Which would you choose as a personal protection weapon? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Which would you choose as a personal protection weapon?

This is a discussion on Which would you choose as a personal protection weapon? within the Personal Protection, Gear, Mods, Accessories forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; If a gun is not an option then I would carry wasp spray. It will shoot over 20 feet and it will blind a person ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Which would you choose as a personal protection weapon?

If a gun is not an option then I would carry wasp spray. It will shoot over 20 feet and it will blind a person if you hit them in the eyes. They will stay blinded until they get medical attention. A stun gun works but only at close range and the baton is just a stick that will be taken from an untrained user and used to beat him/her to death.
    I feel that if the weapon you are using requires that you are within one or two steps of your opponent then you are likely to die. If you have to be within three to five steps you are likely to be seriously injured. If you can effectively use your weapon beyond six steps from your opponent then you can use the weapon and get away. You could stick around to finish your opponent off but you then risk injury or death.

This assumes that your opponent does not have a gun either.

There is a reason that police carry tasers, pepper spray, and batons because you need secondary weapons. Each has its limitations but it is options other than going straight to the firearm. I suggest getting trained on a secondary weapon and carry it along with your CCW weapon.
    Just Sayin' likes this.

In addition to my glock, I carry a 14,000,000 volt tazer that is the size of an iphone.

Sometimes, even police grade pepper spray with UV dye helps.

I have trained in martial arts for over 11 years now, and I prefer to have something that I can just push a button to use, instead of per say... A pocket knife that I would have to unfold. Fighting is fast paced
    PaulS likes this.
    “It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
    Charles Darwin

“The strong survive, but the courageous triumph.”
    Michael Scott

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Make a monkey fist and store it o your key ring. Make it with a weight in it and you can attack your assailant with either that monstrous knot or the keys. Either end will hurt. They look nice and help you locate your keys, so its not really a weapon...

Quote Originally Posted by Rigged for Quiet View Post
    Texas has some legal oddities. We have great gun laws but some of the most restrictive blade laws in the country. The only thing I can figure out is it's an attempt to keep idiots from bringing a knife to a gun fight.
    Some of the blade laws changed in Sept it is now legal to carry a switch blade in Texas BUttttt cities still can ban them check first
    {GM Consulting Service}
    Revolutions Started, Lions Tamed,
    Assassinations Plotted, Bars Emptied,
    Governments Run, Widows Wooed,
    Uprisings Quelled, Wars Fought, Golf Matches Fixed,
    Pack Trips Guided & Lost

Situational Awareness don't go some place you will get your ass kicked.
    Now if your in a state that you can get ccl get of the fence and get one problem solved.
    Which would you choose as a personal protection weapon?-capture1.258.png
    {GM Consulting Service}
    Revolutions Started, Lions Tamed,
    Assassinations Plotted, Bars Emptied,
    Governments Run, Widows Wooed,
    Uprisings Quelled, Wars Fought, Golf Matches Fixed,
    Pack Trips Guided & Lost

CCW, but I always keep a good folder on me when I am not carrying.

I will say, a few nights ago I was at winco doing my shopping and this thugged out guy walked by the ramen soups begging his girl to buy him one. I was looking at him more in empathy as I felt that type of pain. He saw me but did not understand this. He flashed his pocket at me which I saw a bright orange and silver folder. Well, mine is a recon by Cold Steel, its black and tucks into my pocket nicely with a clip to keep it at the ready. Easy to get to, quick to flip to ready and no one sees it so I scare no one. THIS GUY however, looked like a freak and I was uncomfortable. Lets say Threat Level Orange on this guy. I wish I had my gun to bring to that knife fight....

If your in a hand to hand situation all your defenses have already failed and you are in deep doo doo already. Be prepared to fight to the death and hope for the best. As some say "walk softly but be prepared to kill every SOB in the room", period. See a threat = stop the threat before they stop you. Being legal means shit if you died.

A hand gun should only be used to get you to your long gun which will have much better stopping power, pray you get what you need in time.
    Last edited by ekim; 01-23-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    If a gun is not an option then I would carry wasp spray. It will shoot over 20 feet and it will blind a person if you hit them in the eyes. They will stay blinded until they get medical attention. A stun gun works but only at close range and the baton is just a stick that will be taken from an untrained user and used to beat him/her to death.
    I feel that if the weapon you are using requires that you are within one or two steps of your opponent then you are likely to die. If you have to be within three to five steps you are likely to be seriously injured. If you can effectively use your weapon beyond six steps from your opponent then you can use the weapon and get away. You could stick around to finish your opponent off but you then risk injury or death.

This assumes that your opponent does not have a gun either.
    I was thinking this may be a very good Ideal until I looked it up on the internet and found there was two Urban Legends about it, but there is no actually known case of someone using it for self defense.
    Copy and pasted
    One reader who accidentally received a dose of wasp spray while using it around his home told me he was surprised at how little irritation he felt. "A gust of wind caused a good splash of the spray to come right back into my right eye," he wrote. "I panicked and started to run to a source of water, only to find there was no adverse reaction at all, no more than being squirted with a water pistol. It took me at least ten seconds to get to the water, and I rinsed it off, and never felt anything from it."

I do know that wasp spray uses insecticides that work on insects like a powerful nerve agent and scrambles their brain signals but has little effect on people. But it does contain petroleum distillates that I would not want to get into my eyes and has good range. I would just like to have some real proof of it's effectiveness before I would think of it as a self defense item.
    Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 01-23-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Original_Prep View Post
    Hello all. I am in debate on which item, other than a knife, to which I may be able to protect myself in close hand-hand combat. Two options I am considering are a collapsible baton or a small handheld stun gun. Both have there ups and downs.

The baton is light weight and doesn't need to be charged what so ever. Also, it might be able to be better concealed on persons due to its lower profile (in my opinion).

Now, the stun gun is very effective when in really close quarters and can put the assailant down with one strike. It does have some limited factors though. First, it needs to have a charge. This may limit my options when carrying. For example: say I needed to bug out, and don't have it charged, or don't have any means to get it charged. What then? Second, it is a little bit bulkier than the Baton.

With all that, I was just wondering what everyones preferences are? Which would you choose over the other and why? Do you have any other options for EDC protection?

Thank you for any comments or constructive criticism. Will surely use anything I can squeeze out of you all.

Original Prep
    Best to stay away from close quarters IMO...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links