who's the gas mask guru here?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on who's the gas mask guru here? within the Personal Protection, Gear, Mods, Accessories forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I'm looking to purchase 3 gas masks, and there's too many options to choose from. I need 2 of them to be adult medium, and ...

I'm looking to purchase 3 gas masks, and there's too many options to choose from. I need 2 of them to be adult medium, and 1 child. They HAVE TO HAVE a full-face viewing area; I won't wear anything with 2 separate eyepieces. I absolutely hated the masks I used in the service; too difficult to fire a rifle quickly and accurately with them on.

Here's something along the lines of the style I'm looking for:

Used is fine, as long as it's serviceable. If possible, I'd like to keep the cost (minus filters) down to $50 and under per unit. Ideally, the mask would have the filter unit either in the front, or off to the left side (don't want a filter on the right that will ruin a good cheek weld). Also, the availability and price of replacement filters will be a factor (don't want to have to purchase $100 filters for each unit...). And speaking of filters, I mainly want a few filters per unit capable of keeping CS and other gasses out, along with a NBC-capable filter for each.

Any suggestions on models or what to look for? I can find the info myself probably, but if someone's already been down this road, it would save me a lot of time.

look to where the biggest threat of chemical gas being used is at
    or where its been used the most
    look at scott pack mask and adapt filter system
    israel might have something you are looking for
    full view divers mask and properly made snorkle filter system might work for what you want
    good luck
    D"
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content [url]Hidden Content href="Hidden Content target="_blank">http://www.lignet.com/Home

It may be hard to find a gas mask with the full face that would be military approved because it would probably make it harder to make a good seal.
    Amazon has Israeli Civilian gas mask that use Nato filters that some might be interested in.
    Israeli Civilian Gas Mask w/ Nato Filter: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

If you have children you may be able to find Israeli gas mask to fit them, Israel has a very good Civilian survival program, I believe that their population get free gas mask.
    Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 12-16-2012 at 10:25 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I hate the way the Israeli masks fit... I settled on the MCU-2P. It looks like I'm going to purchase 3 adult, and I still have to find a child mask. The child mask will probably be Israeli; it will serve its purpose until he grows into one of the adult masks.

MCU-2P:

Several years ago they were selling surplus Russian childrens masks, I think CTD had them. I have a couple of them myself, they seem to be effective and take nato filters. If TSHTF a roll of duct tape could make a mask fit in a pinch.

The MCU-2AP is going to be about your best bet price wise. But be advised that they have serious fogging issues.

Dual lens masks may be more difficult to fire with, but they hold a seal much better when moving. The single lens masks tend to break seal from running around because they are less flexible because of the single lens (and are more susceptible to damage in your carrier because they are so ridged). So there is a give and take. Pick up an old M40A1 and throw a laser on your rifle. I figure it is better to have a more difficult time aiming than having the seal break and sucking in some bad stuff. Sighting with pistols is no more difficult regardless of what mask you are wearing.
    Last edited by Lattice; 12-17-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    “Every person's life is theirs by right. An individuals life can and must only belong to himself, no to any society or community, or he is then but a slave."

Quote Originally Posted by Lattice View Post
    Pick up an old M40A1 and throw a laser on your rifle.
    Hmm...I never thought about that; I'll have to consider it; the M40's and M17's are pretty reasonable these days. I've always thought that lasers on rifles were a bit gimmicky (other than IR lasers if there's a need), but this might be a worthwhile use. Do the commonly available units hold zero well enough?

There are a great many different types that are sound. But like everything, you get what you pay for. Brands like surefire and what not do hold a good zero.

Also, please note that there are differences between the MCU-2AP and the MCU-2P as well as the M40 and the M41-A1. Most notably the nose cups. They are made of a softer material and as such are much more comfortable to wear. So if someone tells you that what they are selling you is a 2AP or A1 and there is no serial number, and/or the nosecup is made of a hard black material then it is not a 2AP or A1. It would also behoove you to pick up a skull cap harness for whatever you get. They make wearing them for long periods much more bearable. Using the old harness will give you a splitting headache after about twenty minutes.

Personally I never really had a hard time using the sights on my rifle with the M40 or M40A1. It is all about technique. And even with a full face you are going to have to use it. You aren't going to beable to use your typical position and will with all the various model masks Ive used have to tilt the rifle some to be able to get sight picture. Using reflex sights makes it even easier.
    Last edited by Lattice; 12-17-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    “Every person's life is theirs by right. An individuals life can and must only belong to himself, no to any society or community, or he is then but a slave."

Well apparently, eBay doesn't like people selling gas masks. I bid on 2 MCU-2P masks, both listed by separate people, and eBay yanked both listings. I checked on my account today to see if I was still the high bidder and got the following response from eBay for both listings:

"Thanks for your interest in this listing:

170960865477 - MCU/2P Gas Mask

We're sorry to tell you that the item isn't available for purchase anymore. We removed the listing because it likely fell into one of these three categories:

-- The listing doesn't follow eBay guidelines.
    -- The item isn't allowed on eBay or can only be listed under certain conditions.
    -- The listing contains pictures or words that may have violated copyright or trademark rights.

This is disappointing for everyone, but sometimes it's an action we have to take to protect you as a buyer."

Annoying at best, and a little disturbing at the same time...

Not pretty but may get you by in a pinch if a gas mask isn't available.

DIY Gas Mask
    Kleenex may work also as they were original developed during WW-1 to be used in gas mask filters.

Sponsored Links