Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Water Guns Full of Hot Sauce

16K views 74 replies 32 participants last post by  Spenser 
#1 ·
Anyone who knows me knows that I love my firearms. When it comes to self-defense, there really isn't anything better. I wouldn't advise any preppers to plan on not having them in SHTF. But there may be times when lethal force isn't advisable or required. In my group there would likely be people such as my very liberal sister in law and mom who would refuse to use firearms for their own stubborn reasons. There would also be young kids who wouldn't have any firearms experience and be too young to teach. Even if you stockpile lots and lots of bullets, during a long term TEOTWAKI situation bullets may eventually run out. There would also be the real prospect of gun confiscation in a long term civil conflict of any kind. For all these reasons, I think it makes sense to have some kind of nonlethal self-defense tech on hand.

Anyone who has used bear mace or pepper spray knows that they actually pose a threat to the user. In the wrong wind someone using spray could easily end up disabling their own vision and ability to fight back.

Water guns are cheap. You can get a decent one for ten bucks. Hot sauce in your eyes is just as disabling as pepper spray. It seems like stocking up on several restaurant sized bottles of hot sauce and enough water guns to arm a small army could be done for about a hundred bucks. Another great thing about hot sauce is that it is a renewable resource. The ghost pepper, one of the hottest peppers in the world, was developed by the Indian military to be used as a source of pepper spray. Peppers are easy to grow and produce prolifically. The capsaicin in the peppers acts as a natural preservative. Ghost pepper juice, due to it's incredibly high capsaicin content, will keep for the better part of a decade if stored properly. So as long as your water guns hold up, if you had a place to grow the peppers, you could have a renewable source of ammo and a lot of hot sauce, which will likely be a valuable trading commodity in SHTF. Nothing makes beans and rice taste better than some hot sauce.

It's likely that murder would remain a criminal offense even in a long term SHTF situation. The local governments would still do their best to prosecute and make examples of murderers. You can't ever get a murder or attempted murder charge for spraying someone with a water gun full of hot sauce. You could put a water gun in the hands of a small child and they would be way better off against attackers than if they remained unarmed.

Of course, in any kind of self-defense situation it is way preferable to have actual firearms at your disposal. But what about people who you don't trust enough to hand a firearm? In SHTF every person you give a firearm or bullets to could end up being a threat to you or your family. There could be someone with valuable skills, like a doctor, who you need in your group. You may encounter someone who you are moved to help for whatever reason. A water gun full of hot sauce would be a weapon you could put in their hands on day 1 and you could know that they could at least try to aid in defense if such a situation arose. Even if the government started confiscating guns, you could bet that they wouldn't be enacting water gun control.

See less See more
#2 ·
May not work well in below freezing temperatures. I am not arming anyone I do not trust with anything. They die, they die. You really need pepper spray for your mom and sister in law? In most imaginable SHTF situations if I have to use force, I have no intention of playing around.

#4 ·
OK now Jayhawker,

You just messin' with us!?!?

I've written and said some pretty stupid crap but for real? Not a good idea.

Thanks for listening,

Slippy!:vs_wave:

Anyone who knows me knows that I love my firearms. When it comes to self-defense, there really isn't anything better. I wouldn't advise any preppers to plan on not having them in SHTF. But there may be times when lethal force isn't advisable or required. In my group there would likely be people such as my very liberal sister in law and mom who would refuse to use firearms for their own stubborn reasons. There would also be young kids who wouldn't have any firearms experience and be too young to teach. Even if you stockpile lots and lots of bullets, during a long term TEOTWAKI situation bullets may eventually run out. There would also be the real prospect of gun confiscation in a long term civil conflict of any kind. For all these reasons, I think it makes sense to have some kind of nonlethal self-defense tech on hand.

Anyone who has used bear mace or pepper spray knows that they actually pose a threat to the user. In the wrong wind someone using spray could easily end up disabling their own vision and ability to fight back.

Water guns are cheap. You can get a decent one for ten bucks. Hot sauce in your eyes is just as disabling as pepper spray. It seems like stocking up on several restaurant sized bottles of hot sauce and enough water guns to arm a small army could be done for about a hundred bucks. Another great thing about hot sauce is that it is a renewable resource. The ghost pepper, one of the hottest peppers in the world, was developed by the Indian military to be used as a source of pepper spray. Peppers are easy to grow and produce prolifically. The capsaicin in the peppers acts as a natural preservative. Ghost pepper juice, due to it's incredibly high capsaicin content, will keep for the better part of a decade if stored properly. So as long as your water guns hold up, if you had a place to grow the peppers, you could have a renewable source of ammo and a lot of hot sauce, which will likely be a valuable trading commodity in SHTF. Nothing makes beans and rice taste better than some hot sauce.

It's likely that murder would remain a criminal offense even in a long term SHTF situation. The local governments would still do their best to prosecute and make examples of murderers. You can't ever get a murder or attempted murder charge for spraying someone with a water gun full of hot sauce. You could put a water gun in the hands of a small child and they would be way better off against attackers than if they remained unarmed.

Of course, in any kind of self-defense situation it is way preferable to have actual firearms at your disposal. But what about people who you don't trust enough to hand a firearm? In SHTF every person you give a firearm or bullets to could end up being a threat to you or your family. There could be someone with valuable skills, like a doctor, who you need in your group. You may encounter someone who you are moved to help for whatever reason. A water gun full of hot sauce would be a weapon you could put in their hands on day 1 and you could know that they could at least try to aid in defense if such a situation arose. Even if the government started confiscating guns, you could bet that they wouldn't be enacting water gun control.

