Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Body Armor for civilians.

6K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  User Name 
#1 ·
I live in rural GA but work as a fireman in a very busy part of Metro Atlanta. I recently purchased a plate carrier AR500 plates. I didn't buy it for work but to carry in my truck when I have to drive into the city on my days off. I carry a Glock 19 Gen4 every day I am off. Some of you maybe thinking why the plate carrier in the truck? Well my idea of this is for an active shooter scenario. I have never been nor ever will be the type of person to run from a problem. As a Fireman/ Advanced EMT, I have also taken an oath to try my hardest to save lives whenever possible. My plate carrier has a an EMT ID patch on the front and Fire Dept one on the back. Along with 2 extra mags and Serpa holster in the front. How many of you have plate carriers and why do you have them????

#3 · (Edited)
@Fireman_25,

First off, welcome.
Second, ARE YOU STUPID?

I spent more than a decade in Atlanta and I'm here to tell you that I ain't gonna be a hero when some democrats in College Park, Riverdale, Forest Park or other shitholes of Metro Atlanta start shooting each other over an EBT card or a Shlitz Malt Liquor induced baba mama macho thing.

Unless you are wearing your body armor all day every day, AND it ain't gonna help you if someone wants to take you out with a head or groin shot.

Thanks!

Your friend,

Slippy :vs_wave:

#4 ·
Thanks. We never go in without police at work but if SHTF when I'm out one day, Im gonna do my best to save some lives if they need to be saved. Im not trying to be Mr Hero or anything but I think more people need to start acting during these situations instead of just hiding or running away. Im originally from FL and that Ft Lauderdale shooting that happened a few weeks ago hit too close to home for me. That would have happened a day later and my parents would have been there in that shit show.

#5 ·
LOL!! No I am not stupid sir, and no Im not talking about a situation of some democrats fighting over an EBT card. Im talking about something like what happened in Orlando or Ft Lauderdale airport. You can think what you want of me. Im not here for any of you approvals.

#7 ·
I'm just jacking with you a bit.:vs_smirk:

But seriously, as I mentioned, unless you are wearing your body armor all day everyday more than likely if you are in a restaurant or some public venue and shooting starts then Yes, protect yourself with deadly force or get the hell out of the situation.

But knowing Atlanta,(and any other large metro city) its WAAAY more likely that some hood rat will start shooting other hood rats.

My advice is to stay out of these places where the hood rats be. :vs_no_no_no:

#6 ·
Well I started getting the low bid vests issued starting back in the real early 70s..and had some improved models as the years went by. They are all too hot to wear in the summer and pinches the love handles of fat boys all year round. Mine spent 99.99% of its time either left at home or locked in the trunk. Now if I knew for sure somebody was going to shoot me..I would sure not be above putting it on..but am prepared to run the risk of getting gut shot without wearing one of the monstrosities on a regular basis.

#9 ·
First off, welcome.

The idea you have makes sense, I cannot tell you how many posts I see online from these "three percenter" asshats wanting to charge in with full kit and get into a firefight with determined and upgunned adversaries...wanting to protect your hide while administering first aid is about as practical a reason as I can think of...might want to get a helmet, seen one or 2 medics take their pot off and lose their noggins in SA.

I keep a set out of force of habit, take it out every blue moon to assist with or teach a course, maybe for a ruck in case I have to wear it. Outside of a military enviornment, it wont do much good, I cant wear it to the airport or bar; and if I lived - I aint turning around into the thick of things to end up dead via shooter, 3%asshats or cops who mistake me for Ahmed al-Americani-Dumbassi

The prepper community seems to fixate on these things, as well as gas masks for some reason where a majority have never fired a shot in anger nor been shot/shot at. Either way I agree with your thought process for your situation.

Make sure to PMCS your plates and take a good look at em, I cracked an AR500 in half with one 124gr 9mm handload...other anecdotal evidence also exists about poor QC/QA efforts. I use HighCom 4S plates, local to Columbus and the owners are very good people

sent from a paper cup and string via quantum wierdness

#10 · (Edited)
I have six vest, they range from level 2 up to ceramic plates.

All were issued by the department I worked for.

I carry a level 2 in my Cherokee all the time, just in case..

The soft armor vests all have rigid plates 6"x6", either trauma or armor.

The level 4 was for when I was on the tactical team as counter sniper.

I also carry a Sig 228 or other handgun.

I am far too old to get into anything other than self defense.

Oh, yeah, I carry M17A1 protective mask and a PASGT pot.

Force of habit I guess, carried a full kit for 10 years before retiring.

From a legal standpoint, all vest are registered in my name,

issued by the PD, paid for with federal grants, and came out with me as personal property.

#11 ·
I still have two VN era ones with steel plates around also. They work. But try wearing one everyday. Welcome

#12 ·
I've thought about the idea myself. Modern vests are not are bulky, and I wouldn't be wearing one to deliberately engage in a gunfight.

If I can exit the area of the trouble, that's my best option. But with the incompetent bangers in the Madison area (who did not hit anyone one in 50 exchanges) the possibility of stray shots and ricochets exits.

I do know they used to make bulletproof parkas for school age children in cities. It might be time for us.

#13 · (Edited)
It's a great idea to have some protection. People spend all their time worrying about food and firearms which do you little good if your dead.

