Bullet Proof Vests lightness/cost - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bullet Proof Vests lightness/cost

This is a discussion on Bullet Proof Vests lightness/cost within the Personal Protection, Gear, Mods, Accessories forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I know that. I'm just saying it's a moot point, anyone shooting at you with anything bigger than a 9mm is going to hurt you....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bullet Proof Vests lightness/cost

Banned

I know that. I'm just saying it's a moot point, anyone shooting at you with anything bigger than a 9mm is going to hurt you.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

The Good Cop

Whew! OK, that's good. I just didn't want you to get hurt.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

BulletProofME.com Body Armor - Ballistic Protection Levels

Check the above link.
    As for e bay, each seller has his ratings in % on his profile. Look at the reviews he has.
    I do not know what gets outdated in a vest. It could be from sunlight, cleaning or just age. I never checked it out.
    The level of protection you want is up to you.
    This link has a lot of good information. Also remember stab resistant is different than bullet resistant and the higher the level the protection is the heavier and more uncomfortable it will be.
    Chances are you will never wear it.
    There are places where ballastic jackets etc are made for professionals.
    Bulletproof Clothing | SecretAgentMagazine.com
    I don't have personal knowlege nor do I endorse any products.
    I suggest you read about it in several places before spending your hard earned cash.
    Your best defense is to be aware of your surroundings, listen to uour instincts and get the heck out before things happen.
    Amimals do not take chances on being injured in the wild because they do not want to be disabeled or disavantaged for the next incident.

Good luck and I hope I helped someone.
    Last edited by ibewbull; 09-08-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Hidden Content

Have a safe day and be ready in all ways.

Bull

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

this may just be the next thing on my list jeeze I wonder what one retails for

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    ..Jim, mild steel will not stop rifle bullets. I've got a piece of 3/16" thick mild steel plate that I put a 30-30 round thru @ 100 yards. The jacket was left bonded to the edge of the hole, the innards kept right on going.
    Yeah my take is that no matter how thick and super-duper expensive armor is, sooner or later a zomb will come along with a rifle capable of penetrating it.
    So I think all we can do is buy (or make) armour that'll at least stop most regular handgun rounds, maybe 3/16" steel would do that?
    Personally I'd wear the heaviest armour that it'd be possible to comfortably carry, say a half-inch steel slab hung round my neck and buttoned under my jacket.

PS- there's a good lesson to be learned from tank warfare, namely that no matter how thick a tanks armour is (e.g. the German Tiger), sooner or later a tank will come along capable of penetrating it such as the US Pershing, Brit Firefly and Russian T-34/85, especially if firing solid tungsten ammo.
    Last edited by Lucky Jim; 09-09-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Banned

front cover to a pot bellied stove like back to the future 3

This Russian WW2 guy seems to have a nice vest of some sort-

The new ballistic gear has ceramic ballistic plates that, yes once they are hit or damaged in any way they are compromised and must be replaced. I did take a hit to the chest and then the lower right quadrant of my back wearing this protective gear and both 7.62 x 39 rounds from the shooter (with an AK-47) were stopped from penetrating. Of course I had damage from the hits, and soft tissue damage, but the rounds did not penetrate. These vests are extremely expensive but from time to time they do come available. You just must be very careful to make sure there is no degradation in the ballistic plates or other materials.

Note... I always wear a safariland summit IIIA vest with front and back plates in addition to the outer ballistic armor. Even though the rounds did not penetrate the ceramic plates, I know that this extra protection mitigated a lot more damage, and the fact that it was a long range shot.

Fact is, as stated previously within 500 to 1000 yds, the penetrating power of ammunition from many long guns and assault weapons is unsurvivable if the shot group is in the right place. If your hit, your hit. If you have the money now and can afford it... cant hurt to get ballistic armor. Otherwise, spend you dollars on something you can enjoy now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links