#6 ·
Well I can't say I'm surprised at the general reaction. LOL. I haven't seen that particular doomsday prepper episode. Obviously real guns are preferable, but I honestly do think this idea has some merit. You need a backup plan for your backup plan. If this was someone's primary plan I would laugh, but it's a backup plan. This post is not a troll. I really think it isn't a horrible idea to have some water guns and hot sauce around. Even if not for defense, hot sauce will be highly sought after during any long term food shortages. So if you've got a bunch of hot sauce anyway, why not have some water guns? That being said, I of course expected a bit of heehawing at this.

#10 ·
I'm not going to poo poo the idea but I will say it would be my last resort.

As for the kids, I could already see them squirting each other. Then you have a bunch of crying kids to beat...uh I mean, deal with.

If you're going to store hot sauce just be advised it does deteriorate over time. So you may load a water gun with hot sauce thinking it'll by you some time and really you're just hitting a bad guy in the eye with red water.

Reactions: Deebo
#15 ·
Not endorsing it, but if you really wanted to get sadistic with it you could always do like the muslims in Europe have gotten fond of doing and load it up with draino. That's some truly barbaric next level chemical warfare. Personally, I don't think I would want to burn the face off of even my worst enemy. They'd be getting the Mozambique drill long before I'd resort to draino. From a psyop perspective if dealing with a large group of hostile marauders camped nearby, it may potentially make sense. Once one guy came back with his face burned off the rest of the group would likely decide that it just isn't worth risking it. I probably wouldn't have the stomach for it, but potentially getting your face burned off and living the rest of your life deformed may be more of a deterrent than getting shot to death. I've heard in London that muslims are driving up on scooters with coffee cups full of the stuff and just throwing it in the faces of innocent passers by. It's hard for me to conceptualize a more evil crime. But depending on the situation the moral calculus may change if SHTF.

#19 ·
In all seriousness, I believe in the same "escalation of violence" the cops do. That being, if attacked, you move one step up the escalation list.

If grabbed or threatened to get hit with something, yes, I'd cut the attacker. Even though I work-out, I've reached the age of "disparity of force."

I've even purchased a special knife for this. Legal to carry, the blade is designed to slash or stab, and the handle is heavier than brass knuckles.

...oh, after that warning, there is the Kimber, too...

#21 ·
A squirt gun as a back up??? Nawww, I think if I run out of 5.56 I will switch to 308 or 9mm or 45 or 12 gauge.................

#22 · (Edited)

Good plan on the water pistol full of hotsauce. Straight ammonia also works well. The mailmen used to carry it back when I was a kid to fend off mean dogs. Now having clowned around with modern oleo resin capsicum pepper spray quite a bit it tends to come out in what is called a ballistic narow pencil stream..meanng its not bad about getting onto the wrong target. Now back in the old days we had some crap called Mace which was a tear gas derivative I think. It came out in a wide aresol spray which got on everybody involved. Fortuantely it wasnt very incapacitating.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mace_(spray)

#28 ·
I guess I'm the outlying boogyman here. For whatever reason, ***** come from miles around to crap on OUR roof... so much that it has to be regularly SHOVELED off, and the gutters clogged with **** poop as well. I see a **** on the roof, I don't squirt, spray, shout, or toss a balloon. They get jacklighted with a .22 rifle.

#30 ·
Most States would consider that a weapon. And treat it as any other pepper spray device . Get caught with it use it and not being in compliance with the law could get messy.

#32 ·
I tried mixing hot sauce and water to use on plants to prevent damage from deer. The mixture clogs the sprayer. It doesn't work. A complete waste of time and it ruins the sprayer.
Yea some stuff does not mix well. I tried zest soap as some recommended. Deer just figured it was bath time and all showed up.

#33 ·
To be honest, I'd check local laws, and then if it's legal, I would call Cold Steel and get some of their 8% gel spray.

I believe that "gray men" should have "gray toys." For example, I have a perfectly polished TOPS C.U.T. 4.0, and I'll never carry it. Oh, in the hands of a guy with the slightest bushido familiarity, he could easily kill everyone in a saloon. But the weapon would look "odd" to the police officers who would show up. Not good.

You put raspberry jelly and razor blades in Super Soaker and abrade the neighbor's pit bull, trust me, you'll go to jail.

I've purchased the Cold Steel gel for my wife and one of her friends. And while I 'modify' the edges of my knives for clients and personal use, they all look like what they are--jackknives. Now I finally found the folder that had it all, at a close-out section of my monthly catalog from Blue Ridge, and I bought two of them.

My wife has a common, manufactured product, and I have a jackknife. Let the screaming attacker come up with his own story.

#34 ·
Well as a faithful listener to all the gardening shows on the radio...the Dirt Doctor recommends hot pepper garlic tea to repell chewing bugs. Its not designed to scare off deer. Somebody musta been confused to think that. Or perhaps lingering too long over the wine. It dont plug the sprayer for them who knows how to make it right.
https://www.dirtdoctor.com/garden/Garlic-Pepper-Tea-Recipe_vq2545.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.