With everyone having large caliber deer hunting rifles in my area and the knowledge to use them effectively. Carrying around a heavy plate carrier all day wouldn't cut it. I have no illusion of stopping 30-06, 270 or 300 win mag. I would like to get a soft armor type vest, setup with mag carriers, holster etc. What are the experts using or suggest??

#14 ·
Them stinky old vests I had over the years would supposedly stop pistol bullets..but the guy who sold the things say if a person gets shot in the sternum with a .44 mag would prob die from blunt force trauma so a person did not have to worry about it going all the way through.

#15 ·
I keep helmets with an older flack vests at home I did recently carry a set with with me on an errand. I also carried a long gun of a type I do not normally carry. If we were in a situation and I needed to travel / go to town that is what I would wear and the weapon I would have in my hands.

I normally have a lever action rifle stored in the vehicle good for a lot of things yet gets less attention than a AR 15 .

I reviewed protective gear recently considered a newer vest with plates. It would be nice but too expensive in my assessment . If I lived in a metro area I am sure I would think differently .

#16 ·
I wear a level IIA vest for 8-12 hours a day. It is like wearing a 10 lb. full body diaper. It sucks and it is useless against rifle fire. I support you 100% in wanting to be there for victims in an ASR situation. Police will not stop to render aid. They are trained to drive straight to the threat and mitigate it. After that they will be busy making sure no one else on the scene was working with the shooter(s). I know alot of Officers that carry plates and carriers in their trunks and off duty in case they have to respond on the spur of the moment. After I retire I will only take action to protect myself or a family member. At least that's what I want to and should do.

#17 ·
Hey there man, it's super awesome that you are a firefighter and you try your hardest to save people whenever you can. You asked us if we have any plate carriers and why do we have them so lemme get to that haha. So yes, I do have a plate carrier and the reason why I have it is due to the fact that you can never be so careful these days. There are some types of body armor that normal civilians can't have (due to how strong they are) but I have a basic body armor that I have bought from the website thebestbodyarmor.com. It is really nice and pretty light, only weighs about 18 pounds at the most and I bought the color, I think it is called digital camo (It's so awesome haha) But yea, that is pretty much the only reason why I have the body armor, nothing as heroic as you are doing. But once again, thanks for doing everything for us Mr. Fireman!

#18 · (Edited)
I carry the same in my vehicle as well. For a couple of reasons.
Some people may scoff at helping others....But what if those others were your Kids at an event where a shooter was? I don't think any person would not run in to help. Or your parents at home being robbed.
What happens if you have to fight through something to get to a safer place...Sure I can drive my vehicle through a threat...but if they are shooting at me...I will feel better about having a vest on...Doors don't stop many rounds.

Good on you Fireman_25.

#19 ·
Just remember the reverse side of this debate.

Numerous knife alloys (in fact, I carry a knife made from 3V) are capable of easily puncturing Kevlar like it's not even there. No matter which style of vest you choose, there are going to be exclusions in what it will and what it will not stop.

This is one of the reasons I'm still researching the topic for buying personal protection.

#22 ·
While I'm not sure a 3V will puncture a cardio plate, it will slice just about everything else. Plus, it will puncture any fabric style vest.

I had always thought that CPM-M4 was the toughest cutlery steel because guys who participate in cutting contests use it. I recently found out that 3V is tougher stuff.

#23 ·
Welcome Fireman 25 !

Personally I have my plate carrier in my truck, I have a London Bridge Trading Co. black multicam plate carrier ( which was a gift ) I'm running with Spartan Armor Systems 550 11x14's. But I also carry eight mags for my Scar 17 on it and two pistol mags, I also carry an IFAK on mine and my one Mora knife. Mostly my idea with my plate carrier set up is to save primarily one life; mine, I'm not a medic my fiance is, I figured if her and I are together I'll provide cover while she saves whoever. I bought her one it's a Condor, she keeps hers in her SUV along with her pack.

#24 ·
I personally don't feel the need to use armor day to day. Not when my focus is more geared toward not getting shot.
INMHO more people need a thick skin like you have. Most active shooters will turn tail at the first sight of resistance or a cop. Or just blow there brains out. Even if they don't someone has to stop it and cops are usually too late to the party. I've been scolded more than once by saying I'd stand and fight which I think is sad. Don't carry a gun and say you'll protect you or anyone for that matter if you won't put down a BG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
As a civilian, I cannot see wearing a cardio plate everyday. If I thought I was going to enter a jihadist attack, I wouldn't go to that location.

I'm looking for something light weight, perhaps to deflect a knife or even a ricochet. I believe in Jeff Cooper's "color code," and if I see 'orange,' I'm on my way out.

In Madison, if I stopped to fight I'd just be protecting liberals...

#29 ·
protection in it.
Personally I don't think these morons have a lick of sense, but be advised that steel like M-4, 3V, S35VN and cobalt alloys will go through Kevlar like a hot knife through butter. Those vests will not stop a stab.

They will offer some protection against slashes, and even if you're nicked, you can respond with proper deadly force.

I would advise all you guys to find a decent blade forum, pick a good one, not a fan-boy magnet. Look for sharpening forums, those guys study alloys because they have to sharpen/polish/repair clients' knives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.