ballistic vest
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ballistic vest

This is a discussion on ballistic vest within the Personal Protection, Gear, Mods, Accessories forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I have seen many different types of ballistic vest brands in the world, and I was wondering if you had any ideas on what the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By James m

Thread: ballistic vest

ballistic vest

I have seen many different types of ballistic vest brands in the world, and I was wondering if you had any ideas on what the best brand would be?

I like the AR500 kits myself; but just make sure you order the right size plates for your body. Most of their vests are designed to protect your upper torso which is good in modern situations such as contract work. What makes this not the best for SHTF situation is that you can still take gut shots as they leave your to much of your belly exposed (at least in my opinion). If I take a gut shot now I will "hopefully" have fast and quick care from a CLS or medic in country and will likely walk away... without means to modern medicine or surgeons that chance just nose dived.

If you look at the plate carriers you can see where the plates fall on the body. My buddy just picked up a condor kit for use over here while I still utilize a older IBA style vest. We both primarily use our IOTVs when in uniform; but when in plain clothes we both picked our kits based on our body type (he has a smaller torso than I).

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

This seems to be a very popular brand. I seen their ads online, they come up frequently on slickguns, and they sponsor lots of podcasts.

Get them before they are banned! I think there is a bill in the works to get most body armor off of civilians hands.

Body Armor vs 50 Shotgun Slugs:

Very interesting. Fifty shotgun slugs.

I don't care how good their brand is, if it doesn't cover as much torso as possible, it's not going on my list. I don't have much guts left and I want to keep those in working order.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Is this a similar question to 9mm and 45acp?

No, I wasn't intending it to be a question like 9mm and .45, I have noe experience with vests at all, and was wanting some advice on them before i bought a cheap knockoff.

As for real advice, anybody on here been shot?
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

They all have trade offs, steel vs ceramics. Steel will be heavier but do not "expire" like ceramics are want to do. Ceramics will shatter, steel in a SHTF scenario should be repairable.

There are straight steel, coated steels, etc. I have heard there are some polymers that are available/being tested but the prices are outrageous!

Tons of companies making carriers in various "cuts". I like S&S Precision and Blue Force Gear personally. A company in Cali will custom make them for you.

Sponsored Links