Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

How Do You Store Your Ammo?

14K views 74 replies 45 participants last post by  Urinal Cake 
#1 ·
I buy in bulk quantity for several calibers. All of my ammo is then transferred into ammo cans and labeled with a silver sharpie. What's your favorite method of storage?

#3 · (Edited)
IF....I had any ammo...

I'd store some in a 24 gun cheap safe that I'd get at The Tractor Supply, some in plastic 50 cal sized ammo cans that Cabelas used to give away free if you bought 1000 rounds or more, some in metal 50 cal sized cans that I'd buy at surplus stores and some in various places around the house, vehicle and land (in sealed PVC pipe.

IF..

#9 ·
I use ammo cans and OME packaging. I put it in old freezers with a Remington Dehumidifier. You must make sure the old freezers is dry and not one that has in the walls soaked. it work every well. The up right makes getting to stuff you need easy to get to .
On advantage to steel is corrosion will find a home just they way it works it will over many years find the cans first .
Just something to think about , I have a bunch of pre 1950 30-06 in the boxes it can in cardboard , that is a as good today as the day it was made.

#22 ·
Hillary's version of the brown shirts will not be a willing excepted as the last group.

#13 ·
Wait, we are supposed to be storing ammo???? Why wasn't I informed about this? Well, now that I know................ I guess I will store it in clearly marked plastic ammo cans and stack them according to size in a large cool closet as well as have a few boxes discretely positioned throughout the house. I guess I could have loaded magazines stacked in a safe and in a closet as well. PVC pipe you say Slippy? Mmmmmmmm.

#14 ·
I have two stack-on ammo boxes mounted to my wall " full" , I have a stack-on 14 gun cabinet with 6= 30 cal ammo boxes full at the bottom .

#16 · (Edited)
All weapons are loaded, and whatever magazines I have are loaded too. Then whatever can/boxes ammo comes in, is what it stays in.
ANd when my big safe is delivered this week, it will all be put in that safe.

#21 ·
If the ammo is in cardboard boxes keep it that way. Put the cardboard boxes in a metal ammo can. The U.S. military does it this way. Additionally, the cardboard boxes will have a lot number on them which may be important to know if there is a safety recall of ammo.

#24 ·
This is for quick access stuff it works very well if you do it right. At first I did not think it would hold much. Those shelves hold a lot of weight. I was shocked as I kept adding to it.
Shelving Gas Shelf Electronic device Machine

#28 ·
#29 ·
I had a bunch of .303 British, it was still in its original packing, about 80% of it fired, it was from 1913!!!

This also happened with 30/40 Kraig that I went through, I think the date was 1901.

I have about 5k of 8x57 with SS head stamp from WW2 that I use in my MG34, still runs good, virtually 100%.

All the above was well packed in its original packaging.

I still prefer our stuff in its wire bound crates.

Anything I pack has desiccant put in if it is in boxes or bandoliers.

Some packaging (boxes) are made with acid treated paper, any absorbed moisture will damage cases when coming into contact with it.

#30 ·
About 1991 I fired off a hundred rounds of 45 acp from ww2. Dad had it in the basement for years. It had been in my trunk for a few years and had antifreeze spilled over it soaking the cardboard boxes. No misfires or other issues. Dad had kept it in the basement.

#34 ·
Looking over my shoulder I have plastic ammo cans, steel ammo cans, several spam cans from Mother Russia, the plain old boxes the ammo comes in when I run out of ammo cans and wooden crates with spam cans inside.

I prefer steel ammo cans but because mine are stored in a climate controlled room with big desiccants it doesn't really matter how they are stored. If I lost A/C for an extended period? All bets would be off.

#37 ·
A friend and fellow Officer died years ago. He was an IPSC shooter and avid reloader. He kept his ammo in the garage and after he passed his wife gave it all to me. Every bit of brass was discolored and had obvious signs of corrosion. I am sure it had been down there since the early 80's. It all shot fine, but down here in Dixie the humidity is a killer.

Same here John. 1000 per rifle and 500 per pistol. That is my minimum and pretty much where I stay.

Reactions: 8301
#39 · (Edited)
I got some stored in the closet and some in the chest of drawers..lol. Think I told this before but a pal and I decided to shoot his great Grandpas januine yellow boy in .38-40 one dark and whiskey laden night. The ammo was the same age as the gun..or real close. It looked totally crappy. It worked just fine. He kept it all under his bed in a gun case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.