Here's what my wife and I did.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Here's what my wife and I did. within the Personal Protection, Gear, Mods, Accessories forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Much of the time we discuss possible scenarios on personal protection to better our chances of success and survival. I would like to offer what ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Deebo
  • 1 Post By SGG
  • 3 Post By Deebo
  • 1 Post By Deebo
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

Thread: Here's what my wife and I did.

Much of the time we discuss possible scenarios on personal protection to better our chances of success and survival. I would like to offer what my wife and I actually did.

For quite some time, probably +10 years, a woman named "Jen" was the manager of the bookstore we haunt. Consider that the "wild west days." You could be who you were, and if that meant guns and knives, so be it. Yes, Jen was 'officially' against this condition, but even she admitted she was hogtied by B&N's corporate rules.

These 'rules' were simply, "If a guy has money he can enter B&N."

Fast forward, Jen gets a better job and now "Woodie" is the manager simply because everyone else there is half his age. Woodie and I have a positive relationship, but now he had brass on his shoulders, so I took him aside. I wanted his confidence, not his anger.

As you all know, I never leave the house without a legal CCW handgun. The State of Wisconsin also prints a card similar to a credit card identifying the owner of the legal firearm. I carry this card with me at all times--trust me, I've been to jail.

You'll also know that I have two--and only two--pairs of crappy blue jeans. Both of them have handguns on them 24/7.

So here's what happened. Woodie told me that he 'suspected' my dress code and really didn't have a problem with it. Much of this stems from Jen's management, and also from the comments of the baristas. These workers admitted that with the food court's nonsense they felt safer with my wife and I drinking coffee in their cafe' while armed.

If you have a favorite hang-out, I suggest you do the same thing. In most cases the store owner or manager will be happy to have you and your honesty. Show him your permit, ask his advice. My guess is that you will always be welcomed as a patron.

Here's what my wife and I did.-dsc02886.jpg
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Not happening.
    I c/c EVERYWHERE, even in places it may be frowned upon.
    I have no responsibility to tell anyone, nor would I allow them the knowledge, that I am carrying.
    I open carry when I'm off work, and get tired of ankle carry, or wanna wear shorts and carry my M&P 9MM.
    SGG and NewRiverGeorge like this.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

SGG

Yeah, no...I'm not telling anyone I'm concealed carrying
    NewRiverGeorge likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

What I carry, when I carry it, and where I carry is nobody’s business. I’m sure as hell not gonna brag to some mall food court waitress or some bookstore manager that I’m carrying a gun. Seriously dude?

deleted...... double post

Well, I understand the motives you guys demand. In my case it was open and shut.

I've been a patron there for decades. All my friends carry, and we congregate there to drink coffee and we openly discuss our new carry guns. Remember, it's not illegal to carry gun in places not posted, but experience has taught me 20 libtards will run out of the cafe' if they just hear the word "gun."

Now that a new manager is at the helm, we just had an adult conversation. I would have done the same thing if I had to offer, "Can I park my bike there?"

The 'rules' change when you know and befriend a manager of a business. He doesn't own the place, but he sure will be held accountable if something goes wrong. I now know his parameters, and he knows my intentions. The rules are quite reasonable.

They do not permit "open carry." All firearms/knives must be carried concealed. Period. Easy-peasy, we're buddies.

...remember, guys, this is Madison...

To each his own. I refuse to allow the GOVT to sell me a permit, that allows me what was already mine, so therefore, I am not completely legal...IF you know what I mean. I need no one knowing that I CC. NM does allow for CC in a vehicle, and you are not obligated to inform even an officer of the law that you are CC.
    As far as anyone else, SCREW THEM

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    NM does allow for CC in a vehicle, and you are not obligated to inform even an officer of the law that you are CC.
    As far as anyone else, SCREW THEM
    Oh, I understand the angst. When the Wisconsin CCW permit came up for a legislative vote numerous gun owners took the microphone and demanded "just who in hell made CCW illegal to begin with!"

But let's be honest, if you read "The Bill of Rights" you'll know that those protections do not exist as an "I can do anything I want" guaranty. It's a cogent writ of boundaries. Up until two or three years ago you could carry a liberated Nazi Luger but not a switchblade. The wheels of justice move slowly, but they move.

Another wrinkle. In Wisconsin, if you dig in your heels and tell the officer "you'll carry what you like" you'll find yourself arrested and possibly stripped of all your choices to carry anything. A CCW beef is a misdemeanor, going toe-top-toe with a cop might be a felony.

Do you know why there are so few old bikers? It's because there's a time to fight and a time to close your yap.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Oh, I understand the angst. When the Wisconsin CCW permit came up for a legislative vote numerous gun owners took the microphone and demanded "just who in hell made CCW illegal to begin with!"

But let's be honest, if you read "The Bill of Rights" you'll know that those protections do not exist as an "I can do anything I want" guaranty. It's a cogent writ of boundaries. Up until two or three years ago you could carry a liberated Nazi Luger but not a switchblade. The wheels of justice move slowly, but they move.

Another wrinkle. In Wisconsin, if you dig in your heels and tell the officer "you'll carry what you like" you'll find yourself arrested and possibly stripped of all your choices to carry anything. A CCW beef is a misdemeanor, going toe-top-toe with a cop might be a felony.

Do you know why there are so few old bikers? It's because there's a time to fight and a time to close your yap.

So you HONESTLY think the writers of the Bill of Rights openly carried their weapons, outside their coats and jackets, for rain and dirt and mud to compromise them?
    I do know that WHEN you allow the State of NM to sell you a certificate stating you can conciel, you open yourself up to felonies that are misdemenors for anyone else.
    You my friend, speak of "closing your yap", yet you told a manager of a book store that you are CC. Granted, I'm sure you weighed the discussion out, and I am also sure that it was harmless. I am glad you choose to CC.
    Having lost my rights once, I WILL NOT LOOSE THEM AGAIN.
    1skrewsloose likes this.

Deebo, there are fifty states, and my guess is that the written legislative parameters differ in almost every case. In Alaska you can be pretty much arrested for NOT having a firearm, but I hear that even Texas is going to "peruse" their firearms statutes.

Wisconsin is one of those "feast and/or famine" states. Oh, you're a valued honest and honorable citizen--until you pull that trigger. Sure, where I live they will ask you nicely to "come down to the station for a statement," but I've been handcuffed and had soft melodies sung to me before.

I had a local officer in my home who told me flat out that if I took a life--even a known criminal loose in my own home without permission--I would still be taken to the station.

I might wrinkle my nose at the very thought, but many of us live in suburbia now, and not many of the rest live in Dodge City.
    Annie likes this.

Sponsored Links