Bullet proof shield - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bullet proof shield

This is a discussion on Bullet proof shield within the Personal Protection, Gear, Mods, Accessories forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Originally Posted by tinkerhell how thin and what type of steel would likely stop a .308? once you know that, get something about 100% better. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Bullet proof shield

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerhell View Post
    how thin and what type of steel would likely stop a .308?

once you know that, get something about 100% better.
    This is the funny thing... Ive read from other shooters over the years you need heavy AR plate. Yet others claim even very thin steel will stop most bullets if properly heat treated...
    On that note ive seen a .308 go through some thick steel plate like butter while not making a scratch on some random paper thin stuff.
    I would like to get a few samples of various steels, heat treated, abrasion resistant and so on to test for myself but then its a matter of cost lol.

Our ballistic shield was heavy, but all joking aside it was far lighter than steel would be. It used the same Kevlar that ballistic walls use.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    This is the funny thing... Ive read from other shooters over the years you need heavy AR plate. Yet others claim even very thin steel will stop most bullets if properly heat treated...
    On that note ive seen a .308 go through some thick steel plate like butter while not making a scratch on some random paper thin stuff.
    I would like to get a few samples of various steels, heat treated, abrasion resistant and so on to test for myself but then its a matter of cost lol.
    I don't know what I am talking about, but I've seen youtube videos of AR and AK rounds travelling through the side of a car and still having enough power to punch through a 3/4" sheet of plywood. So I'm not so sure that I would trust thin steel.

I suppose you could always test it at the shooting range with a couple hundred rounds.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerhell View Post
    i don't know what i am talking about, but i've seen youtube videos of ar and ak rounds travelling through the side of a car and still having enough power to punch through a 3/4" sheet of plywood. So i'm not so sure that i would trust thin steel.

I suppose you could always test it at the shooting range with a couple hundred rounds.
    Car doors are nothing for 30 cal rifle rounds, that is what armor plate is for.
    I have seen armor plate 18 inches thick burned through with 120mm heat rounds, not in pictures but face to face..
    Face hardened high nickel armor 3/8" thick will stop an m80 round.
    The high-y 100 is used to make the hulls of our nuke subs and is extreemly tough.
    3/4" hrs @ 90 deg. will stop m80 and 1/2" face hard hrs @ 90 deg. will stop m80 also.
    The plate composition and heat treating is what is important.
    Where do you think all the nickle in the country went during ww2? Into armor plate for tanks to battleships.
    Blackcat and Mosinator762x54r like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    Thinking about this home invasion thing.
    My bed is a bit difficult to hide behind. Actaually other than paper thin walls I really have nothing to put between myself and a potential shooter, becides the cat.
    I was thinking about those full body riot shields the police and swat wear.
    A smaller version that will stop or at least offer some protection from common calibers.
    Like a semi light half body possibly collapsible shield a person could shine a tactical light through and return fire from. Sort of thing that could store under a bed or in a closet.

Material ideas if this is possible ?
    OK, . . . lets discuss this scenario:

Most bedrooms have 1 door in, . . . 1 door out, . . . often times another door to the bathroom that is part & parcel to said bedroom.

If you can, . . . put your armor in / behind / or in front of that bathroom wall, . . . then you can retreat inside, . . . and wait for him to come to you.

ALSO, . . . put your bed on wheels, . . . you hear the bad guy coming in, . . . roll the bed up against the door. If he don'e know where you are, . . . he can't shoot you. You can sit on the floor on the other end, . . . with your back against the bed, . . . he'll never push the door open.

Buy and install high density, solid core, wood doors. The ones I have will stop up to and including .223.

Position your gun safe so when the door is standing open, . . . you are behind it, . . . bedroom door is on the other side away from you. This is my scenario, . . . I can stand there and exchange fire, . . . reload, . . . change weapons, . . . right out of my safe, . . . so long as he don't shoot my feet :miserable:

Mostly, . . . don't get stuck on doing the Sir Valiant thingy with the shield, . . . too many wrong things can happen, . . . many better ideas around.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    OK, . . . lets discuss this scenario:

Most bedrooms have 1 door in, . . . 1 door out, . . . often times another door to the bathroom that is part & parcel to said bedroom.

If you can, . . . put your armor in / behind / or in front of that bathroom wall, . . . then you can retreat inside, . . . and wait for him to come to you.

ALSO, . . . put your bed on wheels, . . . you hear the bad guy coming in, . . . roll the bed up against the door. If he don'e know where you are, . . . he can't shoot you. You can sit on the floor on the other end, . . . with your back against the bed, . . . he'll never push the door open.

Buy and install high density, solid core, wood doors. The ones I have will stop up to and including .223.

Position your gun safe so when the door is standing open, . . . you are behind it, . . . bedroom door is on the other side away from you. This is my scenario, . . . I can stand there and exchange fire, . . . reload, . . . change weapons, . . . right out of my safe, . . . so long as he don't shoot my feet :miserable:

Mostly, . . . don't get stuck on doing the Sir Valiant thingy with the shield, . . . too many wrong things can happen, . . . many better ideas around.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    This is also true. Theres quite a bit for me to consider in this situation. My room is small amd the bed not really moveable or flipableits rather wedged in a corner. This is a really old mobilhome so walls like paper. It occures to me... If there was shooting in my room anyway theres one of those huge household use propane tanks just outside my bedroom wall. So really now that I think about it in detil im a bit trapped hmmmm.

Thats sort of why I was thinking of a shield mostly. If I need to make a quick move there isnt a whole lot here that would offer any protection.

bum rush the bastage . a shield, really?
    oops

Banned

Like the Maginot Line in France during WW2 a shield is very easy to go around, especially if you don't have time to get behind it I'd instead suggest a motion or door alarm to wake and alert you of an intrusion giving you time to not be surprised.
    A shotgun combined with a pepper spray bomb tossed down the hall makes for a dandy defense. I understand your bedroom walls aren't bulletproof but they still won't be bullet proof with you standing behind a shield with the wall to your back.

Banned

early detection and warning of an intruder might have more value than a shield.

If you are awake, armed, and hiding, it would be very hard for someone to sneak up on you.

Plus lets face it, if there is a SWAT-like team coming after you, surrendering would be a better option than a shield.
    Mosinator762x54r likes this.

Something I forgot, . . . shotshells for a handgun.

Many calibers have a shotshell variation for them.

.357 magnum, . . . .38 special, . . . .44 special, . . . .45ACP being the ones I personally know of.

They will not go out your trailer walls like a regular slug will, . . . they WILL make the perp turn the other cheek, especially if you shoot them in the face.

CAUTION, . . . they work best in a revolver, . . .

Light trap loads in a pump action shotgun is also an alternative for those having "sensitive" walls.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    8301 likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links