Poorman's SHTF Loadout? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Poorman's SHTF Loadout?

This is a discussion on Poorman's SHTF Loadout? within the Personal Protection, Gear, Mods, Accessories forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; lol Roy check out SF operators they do in fact wear them they may not even like it. I dont mind it all but command ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Poorman's SHTF Loadout?

lol Roy check out SF operators they do in fact wear them they may not even like it. I dont mind it all but command forces us to do it all the same. I can vouch for this personally and whats more they do wear them on long movements you may check the EIB ruck standards if you dont believe me. Some SOF snipers will argue very well that armor interferes with their accuracy but modern plate carriers do not greatly affect it in my opinion. As for attacking someone all plates are a defensive option, if I was on the offensive I would count on surprise or a prepared position to give me protection. If you say CQB I would say doesnt matter some form of call out would happen if it was me. Plates will force a Sniper to try and make a head shot or pelvic if they are smart. I am not a sniper but I do know how to shoot and know several snipers. Head shots are hard at any range throw in wind humidity moving target etc and your chances go down and down and down a good way to increase those chances of a hit is to aim center mass plates negate the initial round which is usually the most accurate then you gotta deal with a target scrambling for cover after you knocked him to the ground. Also worthy of consideration is survival after the fact even civil war doctors could often save a arm or leg wound but chest/abdominal shots were almost always fatal. Sorry the Spec ops comment struck a little nerve you should at least read someones profile page.

roy

What do EIB standard have to do with it? I was on a LRRP/LRS team for 15 years. If the government comes after you it doesn't matter what kind of defenses you have. Ever see a D6 Cat go out the back of a C5?

Not sure where the GOVT came into but yes obviously someone in the possession of nuclear weapons is prolly gonna be able to take out your house. I think we are talking about other people not organizations any organization can over come a well fortified individual. EIB 12 mile road march in kit plus your ruck (45lbs dry) kinda says something about not being able to carry it for long distances I think. So what does a D6 have to do with it. I really am curious about that I would also like to hear your comments on the plates AR500 steel plates only weigh 6-7 lbs and only cost about 65-80 dollars pair it with a cheap and I mean cheap plate carrier at 20-40 or a surplus one at about the same price and while not as cheap as flak jackets I could see them being a cheap alternative that provides the level of protection this guy is seeking.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member R.I.P.

Rather then spending what I think would be a waste of money on a helmet & flak vest, you might consider a canteen & knife or chopping tool. Poncho can come in handy also.
    Doomsday likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigged for Quiet View Post
    I like the approach if you are really on a tight budget. It's easy to say just save your money until you can afford better equipment but I know people who would have to make real sacrifices to come up with 400 - 500 bucks so having something that works is much better than not having at all.

If the list were mine I would reconsider the helmet and the flak jacket. Any rifle round is likely to defeat them, and if you have ever worn a kevlar helmet you will shudder at the thought of having to wear steel. I'd drop them from your "Cheap" list and get it down to around $240 then add something like an surplus Argus 9mm (time to break out the flame retardant underwear, lol) and you are still under $500.

Of course, security is a moot point without shalter, water, and food but I believe your inventory in trained hands will stand up against most of the untrained population so long as you aren't facing numbers. It's a damn shame the days of the $100 SKS is a thing of the past.
    $100.00 SKS's? I remember when you could buy them for $40-50.00. Yeah, I'm that old.
    jimb1972 likes this.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by StarPD45 View Post
    $100.00 SKS's? I remember when you could buy them for $40-50.00. Yeah, I'm that old.

I bought two rifles and a case of ammo for under $100 when I got mine. I figured it would be a fun 22 LR replacement - cheap ammo was throw away but it turned out my 22's were more accurate.

Mod Squad

I would be tempted to forget the flak jacket and just go with a cheap plate carrier and an AR500 plate in the front, but would probably forget the body armor, get some inexpensive optics, and plan on longer range sniping from a network of prepared, concealed positions that would cover likely routes of advance. If you spent $50 on sandbags, you could have the protection without having to lug it around.

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

If the list were mine I would reconsider the helmet and the flak jacket.

I thought this once, until one of my corrected me by saying that the first round that the vest absorbed would be worth the price of the vest
    “If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.” ― John Steinbeck.

A steel helmet won't stop a bullet anyway, unless you expect to be exposed to a lot of shrapnel it isn't going to do you much good. Kevlar helmet might stop one, but unless you are willing to train with it on and wear it very frequently it is probably going to be more hindrance than help. Flak jacket falls into about the same category as the helmet, good for shrapnel but probably not going to stop a bullet from a rifle. I would worry more about water, shelter and food than tactical accessories

a steel helmet could stop a bullet. of course i would hesitate to puta NIJ rating on it because its not made for it, but lookey this of course it wont stop bullets well, and it'll have to be a small caliber.
    Arizona Infidel likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links