When I say it out loud, this sounds like a dumb question... Airgun for defense? - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

When I say it out loud, this sounds like a dumb question... Airgun for defense?

This is a discussion on When I say it out loud, this sounds like a dumb question... Airgun for defense? within the Personal Protection, Gear, Mods, Accessories forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Originally Posted by Kauboy While your eyebrow is still cocked, let me clarify.............Has anyone given any thought to this? Tell my I'm crazy. I'm a ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: When I say it out loud, this sounds like a dumb question... Airgun for defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    While your eyebrow is still cocked, let me clarify.............Has anyone given any thought to this?

Tell my I'm crazy. I'm a big boy. I'll get over it.
    Yes, Kauboy, . . . I have, . . . and NO you most definitely are not crazy.

I started thinking about this when I pondered the options I had if my primary CC was out of commission for a while.

My first option would be a .38 Colt Detective special, . . . and my wife would be defenseless, . . . bad idea.

Second option would be one of my Browning .22 semi auto pistols. 10 rounds in the face may not do the damage that 9 .45 ACP rounds would do to the torso, . . . but I'll just betcha he'll stand up and take notice, . . . especially when I load the second mag and if he is still being a pest, . . . I got ten more for him.

Which leads me to your question, . . . considering that the face is "per square inch" one of the most sensitive areas to touch or to pain, . . . I'm thinking a .177 air gun, . . . especially if it could crank out 20 or 30 pellets before it ran out of air, . . . could be a formidable deterrent to someone wanting to work you over.

AND, . . . if it had the "look" of a big bore pistol, . . . it might be enough to send the bad dude packing, . . . seeing as how most stick up artists are cowards to begin with.

It does make for a viable alternative, . . . especially if the locality has no law disallowing it. But if you really want an in-depth analysis, . . . send me one in 1911 form, . . . a couple of cases of CO2 tanks and a couple thousand pellets, . . . during the remainder of the summer, . . . I'll get some volunteers and some teenagers here to give you a really good analysis, . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Kauboy likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    While your eyebrow is still cocked, let me clarify...

I do NOT condone the use of an airgun as a primary means of self-defense if ANYTHING better is possible.

Now... on to my pondering. A video popped up in my YouTube feed with a guy who runs an airgun channel, giving his opinion on what airguns could be used as a defensive tool. He too does not believe such a gun should be a primary defensive option, but some situations make it less crazy.
    In Texas, an airgun is NOT considered a firearm. According to federal law, an airgun is NOT considered a firearm.
    I'll let your mind wander. (federal "gun free zones", businesses that prohibit the carry of firearms)

Being an upstanding and law-abiding Texan, I try my darnedest to avoid breaking the law. However, I do not appreciate when the law prohibits me from defending my own life in places where criminals like to frequent, knowing there is little chance they will meet resistance.
    With this in mind, what options do I have? Carry my otherwise legal firearm in a place that makes it an illegal act? Give up my right to self defense? Or find a creative option?

Enter, the high velocity airgun. (Replica CO2 Air Pistols)
    Some of these things are near 100% replicas of real firearms in look and feel, and some can deliver a round at nearly 500fps.

Due to these two elements, and the nice little fact that these guns are not legally considered to be firearms, is it crazy to think they could be employed as defensive tools in a situation where you would otherwise be prevented from carrying something more adequate? No, they likely won't cause a mortal wound. You'd have to be a damn good shot, or damn lucky, to whiz one right through the pupil. But still... 15-20 shots, at 500fps, landing on or about the face of a crazy person. Is it better than nothing? Is it better than OC spray? Is it better than a Tazer? Or is it a flat out stupid idea on its face, and I should just do my best to run away instead? Remember, in a majority of defensive gun uses, the production of a firearm with threat is sufficient to stop the attack. That would not be optimal in this use, since you have very little bite to back up your bark. Still, it could keep a knife-wielding lunatic 30ft away from moving in your direction.

Is this lunacy? (I'm completely aware of how nutty it sounds)
    Should I just carry my firearm concealed anywhere, hope for the best, and accept the legal actions taken against me if the gun is ever needed in these areas? Will you pay my legal fees? ()
    Has anyone given any thought to this?

Tell my I'm crazy. I'm a big boy. I'll get over it.
    Good thoughts on that. No doubt a round from a speedy pellet gun go into a human skull and not come out most likely.

Anything manufactured prior to 1899 is not considered a firearm and can be legally sold interstate without an FFL and it can be shipped through the mail. These guns are primarily revolvers and long guns but some pistols are out there. They are available in modern cartridges that would be adequate to your needs. Expect to pay a premium. As long as you kept this gun concealed the question would never come up. If you needed to defend yourself or family, or if someone found out, I'd expect to be arrested but not charged. State and local laws will also apply and I only know my own. I am not an attorney and I don't play one on TV, consult a local attorney before following any internet advice.

Personally, I avoid most places where I can't legally carry. The "No Wallet" signs, I respect though they hold no legal status here. If you don't want my gun you don't want my wallet and I will not provide you with a profit.

Any airgun small enough to conceal is unlikely to to provide an adequate defence. It will likely increase the probability of being shot by either the bad guy or the cops.

No matter where you are when you pull and/or fire a gun I would expect to get arrested, be ready for that eventuality. I get my self defence insurance from the Armed Citizens Legal Defence Fund.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I got shot in the leg with a co2 bb gun and it brought me to my knees. I couldt imaging if he shot me 5-10 times in the chest or face

I don't think this is that crazy. In fact, I think most people buy "more gun" than they need.

For example, as a nation we are in love with the AR and the AK. Most preppers would be better served with both a Ruger 1022 rifle and a Ruger 10/45 pistol.

Consider most encounters. Few will be fought to the death, but blood from a pellet (or even a slight cut with a Swiss Army Knife) will most often have the attacker retreat to think it over.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by Ant_dawg View Post
    I got shot in the leg with a co2 bb gun and it brought me to my knees. I couldt imaging if he shot me 5-10 times in the chest or face

my cousin's kid was involved in some school event involving air rifles - of course a few have to dumbazz >>>> one kid took a pellet in the chest, got air lifted out and needed open heart surgery to save his life .... nothing to take that litely ....
    bigwheel likes this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

I just remembered, isn't there a high-powered airgun used for shooting and killing small game? I forget the name.

Oh yes, air *rifles* are a whole different ballgame. You can hunt big game with some of those things.

This thread was geared toward the handgun side of things, concealable and inconspicuous. Reducing the size of the gun greatly reduces its potential, unfortunately.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

I was referring to the mechanism, not trying to undermine the OP.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links