Poorman's SHTF Loadout?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Poorman's SHTF Loadout?

This is a discussion on Poorman's SHTF Loadout? within the Personal Protection, Gear, Mods, Accessories forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; This is a gear layout that I have made myself, might work for some, especially when on a budget. The principals/purpose of this gear is ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Poorman's SHTF Loadout?

Poorman's SHTF Loadout?

This is a gear layout that I have made myself, might work for some, especially when on a budget. The principals/purpose of this gear is to give you basic protection and combat (if necessary) efficiency while being under 500 dollars. Most of the items are from cheaper than dirt, however most items can be found elsewhere. I have a couple variations for cheapest,cheap, and budget. I am not the best prepper, not the most skilled, so I would love some CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM
    So that I could revise this some I could help myself, and perhaps others.

Cheapest layout:
    Type 53 mosin nagant -120.00 avg.
    Flektarn camo Flak vest 40.00 avg.
    Steel Helmet (m71 swiss, m40 russian, m1 American, etc) 30.00-45.00 avg
    440 round can of surplus 7.62x54r- 120.00 avg.
    320.00 avg Total
    Cheap layout:
    M91/30 mosin nagant 120.00-150.00 avg
    10 Stripper Clips- 15.00 avg
    Sks sever pocket chest rig- 10.00 avg.
    335.00 avg total
    Budget Layout:
    M44 mosin nagant 150.00 avg.
    10 Stripper Clips- 15.00 avg
    Sks sever pocket chest rig- 10.00 avg.
    AR500 steel plate 10x12 65.00 avg.
    400.00 avg total
    nechaev and BigCheeseStick like this.

Senior Member R.I.P.

Not really sure that was thought out well. Flak vest for what? Having incoming motor or artillery rounds?
    Fuzzee and rickkyw1720pf like this.

Good start. Throw in a handgun, holster, etc, and some food and first aid stuff, along with water, and knife, a back pack and a few other essentials. This represents a good start.
    BigCheeseStick likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I like the approach if you are really on a tight budget. It's easy to say just save your money until you can afford better equipment but I know people who would have to make real sacrifices to come up with 400 - 500 bucks so having something that works is much better than not having at all.

If the list were mine I would reconsider the helmet and the flak jacket. Any rifle round is likely to defeat them, and if you have ever worn a kevlar helmet you will shudder at the thought of having to wear steel. I'd drop them from your "Cheap" list and get it down to around $240 then add something like an surplus Argus 9mm (time to break out the flame retardant underwear, lol) and you are still under $500.

Of course, security is a moot point without shalter, water, and food but I believe your inventory in trained hands will stand up against most of the untrained population so long as you aren't facing numbers. It's a damn shame the days of the $100 SKS is a thing of the past.
    Last edited by Rigged for Quiet; 09-10-2013 at 03:39 AM. Reason: spelng erurs
    oldmurph58 likes this.
    "You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas". Davey Crockett

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    Poorman's shtf loadout I'd say is a 10/22, a couple of bricks and a serviceable pair of shoes to run from anyone who's better armed.
    roy, Pir8fan, Prepadoodle and 4 others like this.

Another vote against flak jacket and helmet. If you already have them they can be useful as conditioning tools. However in a firefight a bullet through the zipper means you will die wearing the jacket. If you perceive a need for it snaps only.
    [email protected] likes this.

Since I'm not bugging out, . . . my loadout is my main battle rifle, . . . 30 to 60 rounds of ammo, . . . my super softee quiet shoes, . . . camo shirt, britches, hat, . . . and enough dirt on my face and hands that I can't be seen.

We are talking of a scouting trip around the outside perimeter of my AO. Would love to have a kevlar skid lid and some serious body armor, . . . but there are a whole bunch of other things I think that have a more important role in my home defense plan.

But if you gotta go, . . . the OP list might get him through, . . . but he needs a 1911 in there some where.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    oldmurph58 likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Whats wrong with wearing your kit its like everything else wear it enough and it becomes a second skin.

roy

Quote Originally Posted by ApexPredator View Post
    Whats wrong with wearing your kit its like everything else wear it enough and it becomes a second skin.
    You might notice that special ops don't wear any of that crap unless they are assaulting a target. Do you plan on attacking someone?
    Fuzzee and Doomsday like this.

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    Holding down the homefront or BOL is one thing. You're there, you can wear what you want when you want if you've got it. Bugging out, cover distance, is a whole other thing. Weight, freedom of movement, staying cool, and making your supplies last. Not a chance in hell am I wearing my bullet proof vest to bug out in. I sweat a couple gallon wearing it without a pack and other gear. I can see myself, 5 miles down the road, a walking wet towel soaked to the bone in sweat, canteen and bladder run dry, looking for more water, cursing the world, looking to shoot someone to take it out on. To hell with a flak jacket and helmet unless your in a controlled situation where you can take it off later and not be leaving it on the side of a tree.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links