Defense from active shooters
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Defense from active shooters within the Personal Protection, Gear, Mods, Accessories forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Most on this site are like me. For those that aren't, this still might be an idea worth entertaining. If you're like me, you have ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Kauboy
  • 1 Post By Kauboy
  • 1 Post By Kauboy

Thread: Defense from active shooters

Most on this site are like me. For those that aren't, this still might be an idea worth entertaining.

If you're like me, you have a deep-rooted respect for the constitution, and the rights protected therein. As a result of this, you too refuse to give credence to the notion that law-abiding citizens should have their rights inhibited to appease politicians and the frightened masses. Punishing the law-abiding for the actions of the criminal is nonsensical. Thus, giving up our right to bear arms, ANY ARMS, is unacceptable as a solution to the perceived problem of active shooters. Colion Noir likens it to putting a muzzle on all theater attendees to ensure no one yells "fire". Not a reasonable solution, right?

I say all that to ask this. Since we will not be disarmed, how do we go about ensuring our own safety should the worst happen? Many choose to carry a firearm for their own defense. I choose this too.
    However, I have chosen to take it even further. As many "professionals" in the defensive/offensive shooting world will attest, "not getting shot is more important than shooting the bad guy." I agree.

For the past year or so, I've been carrying a mid-sized sling style bag with me with various items to render first aid in the event that such aid is needed. It primarily covers massive bleeding, but there are some other special things in there for other circumstances. About half a year ago, I upgraded the flat plates in my "end of the world" plate carrier to curved plates. So I had two extra flat plates, and realized one of them could fit in this mid-sized bag. As bags tend to do, this one became heavy and cumbersome. I found myself leaving it in the truck more than having it with me. (useless at that point) I decided to trim the fat, and knew that just reducing the bag's contents wasn't going to do it in the long run. I needed to restrict myself from being able to put more crap in there.

So, I "downgraded" my EDC bag to a Maxpedition "Valence", 10L model. It was 50% off (and still is as of the time of this post), so the timing was right. I did a bit of searching before buying and found that this size would accept one of my flat 10"x12" armor plates. It arrived today, and I could not be happier.
    Defense from active shooters-valgry1_1200_1024x1024.jpg

The design allows for quick on and off, and when worn backwards on the chest, perfectly covers my vitals, just as if the plate was in my carrier.
    The weight is far more manageable because I can't fill the thing with junk. I still have room for first aid supplies, but I'm not lugging around my phone charger junk, my Morakniv, lockpicks, SAM splint, ground cover, and a bunch of other stuff that just adds weight. That bag will stay in the truck, as it is still useful, but this one I will now actually carry.
    It has the added bonus of looking completely plain, and I will use it as a laptop bag for work as well. Since my office restricts carry, this will at least give me some form of real defense if a workplace incident should unfold. At least enough to get to my truck and retrieve my gun.

In the event of a public shooting, this will become my defense. When shots ring out, I send the family to the nearest exit, switch this to chest carry, draw, and go to work.
    For those less inclined to move toward the danger, this can remain on the back as you move to your nearest exit. It will still cover your vitals as you make your escape.

Has anyone else developed a plan for active and real defense such as this?
    Last edited by Kauboy; 08-10-2019 at 08:46 PM.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

I've seen where people use their camelback's in similar fashion, I keep a plate carrier with me in the truck, it has a medical kit and an actual IFAK with certain additives. Granted it does me no good, per say in an office environment, nor a crowded area where it would not be feasible to wearing a plate carrier. This is a great idea though, armor, medical supplies and possible firearm in one nondescript and overlooked package.
    A man never truly knows how good he is with a gun until that gun is his last resort to live.

“Everything's fine today… that is our illusion.” – Voltaire

One cannot appreciate the light until you have seen the darkness

Super Moderator

Nice @Kauboy . I carry a bag that's very similar in size and shape to this. What plate carrier do you use? Do you have a link?
    Last edited by Annie; 08-11-2019 at 07:42 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have been giving this some thought as well @Kauboy . I carry more of a briefcase then a backpack to work but I have noticed more and more people carrying backpack type bags for work so it makes sense.

We can carry at work but most of the guys keep them in their packs. Me and one other guy are the only ones that I know of that actually have a gun on them at all times. So, I have been thinking along the lines of what you are doing but never considered a plate. Thanks for the insight. I have a plate carrier and GHB in the truck, but they don't do much good if I am in the building and they are in my truck in the parking lot.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

What happens when the gun-grabbers expand their ban to body armor?
    It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and politicians have to start selling candy bars and holding car washes to finance their campaigns.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Nice @Kauboy . I carry a bag that's very similar in size and shape to this. What plate carrier do you use? Do you have a link?
    If you truly mean my plate carrier, being the full over the chest and back rig that holds 2 plates and my gear, then it is an AR500.com "Veritas". I got it on a Black Friday special for $150 when they first introduced them. Came with flat standard plates, mag pouches, and a pistol holster. I've since upgraded to curved plates for comfort and added the cummerbund kit to increase comfort and optional locations for lashing equipment.
    Last edited by Kauboy; Yesterday at 01:10 AM.
    Annie likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    I have been giving this some thought as well @Kauboy . I carry more of a briefcase then a backpack to work but I have noticed more and more people carrying backpack type bags for work so it makes sense.

We can carry at work but most of the guys keep them in their packs. Me and one other guy are the only ones that I know of that actually have a gun on them at all times. So, I have been thinking along the lines of what you are doing but never considered a plate. Thanks for the insight. I have a plate carrier and GHB in the truck, but they don't do much good if I am in the building and they are in my truck in the parking lot.
    I carried a shoulder strap laptop case for many years before they equipped us all with smaller notebooks. Now the large bag doesn't offer much in the way of secure transport for the smaller computer. So, I changed to the bag above.
    But, while I had my older one, I slid my flat plate into one of the pockets of that bag too. Lord did that thing get heavy. Had to be careful when putting it down on the desk, or it would make a loud *CLUNK* and people would start asking questions, haha.

I work from home most days, but will be going into the office later this week. I'll report back.
    This will at least give me *some* peace of mind, even if I'm not thrilled about being unarmed.
    Prepared One likes this.

I am not sure I would term this "active defense", but in absence of such, I think it is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by stevekozak View Post
    I am not sure I would term this "active defense", but in absence of such, I think it is a good idea.
    Fair enough.
    "Intentional defense".

I just ordered the mini version. I need something to carry my iPad in and it looks perfect.

As far as an active shooter goes, if I’m really close, I’m gonna pop a few caps at him. If I’m not close, I’m running like hell.

Maybe I’ll pull out my iPad and get a good video of it.

Sponsored Links