individual compartments inside of the 5.11. From 1 gallon ziplock bags to using kitchen garbage bags for the larger compartments. I have yet to see an effective cover that keeps moisture out. Google waterproof bags for rucksack/backpack and you should get some good hits.

Also remember that covers tend to snag on brush or branches and tear when hiking. One other note about covers and making the pack waterproof, it limits access to the external pockets and compartments and can be a pain in the butt.

#3 ·
The water repellent will work as a concealment, but if it rains, your poncho goes on over the pack. If it won't fit over you and a 72, you need a better poncho.

#4 ·
Yeah I was thinking of zip locking everything that can't be wet. That's not a bad idea. It didn't even cross my mind as far as accessibility for the bag once I put a cover on it. That's something to take into consideration. I do have emergency ponchos that I can use, but truthfully I've never actually tried them on with my pack on me. For one it comes nicely folded and compact and once I take it out it's nearly impossible to fold back up nicely to fit back inside its packaging so I might just go out and buy another cheap poncho just to test it out. Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it.

#5 ·
Zip locks of various sizes if you need to keep things water proof. I do not usually have everything in bags but on canoe trips and when doing water crossings- swimming across a lake or river. I do it that way. I have been out for weeks in the tropics during raining season using that method and it works .

I carry big trash bag to put over the pack to keep it dry and use poncho when hiking in the rain. I do not enjoy hiking in the rain and now days would only do it if I had to.

Reactions: Toefoot
#7 · (Edited)
You will go far, . . . wide, . . . and not necessarily handsome, . . . beating out the old Vietnam green poncho.

If you order one, . . . takes 10 days for the stink to go away out in your garage, . . . but come the devil and high water, . . . they are awful hard to beat.

AND, . . . it can be made into a neat little roll that sits on top or is slung underneath your pack, . . . works great !! :vs_laugh:

May God bless,
Dwight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.